Montana Unit 333-01

Morning, hunter from Louisiana here, starting my first year of back country hunting.

I made a rash decision for draw tags and ended up with an Elk B tag for 333-01 in Montana. I did some research, and it’s not a very good tag. There isn’t much public land for me to hunt from what it seems.

I’m still going to go and test my luck. I’ll use it as a learning experience on elk patterns and just to learn the land. It will be a lot different than Louisiana.

does anyone have experience with that unit, or any advice they can give?
Hoping to at least see some elk.

There isn’t much public land for me to hunt from what it seems.
Correct, but it doesn't really matter when you draw a B tag not valid on USFS public land in a district with little other public land.

Recommend contacting FWP Region 3 office, as there is likely contact information for private land owners who may allow access to hunt cow elk.

Correct, but it doesn't really matter when you draw a B tag not valid on USFS public land in a district with little other public land.

Recommend contacting FWP Region 3 office, as there is likely contact information for private land owners who may allow access to hunt cow elk.
I’ll have to do that. I found a few areas using Onx for BLM units I could hunt, but I wasn’t sure how populated it would be

I don't understand much about what Montana fish and game does. You can shoot a cow anywhere with a general tag, but need a tag to shoot one on private? Is this a second elk tag. Or are you penalized for drawing a tag?

Screenshot_20210703-084148_Drive.jpg

I live near that unit, and have seen lots of elk on private after they come down out of the mountains. It will have to be a late season hunt for sure. Maybe you can find a ranch that will let you shoot one.

The screen shot above says not valid on National Forest Lands. What about BLM? There is some BLM land in that unit.

I think your fine. Given your tag eliminates 75 percent of the unit, it might make it easier to hunt . You can hunt state land and BLM.
I definitely would call every land owner in that area.

Awesome. I’ll be doing some research this week. I figured the BLM is safe, and obviously can’t hunt the Tobacco Root Mountains.
Going to contact some private landowners as well.
I wanted to get with y’all first so I don’t waste a long drive from Louisiana, so thank you to everyone

That makes sense, but the unrelenting assault on elk is mind-boggling.
We hammer them on the public, they avoid pressure by retreating to private. So.... we have to have extra tags to kill them on private.
If it wasn’t for the fact that certain landowners have a high tolerance for elk in spite of the low tolerance for elk that their neighbors have, we would have a lot less elk.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back