Moon phase and travel logistics on scouting Mule Deer

2rocky

This question relates to an Archery Deer tag in a high desert environment.

Do you see a difference in moon phase and activity during summer scouting season?

I'm looking ahead at 8 weekends and noticed the moon will be waning on opening day and a new moon on the 4th day of the season. If my scouting trips are limited, should I try to pattern deer on the same moonphase?

Part of me says that the 90 degree days of summer is going to have more effect on their movement than how light it is at night.

Part of me also thinks maybe I should scout by spotlight.

As for Logistics, the area is 6 hours from home. If I have 2 full days I reckon I will arrive an hour before light at a high glassing spot and glass prospective country till it's too hot to be out in the sun, then drive the unit roads in the AC while deer are shaded up. Then revisit bucky spots in the evening. Next morning look at different bucky spots again. The question is whether I should hang around for an evening glassing session and drive 6 hours home after dark and get 3 hours of sleep before work in the morning.

Question : if I find a shooter buck on my early morning scout, should I watch where he goes to bed, or try and cover as much country as possible?

I have frequently counseled other hunters to use a dedicated scouting trip to learn the country first , but that was hunting elk. I think there is a good chance that I will see bucks on this scouting trip.

Hmm...if you decide to scout by spotlight make sure you have no weapons anywhere near you or your vehicle. It would be hard to explain to a game warden that you are not poaching if a weapon was nearby.

Hmm...if you decide to scout by spotlight make sure you have no weapons anywhere near you or your vehicle. It would be hard to explain to a game warden that you are not poaching if a weapon was nearby.
that goes without saying...

If it's Wyoming you can not scout by spotlight.
First and last light would be best times and then look for bedded deer during the day. The temps in the 90's will affect their movements more than moon phases right now for sure.

Interesting question. In my opinion, moon phases do effect the behavior of animals and humans. Why are Emergency Hospitals so slammed on the night of a full moon? Because people feel restless and have trouble sleeping and are generally more likely to go outside and be active.

As a test I began scheduling trips to the local shooting range on bad moon phase days. It's surprising to see how few people there on days the moon phase predicts sluggishness. I'm a believer that there's something to the moon phases. I definitely consider the moon phase when scheduling scouting trips.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back