Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana or Colorado?

AZbywayofWI

Here is the synopsis: I have lived in Arizona for 4 years (moved here to be closer to my young son, it's a long story), my new wife has lived here for 16 years and we are both originally from the Midwest. In 9 years my son turns 18, that means he is on his own and we can bug out and get away from this crowd and the ridiculous heat!

Now the question, if you could move to either Montana or Colorado, which one would you move to and why?

We both love the mountains and the outdoors (hiking, hunting, camping and so on) and I have experience with both states but have never lived there. I do not want to be on the east side of Denver (the closer to the mountains the better), nor do I want to live in the city. However, I will also need to work at least another 10 years when we get there before I can retire. I do like that the city is close for activities such as football games, dining out and stuff; but we want to buy property and build which means being in the city is going to be way out of my price range.

In regards to Montana, love it. However, she is not a huge fan of a ton of snow. I like Missoula and Bozeman and we will probably take a trip next summer to check the area out since the only real experience I have had with those areas is just when I was passing through. Other than these facts I know zilch about these two cities

So for two adults that will have to work for 10-12 more years, with a desire to be close to the mountains, who want to build a home we would most likely retire in; Montana or Colorado?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Matt

Jokes aside, my perspective is that your wife's happiness is probably the deciding factor. It sounds like your heart is in MT, and I don't blame you. If you can find a place with winters mild enough for her up there and she can get by without access to the amenities of a large city, I would choose MT.

Whichever way you decide it will probably change depending on where your son is at that time. At least that's how it would probably be in my case.

Whichever way you decide it will probably change depending on where your son is at that time. At least that's how it would probably be in my case.
He will be 18 at that time! HE IS ON HIS OWN haha. JK. But seriously, he will either be in college or maybe go into the military like I did. And if he wants to come live where we are at I would be super stoked about that as well!

Jokes aside, my perspective is that your wife's happiness is probably the deciding factor. It sounds like your heart is in MT, and I don't blame you. If you can find a place with winters mild enough for her up there and she can get by without access to the amenities of a large city, I would choose MT.
Happy wife, happy life! I will say that she is the one who brought up Montana, I was only talking about Colorado. As long as she gets a beach vacation a couple times a year she is happy!

Bozeman gets some pretty good snow, so if she doesn’t like winter conditions you might want to rethink that. Livingston through Billings is the banana belt of Montana, there’s snow but the chinooks warm things up frequently. That also comes with wind. I’ve never lived in Missoula, but winters seem less cold and snowy than Bozeman.

Bozeman gets some pretty good snow, so if she doesn’t like winter conditions you might want to rethink that. Livingston through Billings is the banana belt of Montana, there’s snow but the chinooks warm things up frequently. That also comes with wind. I’ve never lived in Missoula, but winters seem less cold and snowy than Bozeman.
She is not a fan of snow but states she can deal with it. By the time we head out of AZ, she will have been here for 25 years roasting in the heat, I think she will welcome the change; even if she is iffy about it now.

I would just think your odds of finding another good job for 10-12 years is higher in colorado, and if you wife is not a fan of harsh winters than it seems things are tipping towards colorado

i always hear people say you really need to think seriously about how snowy parts of montana can be and for how long they are, even if you say you'll be fine with it

it's expensive along the front range here in co, people usually leave colorado to retire, not move here, it can be difficult to do the latter for some

if it were me, and only my decision, i'd be trying to move to montana though.

My favorite Montana towns, in no particular order, are Ennis, Dillon, Malta, Choteau, and Lewistown.

I was thinking Missoula or Bozeman because they are still decent sized cities where I could work, and probably have some amenities that bigger cities have. Like a Target, a store dear to her heart!

I was thinking Missoula or Bozeman because they are still decent sized cities where I could work, and probably have some amenities that bigger cities have. Like a Target, a store dear to her heart!
I figured that. If she wants medium sized city shopping and such Billings isn’t a bad option. Not as fancy as Bozeman, but there’s nice places to eat and shop and you’re only 45 minutes from the Beartooths.

I would just think your odds of finding another good job for 10-12 years is higher in colorado, and if you wife is not a fan of harsh winters than it seems things are tipping towards colorado

i always hear people say you really need to think seriously about how snowy parts of montana can be and for how long they are, even if you say you'll be fine with it

it's expensive along the front range here in co, people usually leave colorado to retire, not move here, it can be difficult to do the latter for some

if it were me, and only my decision, i'd be trying to move to montana though.
You made some great points. I work in the petroleum industry as well as own my own company in that same industry, so unless something dramatic happens I feel that I could finish up my career anywhere. Your statement about being expensive along the front range is something I have already discovered, which is a bummer; however as you stated it doesn't appear to be as snowy there as it is in Montana. Decisions decisions!

I figured that. If she wants medium sized city shopping and such Billings isn’t a bad option. Not as fancy as Bozeman, but there’s nice places to eat and shop and you’re only 45 minutes from the Beartooths.
I worked in the Beartooths for a summer, loved it! Thanks for the advice!

however as you stated it doesn't appear to be as snowy there as it is in Montana.

the winters here are quite mild along the front range, quite mild indeed

we seem to always set temperature swing records because we have a 75 degree january day, followed by 24 hour swing to -12 and 2 feet of snow, then right back to 63 and sunny and the snow is gone in 15 hours

the winters here are quite mild along the front range, quite mild indeed

we seem to always set temperature swing records because we have a 75 degree january day, followed by 24 hour swing to -12 and 2 feet of snow, then right back to 63 and sunny and the snow is gone in 15 hours
I grew up snowmobiling in Wisconsin, would love to be able to do that where ever I move to. Even if I have to trailer up into the higher elevations. Is that doable in the Front Range?

Montana if you do not plan to fly much. Almost everything is a connection anywhere you depart out of Montana. If anticipate medical issues as age, Colorado could be a better choice. No interest in living in Wyoming a bit north of the Colorado border so a straight shot into Denver's airport?

I grew up snowmobiling in Wisconsin, would love to be able to do that where ever I move to. Even if I have to trailer up into the higher elevations. Is that doable in the Front Range?

yeah it's not bad, east half of rabbit ears pass is a snowmobile playground, probably 2-4 hour drive depending on where you live along hte front range from denver north. plenty of other spots too, fremont pass comes to mind. plenty of options, but all would involve driving

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back