Montana WMA opener

Went to Wall Creek for first time just for an idea of what to expect. (First year shed hunter). Arrived 4 hours before the opening and was the 39th vehicle in line. Behind us another 40+ lined up. Unbelievable amount of people combing the area, walked a decent amount and didn't find anything. Was looking with binos at everyone elses packs and literally saw only one antler on a pack. One guy on a horse also had one elk antler. Unbelievable zoo, won't be doing that again, ever.

Went to Wall Creek for first time just for an idea of what to expect. (First year shed hunter). Arrived 4 hours before the opening and was the 39th vehicle in line. Behind us another 40+ lined up. Unbelievable amount of people combing the area, walked a decent amount and didn't find anything. Was looking with binos at everyone elses packs and literally saw only one antler on a pack. One guy on a horse also had one elk antler. Unbelievable zoo, won't be doing that again, ever.

A fellow HuntTalker shared some interesting Aerial Elk Survey documents with me about a month ago. It was the FWP reports regarding elk counts in the area of the Beartooth W.M.A. In the report the observer mentioned that there were only a handful of elk on the W.M.A. due to the snowline being so high so early. This made me think that shed hunters on the Beartooth were going to have a tough time. I've never joined in on the W.M.A. opener - the difference between those places and WalMart on Black Friday are slim. I know that Wall Creek is filthy with elk every spring, that said, if I were going to put a big effort in on a WMA, it may be worth getting your hands on those aerial elk surveys prior to going to give you an idea of elk locations around the time they are dropping.

I had never heard of this situation until I read the thread about the Jackson Hole gold rush. So, at the risk of exposing my ignorance, what is to stop thieves from going in early? Do they have extensive law enforcement patrols? Night vision equipment and constant surveillance? A simple reliance upon honesty?

I envision an area, weeks in advance of the opening, surrounded by people with binoculars, salivating over that *huge* bull over there, just waiting for him to drop. Then he drops. And everyone sits outside the perimeter, just waiting for the starting pistol to fire. No one spies those antlers laying out there and then belly crawls all night, out and back, to get them. They all just wait patiently. And, of course, the people in charge of the "event" don't cherry pick the best for the district headquarters office and benefit of "the public". And, the completely unthinkable: Those with early access aren't on the take.

And, if there was a record bull, I'm to believe his antlers would not work their way to the private den of some jillionaire?

Anywho, just thinking out loud. Thanks in advance for any education/enlightenment.

Last edited:
I had never heard of this situation until I read the thread about the Jackson Hole gold rush. So, at the risk of exposing my ignorance, what is to stop thieves from going in early? Do they have extensive law enforcement patrols? Night vision equipment and constant surveillance? A simple reliance upon honesty?

I envision an area, weeks in advance of the opening, surrounded by people with binoculars, salivating over that *huge* bull over there, just waiting for him to drop. Then he drops. And everyone sits outside the perimeter, just waiting for the starting pistol to fire. No one spies those antlers laying out there and then belly crawls all night, out and back, to get them. They all just wait patiently. And, of course, the people in charge of the "event" don't cherry pick the best for the district headquarters office and benefit of "the public". And, the completely unthinkable: Those with early access aren't on the take.

Anywho, just thinking out loud.

with the exception of a few gps chipped antlers that wardens put out I'm not sure there is a ton of enforcement especially if access can be had from the opposite side.

Such a crap shoot on the WMA's anymore. If guys get on there early then you won't be finding much. I've heard that Wall Creek gets hammered by the adjacent landowners well before it opens to the public. The Clearwater is the same way - used to be so much fun there and now I don't bother with it because of poachers. It is just too hard for the limited FWP resources to stop people and so it happens every year. Sorry to hear you didn't find anything.

Ironically, some people seem to "find" big piles of antlers, usually in the middle of a thicket. Sometimes even up in trees. Amazing....

Ironically, some people seem to "find" big piles of antlers, usually in the middle of a thicket. Sometimes even up in trees. Amazing....

Sometimes, those magically appearing antlers have been chipped by our wardens, and end up becoming "evidence" against "scofflaws" as well.

This is the first year in at least ten I haven't gone. The guy I normally go with didn't do well, but I heard other areas did produce.

They're hit or miss and so weather dependant. Blaming people for sneaking on early has become the blaming wolves for not getting your elk of shed hunting.

One year I hit the motherload, and had two different guys accuse me of stashing horns. Both of those guys were sitting on ridgelines all day while i was down in draws and brush digging horns out. It's an easy excuse/accusation to make.

I actually think fwp does a good job of monitoring the WMAs. Obviously they can't catch everybody, but they've caught enough and make a big enough example out of them that it surely helps.

There is virtually no monitoring in my talks with wardens and the NFS. Both say they are near impossible to police. Went to Bear Creek across the highway and talked to a rancher that said guys on horseback stay at Bear Creek (legally) and work their horses with spotlights all through March and April clean North to the Airport with huge spotlights at night. No chance of policing that, can quickly slip into NF at any time if need be. Also have heard from numerous good sources that the Wall Creek area gets picked hard by ranchers checking cattle prior to the opening. Its a shame, but pretty clear no money or time to enforce these rules. And a 200 dollar trespassing ticket is worth one antler, so guys are not worried. Damn shame for me and my kids, coming into the shed hunting game this late in our countries existence.

Seeing 100+ people combing the entire Wall Creek WMA on opening day and only one antler on a person's back pretty much sums it up. Darn Shame.

Fleecer WMA was slim pickings on Sunday and Monday on horseback. Found two small, brown muley sheds, one chalk four pt elk shed, a 3pt muley deadhead and a chalk 8 pt whitey deadhead. Lots of people in atvs and trucks. Did not see anyone else with antlers. Went back yesterday hiking and didn't find anything.

There is virtually no monitoring in my talks with wardens and the NFS. Both say they are near impossible to police. Went to Bear Creek across the highway and talked to a rancher that said guys on horseback stay at Bear Creek (legally) and work their horses with spotlights all through March and April clean North to the Airport with huge spotlights at night. No chance of policing that, can quickly slip into NF at any time if need be. Also have heard from numerous good sources that the Wall Creek area gets picked hard by ranchers checking cattle prior to the opening. Its a shame, but pretty clear no money or time to enforce these rules. And a 200 dollar trespassing ticket is worth one antler, so guys are not worried. Damn shame for me and my kids, coming into the shed hunting game this late in our countries existence.

Dang, sounds like a much worse situation down there. The WMAs I hunt sound like they're a lot easier to keep an eye on.

The worst part is this is nothing new. The ranchers have been picking them early for 20 years or more. Wish they wouldn't allow ranchers in there till 15th also. I was there at midnight few times back in late 1990's and it was already evident.

Its a shame, but pretty clear no money or time to enforce these rules. And a 200 dollar trespassing ticket is worth one antler, so guys are not worried.

Very true. The only way I see things getting any better with antler poachers is stiffer penalties. Something like $1000 for being in a closed area plus $1000 per antler in your possession would probably make most people more hesitant to sneak in early.

Why even bother to look on the WMA's? Leave them to the amateurs and poachers.

I went one time to the Sun River...what a cluster-shag and I said "never again".

I spent my time on open public lands in MT and found it more rewarding not being part of the WMA chit-show.

ant1.JPG

antl2.JPG

buzzshed.JPG

96sheds.JPG

Dang! Nice bone piles BuzzH! I would be thrilled with any one of those elk antlers..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back