Montana preference point only purchase help

Eric.MN

Can someone help educate me on this. Figure I'll buy a preference point only for a future hunt in Montana, is it a print only application I have to send in with a check or is there a link to buy the poin onlyt online like Wyoming? I can't seem find a online purchase link, but I don't know Montanas web site that well yet. I don't have a printer is why I'm concerned.

Thanks

Don't waste your time with a preference point. You can buy leftover licenses OTC, or you are guaranteed a license if you put in the drawing.

If at some point the drawing is oversubscribed, then buy your preference point.

I want to do a elk hunt there in the future, just thinking of investing for the future is all. I see that must be a silly thought tho.

Okay forgive me for my ignorance cause i admit I do not know much about Montanas system but what is the difference between bonus and preference? Its not that clear to me, and I called it preference because I came to this link to buy a preference point only for deer/elk/combination
http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=69029

If my understanding is correct, a preference point "helps" you get a license. I say "helps" because it's been 100% draw the last few years, so there's no point.

A bonus point helps you get a permit for a restricted area. I don't believe you can buy a bonus point, you only accumulate bonus points when you are unsuccessful in drawing your permit (and elected to participate in the bonus point program).

For a combo license that is useable in any general unit that does not require a permit there is a preference point system. However, over the last 3 years these licenses have not sold out through drawing and there is no need to buy one.

A bonus point is applicable if you want to apply for a unit that requires a permit.

If you want to hunt in the future, you can do so on a general license, huge amounts of the state are open to the general license. A preference point currently is worthless here, as there are tags available today. If you are thinking of trying for a permit unit in the future you can purchase a bonus point on your application.

So preference points must be NR only. Explains my ignorance. mtmuley

Yes. The funny thing is they went into effect either the same year or year after I-161 was passed, essentially making them worth the same as an ice vending maching on the North Pole.

And, it is a true preference point system.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back