Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana Unit 410 Archery

KB_

Looking for some tips on how to approach the elk in this unit. I drew a 410-21 permit for archery, and I have never tried hunting this unit before. What I do know is that the elk may not be concentrated to specific areas here and that they can be pretty nomadic < is that true?

My general thought process is to find the good water holes that have cover around them and close by. < Would that be considered a true statement?

Also do these have similar behavior to calling that elk in heavy timbered mountains have? Is it even worth utilizing calls for them here?

I have a close friend from Michigan coming out to join me (not hunting) and I'm hoping to get into some elk here. Any tips and tricks anybody is willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Will be out there for a week straight and most weekends probably if not successful. I plan on setting up a wall tent to keep my guest comfortable, this is his first western trip so I probably shouldn't stick him in a tiny tent on a cliff haha. (or should I?)

Thanks

Good luck. Drier than hell this year and water holes have basically all evaporated.

They're pretty call shy, from what I know. A hoochie mama might as well be a wolf howl from the reaction it elicits. Better off listening for their bugles to locate them, and then trying to ambush them between their bedding and feeding areas.

You will see plenty of elk. Getting them to come to a call might be a different story. Better to spot them and try getting ahead of where you think they are going. Be ready to see plenty of people as well. Though the chances seem pretty low this year of getting a huge rain storm I’d make sure try and camp off the crooked creek marina road. There’s actually some gravel on that road. The rest are powdered gumbo

You will see plenty of elk. Getting them to come to a call might be a different story. Better to spot them and try getting ahead of where you think they are going. Be ready to see plenty of people as well. Though the chances seem pretty low this year of getting a huge rain storm I’d make sure try and camp off the crooked creek marina road. There’s actually some gravel on that road. The rest are powdered gumbo
I was trying to find that road, where is that located?

Dis regard I found the road haha

Cheat on research

For those of you who may have hunted both sides of the river; how would you hunt differently, or any general remarks about the differences in human or elk behavior between 410 and say, 622? 😜

For those of you who may have hunted both sides of the river; how would you hunt differently, or any general remarks about the differences in human or elk behavior between 410 and say, 622? 😜
Just go hunt and you'll see both people and elk. Not sure what more information you want out of the different threads you've started and commented on about the breaks units. Time to get in there and burn a little boot leather.

Ya you’re right. A lot of posts on 410 too. None as helpful as burning boot leather, of course. My bad…

It’s really dry in Montana especially that unit. I would be focusing on spots within a couple miles of the lake, Missouri or musselshell rivers unless it really starts raining before September which seems doubtful

Thank you all for the tips, this helps a ton. If you have the permit and want to tag along feel free to reach out. I do have an ATV which is helpful for those long days.

Thank you all for the tips, this helps a ton. If you have the permit and want to tag along feel free to reach out. I do have an ATV which is helpful for those long days.
An ATV isn’t that helpful in that unit as you’ll find people will take their trucks most places an ATV will go. I had the permit last year and drew again as well. Really hoping for some rain or not sure if I’ll even bother going over there. Good luck!

Up that direction today. On the bright side, looks about the same as last year and 2017. Dry and brown. Ok, so not very bright. Some ponds still have water and should make it to September is we get normal rain. The problem will be food. Grass isn’t as tall and I’m sure less seed. I’m guessing that was from low
moisture from mild winter. Cattle are hitting public hard. Elk will move toward rivers. Pray for rain.

Up that direction today. On the bright side, looks about the same as last year and 2017. Dry and brown. Ok, so not very bright. Some ponds still have water and should make it to September is we get normal rain. The problem will be food. Grass isn’t as tall and I’m sure less seed. I’m guessing that was from low
moisture from mild winter. Cattle are hitting public hard. Elk will move toward rivers. Pray for rain.
Good to know, thanks!

An ATV isn’t that helpful in that unit as you’ll find people will take their trucks most places an ATV will go. I had the permit last year and drew again as well. Really hoping for some rain or not sure if I’ll even bother going over there. Good luck!
its really more to not beat my truck up so bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back