Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Mule Deer District 270

First update (non-update)

As suspected, I spent the entirely of bow season chasing elk in 380 with a couple permit holders - one being a best friend and the other a new friend I met here on the forums :). We had an amazing season but neither were able to stick a bull of their liking. I think both will tell you it was the best bow season either has ever had. Attached is a screen shot from a bull I called in and got on video. I was only able to spend half of one day in 270 and spent that time learning a few more road systems and doing some glassing. We did not see any mature bucks but saw roughly 50 does and fawns and younger bucks. That district is enormous!! I will not be able to get down for opening weekend but will be there for the first time the second weekend of season and then on and off for the rest of the season. I will report back as things progress. I am super excited for this opportunity!

Keep tabs on those does. Once the rut kicks in the mature bucks will find them.

I for one would love a play by play. that's my old stomping ground! I cant wait to hear how it goes Mark! I doubt I'd be much help but I have friends there and they are hunting elk in that country all season.

Thanks Kyle! Not sure how I am going to get through this week of work with hunting on the brain but best to not get fired I reckon. I will reach out if I find myself struggling but feel like I have a good game plan from the scouting I have done.

We saw some pretty good rut action with this really cold weather this weekend. I bet that tag is real good from the get-go this year.

The truck is about packed with everything I own and I'm about ready to head out for my first 3-day stint. Can't believe how much this has consumed me through the week. Looks like I will be on my own this first go around as my boys and buddies all have other commitments this weekend. Will be staying in Hamilton....if anyone local from down in the Bitterroot wants to meet some evening for a beer and to trade hunting stories, just shoot me a PM. Would be fun to meet some forum members. I will be there through Sunday at least and longer if things are hopping. Planning for longer stays later in November. Thanks to those that have offered some advice and words of wisdom - praying for a safe and enjoyable hunt.

I've heard of some good bucks being taken this year. Seems they were easier to locate this year than before.

The truck is about packed with everything I own and I'm about ready to head out for my first 3-day stint. Can't believe how much this has consumed me through the week. Looks like I will be on my own this first go around as my boys and buddies all have other commitments this weekend. Will be staying in Hamilton....if anyone local from down in the Bitterroot wants to meet some evening for a beer and to trade hunting stories, just shoot me a PM. Would be fun to meet some forum members. I will be there through Sunday at least and longer if things are hopping. Planning for longer stays later in November. Thanks to those that have offered some advice and words of wisdom - praying for a safe and enjoyable hunt.
This is going to be great. I cant wait to hear reports!:)

Well, Day 1 is a wrap. Had a fun day for sure but didn't find the right buck. Action was good this morning with lots of deer out and about - temps were in the teens. I saw several small groups of does that all had at least one buck with them. The bucks were definitely following and smelling but certainly not chasing or really getting after it. I also saw groups of as many as 10 does that had no buck in site. I'd have to say that things are just getting started as far as the rut goes. I was a little surprised to see as many elk as I did but of course don't have a permit. That's probably a good thing - need to focus on deer. Ha. Met a couple locals on the mountain...they were...um....entertaining I guess is a good way to put it. Quite a few people out and about for a Friday - I'm sure there will be more tomorrow. Total count was 15 bucks on public and 5 more on private. Roughly 50 does and 25 elk on public. One big group of elk on private. Throw in a handful of whitetails as well. I am going to change it up for Day 2 and try a completely different spot. Can't wait to get back out there. With each passing day the rut gets closer and closer. Oh and I saw a buck right at dark on private land rubbing his antlers on a power pole!!! Seen them rub fence posts many times but this might be a first for me. Ha.

Finding does without bucks likely means will be a few more days until heavy rutting that carries into late morning and into afternoon. I was in WY last year this week and every day got significantly better from 6th on. Things change of course year to year even in the same place and you are in a different place than I was. I saw new bucks daily from 6th on. New bucks and bigger bucks migrated to where the does were around the fields and river.

