Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Montana region 7 elk

SDbuckmaster

Hey guys new to the site. I drew a region 7 elk and deer combo tag. I hunted the Long Pines Custer Forest for deer last year. Took a scouting trip to the Custer Forest between Broadus and Ashland did see a couple elk. Was wondering if anyone has had any luck for elk in these spots.

Better check the regs a lot closer pretty sure all of 7 is elk permit only can't hunt on general tag. Hate to see ya get hammered man!;)

Is that the 799-15 tag or the 798-15 tag. I could give you some insights on the 798 area. Not all of region 7 is the same tag.

Duh!!!

I keep forgetting about that bundle tag. I even have it myself. There is a really good block mgmt that I know of in the 798 area. My bad. Good luck on Yur hunt.

Got ya thought you were saying you just had the combo tag with no permit. I always hunt 6 and can't help ya on 7 info much.

There is quite a few elk in those areas, the problem is they like to stay on the private areas for the most part and you have to deal with lots of pressure. It can be hard to get away from roads, but I have found elk while dealing with others in the general area. Most of the forest is this way you just have to keep a good mind set and get after it. After the fire season last year which you probably noticed things are looking good this year. Lots of moisture so lots of grass. This will keep the elk spread out for the most part so you may go a few days without seeing or hearing a thing. Love hunting the area and have had decent luck. Like I said you just have to get used to being close to roads and people. Generally where the people are the elk are at. Middle of the week is the best time to be out as most people hunt the weekends. Best of luck. Any specific questions pm me and I'll see if it's areas I normally hit.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back