Moose Drop Camp Recap

Elmacho

My best bud and I finally go to do an outfitted drop camp for moose in the yukon delta this year. It was a logistically heavy endeavor, way more than any other hunt Ive done! Getting the meat and head home takes some planning
As you will be very far away from literally anything, you have to really think it out ahead of time. Since both myself and Partner are both OCD, we had a comfortable trip and enjoyed ourselves despite daily rain of about 10 hrs a day....We both killed good moose and cant wait to do it again. Two pieces of advice;
1) go with someone you know very well, like a brother or a friend thats like a brother. you are trusting a lot on that partner being that far away
2) hit the gym way in advance unless you are young and in great shape- we both worked out hard all year and it made moving moose not so difficult.
3) do not wait until you retire to do this type of trip. Go while your young and put off retiring a year longer...lol

Merry Christmas Everyone

Attachments

• DSCF2332.JPG
    DSCF2332.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 103
  • DSCF2385.JPG
    DSCF2385.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 102
  • DSCF2411.JPG
    DSCF2411.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 102
  • DSCF2430.JPG
    DSCF2430.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 101
I would love to go but don't know anyone else who could handle it. I still can but at age seventy not much longer.

That bull had some palms! Strange he only had two brows per side. You'd think a monster like that would have at least three. What's his spread?

I’ve been looking into doing the same hunt! Did you guys bring all the meat home? That seemed to be a huge expense. But this might be a trip for the wife and I in the near future!

We were very fortunate to have our bulls! We finished packing all to pick up spot the day before the infamous typhoon hit and stranded a lot of people and shut down western Alaska for a few days. My bull was 56, buddies was 50 wide.....we saw bigger off in the distance and after I killed...left them for next time....ya really have to be careful what ou get yourself into. My bull took three whole days to cut and move to a pick up location.....two whole days for my buddy's. They both took 7 Rem mag hits to the boiler and did not flinch.....my fourth shot I aimed for shoulder/spine to drop him so he wouldnt go into the willows or water...dropped him...both of those water and willows are not great for processing........he fell in the grass...NICE!

Yes brought all the meat home....Yes, not cheap......but probably the best wild game ive eaten....
Including cost of ice boxes and extra baggage fees, it cost the same as having it processed in Anchorage. So we had it processed and sent via truck to the lower 48. We had to drive to meet the truck and pick up the wrapped meat

I would love to go but don't know anyone else who could handle it. I still can but at age seventy not much longer.

That bull had some palms! Strange he only had two brows per side. You'd think a monster like that would have at least three. What's his spread?
Ontario......This would be a great trip if you have a son or friend in the 40's......I feel where you are though......I had no idea I would ever go, until the oportunity just "showed up" one day, with the right person!

My best bud and I finally go to do an outfitted drop camp for moose in the yukon delta this year. It was a logistically heavy endeavor, way more than any other hunt Ive done! Getting the meat and head home takes some planning
As you will be very far away from literally anything, you have to really think it out ahead of time. Since both myself and Partner are both OCD, we had a comfortable trip and enjoyed ourselves despite daily rain of about 10 hrs a day....We both killed good moose and cant wait to do it again. Two Three pieces of advice;
1) go with someone you know very well, like a brother or a friend thats like a brother. you are trusting a lot on that partner being that far away
2) hit the gym way in advance unless you are young and in great shape- we both worked out hard all year and it made moving moose not so difficult.
3) do not wait until you retire to do this type of trip. Go while your young and put off retiring a year longer...lol

Merry Christmas Everyone
Sorry, my OCD kicked in. ;)
Now, in all seriousness, congratulations to both of you on great looking bulls and a grand adventure!

Did your buddy kill one as well ? This hunt is in the works for me in the near future.

Did your buddy kill one as well ? This hunt is in the works for me in the near future.
Brad, we both killed. Day 1 and 6. Its a great hunt! Do it!
PM me for details, as I know I met you at the AZ hunters ed class in 2020

Brad, we both killed. Day 1 and 6. Its a great hunt! Do it!
PM me for details, as I know I met you at the AZ hunters ed class in 2020
Yes I do recall it was great to have meet you in person! Yeah I’m planning on 2026 going for it and definitely have some questions for you like the overall cost and getting your meat home cost and how so.

Back