Montana regulations question

Ponderosa

Hi guys,

Hoping you can clear something up for me. If you draw an elk permit, are you restricted to only hunting in that district, or can you also hunt general areas with your elk license in addition to the permit district?

Also, for deer, if you were to draw a permit, it looks like you can only hunt antlered mule deer in that district; does this imply that you can still hunt does and/or whitetail bucks in other general hunt districts?

Thanks in advance. We are moving to MT this summer and I want to make sure I understand correctly before applying, as this season will likely have a steep learning curve in terms of starting to figure out areas. Ultimately I'd like to be able to be mobile and have as many options as possible.

1) Yes but if you shoot an elk outside your draw unit the draw permit becomes invalid (unless you are using a cow tag)

2) Yes but I don't know of many units that allow antlerless mule deer (doe) hunting without a B tag.

Last edited:
I don't know for Elk "permits" vs General A and B license (Tags) though I had a Muley deer "permit" that required I only hunt muleys in that one specific district and as a permit, it must be used in conjunction with my deer license.

My only exception was hunting whitetail. That was simply based on the use of my general A deer tag abiding by the requirements for whichever district I chose.

Have muley numbers gone up in region 7 ? Curious because they are making available a couple thousand b muley tags in the region 7 hd's

Nope
If they're up it's only slightly from the pitiful numbers of the last few years.

Nice to see a question about Montana that doesn't involve corner crossing.

Well that's what I thought , now they want to kill a couple thousand does ? Strange

Deer numbers are starting to increase but are far from recovered and much of the increase is on private land. Far to many of the doe tags will be filled on the public land and this will only compound the problem of bucks leaving public land to rut with the does in the hay fields. Selling a couple thousand doe tags right now is a mistake. Just my opinion.

Antlerradar

Deer numbers are starting to increase but are far from recovered and much of the increase is on private land. Far to many of the doe tags will be filled on the public land and this will only compound the problem of bucks leaving public land to rut with the does in the hay fields. Selling a couple thousand doe tags right now is a mistake. Just my opinion.

Antlerradar

+1
Agree 100%

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back