Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana Mule deer Unit 410

gregt9146

My brother and I are heading to Montana this November to do some Mule deer hunting. We've hunted mule deer in Western ND's badlands before and have never been to this part of Montana so I am wondering what to expect as for as size of deer (not that it has to be 190 class buck) and hunting pressure in the middle of November. I am not overly worried about weather conditions in November cause being from North Dakota I've pretty much seen it all from 80 above to -20 with 4 feet of snow on the ground. I also drew a cow elk tag for that zone and was wondering if you will see both in the same area's. Thanks for any info that might be given.

I've never hunted that Far East, I hope you have a GPS and I would suggest a hunt on x chip. I would also suggest calling the region 4 FWP office in Lewistown and speak with the area biologist Sonya I believe is her name. She may give you a few areas to try hunting! I hope this helps. I hunted elk south and east of Lewistown, this area has a lot of private porperty!

I do have a gps with a chip and I also have a call into Sonya just waiting for a call back. I hope to make it out that way here in Aug and do some looking around, but not sure how much that will help me when our hunt is in November and the animals will be hunted hard for 2 1/2 month before we get there.

Greg, sounds like you're on it. Do you have a Delorme atlas, if so if you look closely at the map it has land sections, I'm looking at the page with the town of Grassrange and to the north and east it had a lot of BLM land. I learned something else last year I believe the state of Montana owns a section every 4th section! I could be wrong on the exact number. I suggest getting the atlas. Good luck. Look into the block management for that area. FWP
will mail you a book on that region if you call them. I suggest going on FWP's site before you call them because you can request property's map while ordering the book.

Last edited:
Thanks sneakypete I don't have that map I do however have the BLM maps for the area, and I will look into the property maps from the FWP

Sections 16 and 36 were at one time all state school sections. Many have been traded/sold over the years, so that is no longer accurate.

I've hunted elk inn 410 quite a bit. Of all the deer units in MT, 410 would be very low on my list of places to hunt mule deer.

Good luck. Surely cool country.

I have a friend that lives in lewistown. We have hunted unit 410.... twice in 3 years, and heres what I can tell you about it....

Deer numbers are down, but they are coming back (slowly) from what I have been told. We did see quite a few smaller bucks last year, so who knows what they will be this year?!?. My buddy HAS taken a few REALLY nice bucks in that unit, but those were over a span of alot of years. Lots of BLM land so there is plenty of opportunity to get out. I just started to hunt out west (from Mich.) so I cant say I know alot about the unit (or Montana for that matter), but it was a good place for me to get my feet wet. I enjoyed it, so I guess its what you make out of it. Good luck!

I've hunted elk inn 410 quite a bit. Of all the deer units in MT, 410 would be very low on my list of places to hunt mule deer.

Good luck. Surely cool country.

I lived in Lewistown for 6 years and would agree with Randy. If a person puts some miles on their truck and feet you may find a decent buck. There are bits and pieces of public and private with all getting pretty heavy pressure as this is a very popular region. I see a lot of forkies shot over there.

Sonja is a great gal and will steer you as best she can but don't limit yourself to 1 unit.

The atlas I was talking about you can purchase at any borders or good book store in the travel section.

thanks everyone for the info.

Should we start our efforts along the Musselshell or should we be more west of there looking for the deer or should we concentrate on the CMR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back