Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana shoulder season help wanted please

JO-5

Hi guys, I’m planning on heading back to MT the first week in January to try and fill my general elk tag. I’ve hunted MT before but never in Region 4. I called and talked with FW&P and an Elk Hunt Info Coordinator and they did help out a little. They informed me that in Region 4 hunting is allowed on State and BLM land. After talking with them I located some good looking State and BLM on my OnXmaps. Based on those locations I’m thinking of focusing most of my attention on the Lewistown area. My questions are: Is anyone familiar with that area and the elk herds there that would be willing to share any info? Are there property owners that usually allow hunting or allow hunters to walk through to access public? Is there a “winter” range for elk anywhere? Are the elk still up high because of the mild weather so far this winter?
Any information is greatly appreciated. My freezer is getting empty and I’m really hoping to fill it with delicious elk meat! Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
n bar

You mean shouldn't season?? Sorry, too easy & tempting - carry on.

I hear the owners of the N-Bar are in a festive mood this holiday season and have opened their property to those looking to fill tags under the shoulder season.

Planning on hunting the 411, 412HDs around Lewistown. Might go farther west if I can’t find anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaDon
Back