Montana Trip

Matt/VT

Taking a trip to Missoula this summer. Primary focus is my girlfriend running the marathon there, I'll be doing the half.
Will be heading up to Glacier NP for a few days, hitting the RMEF headquarters and generally touring around. My folks are going as well, so I'd like to get a half day or so on the water in the form of a guided fishing trip with my father, will need gear, etc. Would also like to sneak in a scenic float for my gf and mother.

Generally looking for advice about what to see, places to eat and possibly who to contact for fishing. While the DIY stuff would be fun, the time crunch doesn't really allow for it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Matt

Glacier Rafting Company offers some fun floats right out of Glacier Park from West Glacier. It's a bit touristy, but fun. Fishing can be good for catch-and-release cutthroat and the whitewater is fun without being too threatening. There are outfits near Missoula as well.

https://glacierraftco.com/

Go to Kettle House Brewery and get some of this.

Depending on what size of river you want to fish, you could do the Blackfoot or Rock Creek in very close proximity to Missoula.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 659
Ditto on the Kettlehouse. Hit Draughtworks too. Personally I would skip Big Sky. I've heard good things about Montgomery Distillery but have never had their stuff. I like to eat at the Montana Club when I'm there, but its not fancy or anything. We don't have one in Bozeman. If you like to dance to country, hit up the Sunrise Saloon.

Fishing wise, I assume you want to fly fish? I don't know about the guides there for that, but depending on the time of year, Rock Creek might have the salmon fly hatch going on. If you are talking lake fishing, talk to A Able up in the Big Fork area for on your way to GNP and you can fish Flathead. Catch some lake trout with him. You and your dad can fish and your mom and gf can spend money in Big Fork. Maybe they'll see Brad and Angelina!!!! Just kidding. But I do hear they have a place up there.

You and your girlfriend will love the half and full courses. Check out a float down the Alberton gorge, or take a drive up the Swan Valley.

I would drive the east side of Flathead lake to glacier. A little slower but way more scenic, it takes you through the swan.

I would drive the east side of Flathead lake to glacier. A little slower but way more scenic, it takes you through the swan.

You're talking of highway 83, not 35 right? I completely agree. 83 is an amazing drive. Stop in Seeley for fried chicken.

On the way back down drive around the lake. On clear days it's an amazing view of the Missions. If you take 3-4 hours out of the trip and spend them on the National Bison Range you won't regret it. The best wildlife viewing experience I know of. Evenings are best.

Taking a trip to Missoula this summer. Primary focus is my girlfriend running the marathon there, I'll be doing the half.
Will be heading up to Glacier NP for a few days, hitting the RMEF headquarters and generally touring around. My folks are going as well, so I'd like to get a half day or so on the water in the form of a guided fishing trip with my father, will need gear, etc. Would also like to sneak in a scenic float for my gf and mother.

Generally looking for advice about what to see, places to eat and possibly who to contact for fishing. While the DIY stuff would be fun, the time crunch doesn't really allow for it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Matt

When you head to Glacier, I'd hit up East Glacier first. That's where Lake McDonald & Avalanche Creek live, and both are worth seeing. Going-to-the-Sun Road is awesome heading eastbound, and it's worth it to stop at the top to hike to either Hidden Lake (super easy quick hike) or do part of the Highline Trail (Mtn goats galore :) ) From there keep heading east, you'll go through St Mary's where you'll see Wild Good Island (iconic) and then you'll head out of the park to the highway and hang a louie. The thing to note here is that you can always find camping in Apgar or Avalanche which is a good bit to know if you're crunched for time.

When I go to the park, I stay in Many Glacier or Two Medicine. Many Glacier is often missed bc it's out of the way of the main stretch. If you guys are coming off the marathon, there's an awesome easy 10 miler into Iceberg Lake that would be a great recovery hike to stretch out and get moving. Grinnell Glacier is another awesome chance to see something that is rapidly disappearing, that's a bit more of a climber. Swiftcurrent Pass is a straight up leg burner after you go a few easy miles in but majorly worth it if you're looking for something longer. Tons of wildlife always on that trail. Two Medicine is by far the best campsite, on the water, incredibly picturesque, but you'll want to get to each site early to make sure you can get a spot. Many Glacier fills up quickly in the summer, but it also has a hotel with super cute cabins where you can make reservations.

Hope this helps, have a great trip, Glacier is such a special place. Every time I go I feel like I've crossed over into some wilderness-filled dreamscape. It is epic!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back