Morning Thermals?

streamer

If you knew the Elk were above you every morning, would you risk going up a drainage and possibly through the Elk to get above them in the morning while the thermals are coming down? Or wait until they switch and try to work around them. Take into account that the easiest way to get up the hill is up the drainage.

"would you risk going up a drainage and possibly through the Elk to get above them ..." If you bust the elk out of there, it doesn't matter if you are above or below them, they will be gone.

Go around and get above them. Then hunt downhill.

Thermals usually happen after sunlight hits and warms the higher country which in turn, draws air upward from the lower country. Since this usually takes a couple hours, if you thought you could get it done or get up to the same contour as the elk in the first couple hours of morning I'm not sure I'd go through the trouble.

If its dark when you are walking in, i would sacrifice going underneath them in the hope of getting around and set up above them whilst they are still on their feet when the thermals switch and make a quick play at them then.

Thermals/wind is everything to me, it dictates my whole hunt strategy, and its the most important factor i constantly keep aware of.

"...would you risk going up a drainage and possibly through the Elk to get above them in the morning while the thermals are coming down"

Seriously, why would you consider this?

Only Greenhorn can go through elk!
Better - if they are there every morning - why wouldn't you sleep above them?
Bivy up buttercup.

I wouldn't sleep above them because the thermals are going right down to them in the morning. In my 58 years of life I've never seen a morning thermal go up hill till roughly 8 at the earliest. I don't like thermals/wind at my back and going to the animal I'm hunting.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back