Day 2 report. Another enjoyable day in the mountains. I went to a different spot in the morning than where I had been yesterday. I found a lot of deer but very little rutting behavior and no mature bucks. 30 does and 8 bucks in the morning along with some really cool bighorn sheep rutting behavior. Looking forward to hitting that spot again once the rut kicks in. In the afternoon I wandered back over to yesterdays spot and was greeted with a lot of deer activity and a little more hint that the rut is beginning. Bucks were posturing and establishing pecking order and some were actively trailing does. Saw another 15 bucks and 36 does. I saw my first mature buck who was locked on to a doe. Not a high scoring deer but cool to see an old guy. Tons of 2 and 3 year old bucks and maybe a 4 year old or two. 23 bucks total if I did my math correct. I have not spent any time looking at deer on private land or in the urban areas - can't hunt there so want to spend all my time where I can hunt. The weekend brought hunters out of the woodwork. I have yet to meet another hunter with this tag - most everyone is chasing elk. Planning to hunt tomorrow morning then heading home. Return next weekend and hopefully the rut will be getting going a little better. I will try to attach a couple photos from today.

Attachments

• deer1.jpg
    deer1.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 216
  • deer3.jpg
    deer3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 220
Day 3 started out with a heart stopping moment on Hwy 93 when a group of elk decided to cross in front of me in the pre-dawn darkness! Holy wow - not sure how I avoided disaster there! The rest of my morning was much less exciting with only a few groups of deer encountered during a long drive. Was happy to meet 2 other tag holders on the mountain who have been seeing the same things as me. Perhaps the coolest thing I saw this morning was a tree that had been hit by lightening this summer - the power of lightening is awesome....hard to believe humans ever survive being hit. On my way to another spot, I stopped to glass some deer on private land. No big bucks but did watch a couple 4x4's sparring a little. Nothing serious just tickling antlers. At the new spot, I immediately spotted some deer from the truck and decided to get a better look when they moved out of view. Ended up being a beautiful buck in the group but just not quite what I am looking for. Enjoyed watching them for about 45 minutes at 150 yards. He had a beautiful left antler but the right only had a small crab claw on the front. Dark, tall and around 25 inches wide. He was following does and doing some lip curls. He had no problem with a couple smaller bucks being with the does....another indication the rut is still in front of us. Totals for the day: 13 bucks and 55 does/fawns. Overall a great start to my hunt. Will be back for at least another three days next weekend to get after it again.

I'm looking for some opinions from you seasoned mule deer guys and gals as I have little experience judging mature bucks. Take a look at the attached picture and let me know your general thoughts on this guy. He had three awesome forks and one poor front fork. Help me out on class of buck....is this a 160 class? 170? Higher or lower? I know grainy pictures are hard to judge things but this is the best I got. I would appreciate any thoughts as I try to get myself calibrated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 00147_Moment3.jpg
    00147_Moment3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 273
That could be monster 270 buck is you get the same photographer as the Governor's tag holder a few year back.
I agree with greenhorn. Going to be take some fancy tape work to get him past 160.

I agree with antlerradar and greenhorn, mid 150's and maybe 160. Good backs, but short main beams and can't tell much about the front forks. Keep us posted.

I got in a short hunt tonight - hiked into a nice basin that was crawling with deer. Ended up seeing 10 bucks and right around 30 does in the last 2 hours of daylight. One buck caught my attention but didn't get a good look due to darkness setting in. Bucks were definitely interested in does and were pushing them around. You could clearly see who the dominant bucks were even if their racks weren't considerably different. I'm curious what people think about going back into areas like this. Clearly there are plenty of bucks and does.....the question is will new bucks show up through the night or do bucks tend to stay in one particular drainage. Am I wasting my time going back in there tomorrow? Will I just be looking at the same deer that weren't shooters today and still won't be tomorrow? I just don't know enough about mulies and their travel patterns at the start of the rut. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back