Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Unit 333-01

I live pretty close too, I’d be happy to go out and glass with you and help you pack when you tag one.. the state land and blm at brown back gulch looks promising as well as sugarloaf and warm springs.. get ahold of me when you’re around, I’d be happy to help.
I’ll gladly help as well. I’m on the western side of the unit and have some promising leads. If you need somewhere to stay I have room in the house.

I’ll gladly help as well. I’m on the western side of the unit and have some promising leads. If you need somewhere to stay I have room in the house.
Awesome, thank you! I dropped the money on a nice tent so that’s my plan as of now, but if I freeze one night I’ll definitely take you up on that.

I have what I think is a decent game plan for the hunt, I’ll PM you and see what you think if you’d like

Hello all. I am from Louisiana and have been an avid hunted my entire life. I have killed many whitetail deer in Louisiana, Texas, and Missouri. I once even went to Florida and killed one. I have developed a desire and passion to travel out west and kill an elk and a mule deer. Last year I made my first ever attempt at an over the counter bull tag in Colorado in the Gunnison are. I ate a tag sandwich! I would love this year to try Montana and I am looking at Region 3 and wanting to go for B-Licenses for a cow elk and whitetail does. I don't expect to kill an elk but I'd like to at least give it an honest effort. The deer license would be to hopefully bring home some meat.

I've narrowed my choices down based off license availability but that's still pretty broad. I currently am looking at Units:
300 (elk)
302 (elk)
311 (deer and elk)
312 (deer and elk)
320 (deer and elk)
322 (deer and elk)
323 (elk)
324 (deer and elk)
325 (deer and elk)
326 (deer and elk)
327 (elk)
328 (elk)
329 (elk)
330 (deer and elk)
331 (elk)
332 (elk)
333 (deer)
340 (deer)
360 (deer)

I'd never ask for a honey hole, but could someone give me some advise on where to narrow down my search too. We'd like to tent camp to cut down on travel time and to just enjoy the experience.

Hello all. I am from Louisiana and have been an avid hunted my entire life. I have killed many whitetail deer in Louisiana, Texas, and Missouri. I once even went to Florida and killed one. I have developed a desire and passion to travel out west and kill an elk and a mule deer. Last year I made my first ever attempt at an over the counter bull tag in Colorado in the Gunnison are. I ate a tag sandwich! I would love this year to try Montana and I am looking at Region 3 and wanting to go for B-Licenses for a cow elk and whitetail does. I don't expect to kill an elk but I'd like to at least give it an honest effort. The deer license would be to hopefully bring home some meat.

I've narrowed my choices down based off license availability but that's still pretty broad. I currently am looking at Units:
300 (elk)
302 (elk)
311 (deer and elk)
312 (deer and elk)
320 (deer and elk)
322 (deer and elk)
323 (elk)
324 (deer and elk)
325 (deer and elk)
326 (deer and elk)
327 (elk)
328 (elk)
329 (elk)
330 (deer and elk)
331 (elk)
332 (elk)
333 (deer)
340 (deer)
360 (deer)

I'd never ask for a honey hole, but could someone give me some advise on where to narrow down my search too. We'd like to tent camp to cut down on travel time and to just enjoy the experience.
How many times are you going to post the exact same thing?

300 (elk)
302 (elk)
311 (deer and elk)
312 (deer and elk)
320 (deer and elk)
322 (deer and elk)
323 (elk)
324 (deer and elk)
325 (deer and elk)
326 (deer and elk)
327 (elk)
328 (elk)
329 (elk)
330 (deer and elk)
331 (elk)
332 (elk)
333 (deer)
340 (deer)
360 (deer)

Just go hunt I get shit full of people looking for a hand out. It’s ok to go hunt and try to figure out an area. I’ve had plenty of tags that I just went and figured out myself. If you want better odds get an outfitter, otherwise just go hunt.

Just go hunt I get shit full of people looking for a hand out. It’s ok to go hunt and try to figure out an area. I’ve had plenty of tags that I just went and figured out myself. If you want better odds get an outfitter, otherwise just go hunt.
There’s a lot of truth to this. If you’re tent camping, plan on a 7-10 day adventure with nothing tying you down. Go hunt and explore new country.

The reason I’ve posted so many times is I’m new to the forum and I couldn’t create a thread until I’ve posted 10 times. But thank you for reading all 10.

I don’t expect a pin drop on a map just some local knowledge of the area and what to expect. If someone could help me narrow down the list of units even better. I do live 1900 miles away.

If and when you ever get ready to hunt in Louisiana you’d find we’re way more helpful than a rude go find a dang spot yourself response. I don’t mind hunting for the game but last I checked Montana is a pretty big place to go hunt.

The reason I’ve posted so many times is I’m new to the forum and I couldn’t create a thread until I’ve posted 10 times. But thank you for reading all 10.

I don’t expect a pin drop on a map just some local knowledge of the area and what to expect. If someone could help me narrow down the list of units even better. I do live 1900 miles away.

If and when you ever get ready to hunt in Louisiana you’d find we’re way more helpful than a rude go find a dang spot yourself response. I don’t mind hunting for the game but last I checked Montana is a pretty big place to go hunt.
Dude .... your over thinking this . Just go hunt

The amount of information available to you is unlimited compared to what people used to have. There is zero reason to be asking for anything. Find an area that has elk and deer and get to it. These posts are what have slowly wrecked public land hunting. Don’t rule out getting an outfitter that is what they are there for. Good luck.

If and when you ever get ready to hunt in Louisiana you’d find we’re way more helpful than a rude go find a dang spot yourself response.
Welcome to the forum.

You have to understand how inundated this place gets with people looking for shortcuts. Be patient. Contribute in a meaningful way, study old threads, and this place will be the best place on the web for your western hunting and conservation interests. I wish there was something similar geared toward eastern hunting.

The part of your post I quoted is one of the reasons why Louisiana public land is wrecked and still on the down hill slide. Facebook and the advent of GPS mapping on a smartphone = no more honey holes left. No navigational skills needed to get back in the places no one used to venture on the piece of public that was discovered on FB when some yahoo has to brag about the spot he killed the buck.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

I think y’all are missing my biggest question. Out of the units listed which ones have whitetail and elk? Or do they all?

For example:
When I went to Colorado I seen plenty of mule deer but the area we were hunting for instance didn’t have any whitetail. I’m guessing the Region 3 area of Montana has areas similar where some sections do not have both species I will be hunting.

I think y’all are missing my biggest question. Out of the units listed which ones have whitetail and elk? Or do they all?

For example:
When I went to Colorado I seen plenty of mule deer but the area we were hunting for instance didn’t have any whitetail. I’m guessing the Region 3 area of Montana has areas similar where some sections do not have both species I will be hunting.

All the information you seek is already out there on the web for the taking.

For example:
Use the harvest statistics for this, gives an idea of what is where.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back