Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

More Gardiner HD 313 issues

katqanna

I attended our Region 3 CAC meeting this evening. There are additional issues going on in Gardiner, including our elk. Our Region 3 Supervisor, Sam Shepherd is going down to Gardiner to meet with the community.

The bison hunt/ as some would call it a slaughter, is wearing thin on the Gardiner community. So far there have been about 320-360 bison taken, which includes about 25 confirmed state bison hunts. There were more wounded bison ending up back in the Park that the YNP had to deal with than previous years. Howard Burt said the 4 day hunt rest after every 10 days hunting didnt work.The bison shooting is still continuing by Idaho's Nez Perce.

Here is where the elk issues come in. The Nez Perce are also shooting elk in HD 313, both cow and bull. So far there have been about 40 taken. They said that about 500 bull elk were taken in HD 313 this year (this was the regular state hunters, not Native).

Also, they are investigating a Bighorn sheep taking in the same area.

On good news, While there are only 4 game warden positions still unfilled across the state, Region 3 has all her positions filled now. Adam Pancratz said that here and in other regions they were very busy and had more calls they fielded from Tipmont than previous years.

Concerning fisheries, since FWP is amending their regulations concerning the Beaverhead and Big Hole recreation rules, it is back out for public comment and they are having a public meeting in Dillion on March 16th, and another in Butte on March 17th. They are issuing a press release tomorrow with more details. The amendment addresses closing a current loophole involving outfitters selling client days, in essence, double dipping.

Last edited:
I wonder if Howard has regretted his move from Eastern Montana to that hot box of discussion.

Wow I didn't know they could kill elk...Are they supposed to be able to?

Yes they can, by treaty. When I had my bison tag in West Yellowstone in 2013, they were smoking elk and bighorns, in addition to bison. I think they want to keep that under the radar, but they shoot plenty of them.

I can't believe they are allowed to shoot the Bighorns? Where are they doing this? In the canyon or on Deckard or what?
These 'treaties' with 'sovereign' nations are a joke.
I'm all for them being allowed, or even getting preference on management hunts for the benefit of the wildlife, such as harvesting overpopulated bison, but bighorns recovering from a pneumonia outbreak...that's over the top.

Last edited:
Might be saving a few animals over here...

There have been a few occurrences of wasted/dumped bison meat showing up around the reservation over here. I feel bad for you guys, it will probably only get worse before it gets better.

I wonder if Howard has regretted his move from Eastern Montana to that hot box of discussion.

Ya... I bet Glendive looks like the promised land now... Howard is a great guy and I am sure he will be able to wade through all of this.

Randy or Kat--- Does FWP take into account these tribal hunts on the impacts of the populations on elk and Sheep? I guess what I mean is that do they artificially lower permits for sheep knowing that the tribal hunters will be harvesting?

Yes they can, by treaty. When I had my bison tag in West Yellowstone in 2013, they were smoking elk and bighorns, in addition to bison. I think they want to keep that under the radar, but they shoot plenty of them.

Where were they smoking bighorns around West Yellowstone, Randy? Quake Lake?

Where were they smoking bighorns around West Yellowstone, Randy? Quake Lake?

I've been told that you can get within a few feet of them in the winter time down around Quake Lake. It would be such a shame if they were being shot like that.

I believe the Hellgate treaty of 1855 spells it out...pretty broad language. I know that the tribes typically hunt anywhere they want in Western Montana on FS land.

The exclusive right of taking fish in all the streams running through or bordering said reservation is further secured to said Indians; as also the right of taking fish at all usual and accustomed places, in common with citizens of the Territory, and of erecting temporary buildings for curing; together with the privilege of hunting, gathering roots and berries, and pasturing their horses and cattle upon open and unclaimed land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back