Montana & Wyoming vacation?

duckhunt

The wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer and looking for some other road trip destinations. Plan on taking I 90 to Buffalo Wy then into Southern Montana over to Yellowstone. Spend a few days in Yellowstone and then back through Central Wyoming to Chadrin Ne to visit family. We love western history stuff so we want to see custers last stand also Oregon trail sights. Any thoughts on any other nearby places to visit?

There's some really cool places in that area. Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, and Devils Tower are great visits if you can make it work. Make some time while you're in or near Cody to spend a few hours in the Cody Firearm Museum.

The wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer and looking for some other road trip destinations. Plan on taking I 90 to Buffalo Wy then into Southern Montana over to Yellowstone. Spend a few days in Yellowstone and then back through Central Wyoming to Chadrin Ne to visit family. We love western history stuff so we want to see custers last stand also Oregon trail sights. Any thoughts on any other nearby places to visit?
I 90 to Little Bighorn Battlefield, then west through Crow Reservation to Chief Plenty Coups State Park, then west through Edgar and south to Belfry and through Bear Creek (interesting mine disaster) over to Red Lodge. Take scenic Beartooth Highway and loop west to Cooke City and Silver Gate entrance to Yellowstone. Spend at least two or three days exploring, hiking, viewing, photographing Yellowstone. Return through Cooke City to take Chief Joseph scenic highway over Dead Indian Pass and south to Cody from which to explore Buffalo Bill's historic town and gorgeous country up South Fork and North Fork of Shoshone River. Explore central Wyoming through Meeteetse, Thermopolis (visit Holiday Inn with many wildlife hunting trophys), Shoshoni, Casper, Douglas, then on to Ft Laramie near Torrington, where you can see the historical fort stopping spot for the Oregon Trail (with historic displays, actors doing chores in period clothing, etc), as well as actual wagon wheel ruts in the rocks. Beyond that, I have no good advice. Enjoy Wyoming and Montana; both worth exploring.

I 90 to Little Bighorn Battlefield, then west through Crow Reservation to Chief Plenty Coups State Park, then west through Edgar and south to Belfry and through Bear Creek (interesting mine disaster) over to Red Lodge. Take scenic Beartooth Highway and loop west to Cooke City and Silver Gate entrance to Yellowstone. Spend at least two or three days exploring, hiking, viewing, photographing Yellowstone. Return through Cooke City to take Chief Joseph scenic highway over Dead Indian Pass and south to Cody from which to explore Buffalo Bill's historic town and gorgeous country up South Fork and North Fork of Shoshone River. Explore central Wyoming through Meeteetse, Thermopolis (visit Holiday Inn with many wildlife hunting trophys), Shoshoni, Casper, Douglas, then on to Ft Laramie near Torrington, where you can see the historical fort stopping spot for the Oregon Trail (with historic displays, actors doing chores in period clothing, etc), as well as actual wagon wheel ruts in the rocks. Beyond that, I have no good advice. Enjoy Wyoming and Montana; both worth exploring.

Thanks I'm going to map that out with the wife when I get home. Alot of great info there.

If you are looking to cover ground fast take 90. Otherwise take 18 to hot springs then 385 through Custer up to deadwood. And catch 90 after that. Avoid rapid city. On the way home take 20 from chadrin all the way.

If you are looking to cover ground fast take 90. Otherwise take 18 to hot springs then 385 through Custer up to deadwood. And catch 90 after that. Avoid rapid city. On the way home take 20 from chadrin all the way.
Yeah we've been through the blackhills but definitely wouldn't mind going through there again. I also started buying deer points to hunt there.

I'll throw in another vote for the bear tooth highway. Red Lodge is a cool town with some fun stuff to keep you busy for a couple days if you stayed that long. They have the yellowstone nature center, good restaurants, fly fishing, and camping that doesn't require a reservation.

I'll echo the recommendation on the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. I spent at least half a day in the firearms portion of the museum and could have stayed longer if it wasn't for my wife being ready to move on.

I'll throw in another vote for the bear tooth highway. Red Lodge is a cool town with some fun stuff to keep you busy for a couple days if you stayed that long. They have the yellowstone nature center, good restaurants, fly fishing, and camping that doesn't require a reservation.
Be forewarned, camping anywhere has become pretty competitive.

Needles highway, badlands, Devils Tower, and… Wall Drug. Sounds hokey, but my 15yo daughter LOVED it

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back