Montana Wolf - The waiting is over!

Critter, have you given any thought to cashing in on the 100$ "bounty" that SFW offered for any wolves taken in the lower 48. I think it would be funny as hell for you to lighten their pockets.You could take some of their cash and use it to do some good.Just something for you to ponder.

Critter, have you given any thought to cashing in on the 100$ "bounty" that SFW offered for any wolves taken in the lower 48. I think it would be funny as hell for you to lighten their pockets.You could take some of their cash and use it to do some good.Just something for you to ponder.

Actually the best part about that would be that i would be taking my membership money back that i gave them the first year they started becasue the "told" us they were here to do the right thing..........

I might actually consider getting "my refund".....:D:D

How did the wolf taste?

Well, that requires an explanation.

When we walked up to it, you could smell it from a long ways off. I have never smelled a bear that stunk so bad. I mean it was worse than a day old road kill coyote (I used to skin those for money).

After talking to biologists, they suggested I get the meat tested for the multiple diseases that wild canines can carry. They told me to eat it if I wanted, but they would not, given the disease issue.

So, beside the terrible stink, the disease issues probably were what changed my mind. It sounded great to start with, but once you have a rank wolf laying there and more information about disease, things change.

Great job guys. I would love to hunt or trap a wolf someday, but I am glad we don't have them in my area.

Don't hold your breath on the $100 bounty. A few years back SFW said they would give $20 for every coyote killed in the county I live in. I turned in five coyotes. they took my name and was supposed to send a check. I guess the check got lost!

skull back from Taxidermist

Well this is what the ol bugger looks like with no hair meat left on its face. Turned out pretty dang cool.

The skull was right at 16". I think thats about average probably.....

Attachments

• wolf skull 2 small.jpg
    wolf skull 2 small.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 473
  • Wolf Skull small.jpg
    Wolf Skull small.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 466
That turned out great...

Here's a few more Montana wolves from a few years back. My buddy had a contract with the feds to 'bug' their skulls. The upper left is a coyote for reference.

Attachments

• dead wofs.jpg
    dead wofs.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 435
that looks awesome I want to get one for my desk at work and have the hide tanned for the wall at home Congrats again

Hey Fin, I hope we can compare notes at the end of the week, I'll be out every morning this week after the BBW. I went out Saturday for the first time, put my binos up to my face at day break and counted 8, 7 in a pack and one black loner. 2 were black and white and were huge. When I was just getting on them I had someone come in and fire a shot and spooked them. Next time!

Well, that requires an explanation.

When we walked up to it, you could smell it from a long ways off. I have never smelled a bear that stunk so bad. I mean it was worse than a day old road kill coyote (I used to skin those for money).

After talking to biologists, they suggested I get the meat tested for the multiple diseases that wild canines can carry. They told me to eat it if I wanted, but they would not, given the disease issue.

So, beside the terrible stink, the disease issues probably were what changed my mind. It sounded great to start with, but once you have a rank wolf laying there and more information about disease, things change.

That is exactly what happened to me. My son had mentioned he would hate to let a wolf go to waste and was considering eating one if we killed one up in Idaho but when we did the smell of the thing had me dry heaving a little when I threw her over my shoulders. No thanks on the wolf dogs!

Great thread! :cool:

Curious, is this the most viewed / posted thread there has been on OYOA Hunt Talk?

I wonder how this one thread would rate to any other epic hunt thread within any forum? I pretty selective in forums I visit... so per capita - I really have no clue, though from all the threads within this forum, I don't think I have seen a thread with my views / posts...

At the time of this post...
478 posts & 32,981 views.

Oh, heh - +1 :D

Hey, you guys should go to that link Randy just posted above for Mystery Ranch. Everybody should read what super smart Steve has to say about the wolf kill:rolleyes: I feel like i lost IQ points just reading what that retrad had to say............I can only imagine how much better this world would be without some of the incredibly stupid people that are in it.

Back