Montana mountain goat

freu1chr

Is it worth it for a non resident to apply for mountain goat. I know the odds are low but im 26 and could maybe draw in my lifetime or is that wishful thinking. I don’t have goat points in any other state so this would be my first state with goat points.

Only you can determine if it's worth it or not.

Do you have the money? Do you understand that the odds of you drawing are slim even if you stay after it a long time?

If you can answer yes to both of those then sure, probably worth it.

NR with 20points has at best 6% odds at a tag, odds won’t improve likely someone starting today will have < 3% odds at 20.

Is a 3% chance worth it to you.

I think it depends on what you want out of a goat tag. If you want a picture with a dead goat save for a guided hunt. If you want to hunt goats, on your own, then the tag is quite valuable Imo. Only you can decide. If we all based our actions on draw odds, the draw odds would be a lot better, because half of us would skip it.

My son drew a resident goat tag a couple of years ago with 2 p points. I don't know what his odds were but they were well under 2%.

If I was considering an outfitted hunt I would borrow the money and do it now, rather than save for years as the price goes up every year, and life gets in the way more every year.

Tactically there's good advice above. There's also a few members here who have drawn NR Mountain Goat tags in MT on this forum

The Hunting Gods are real and every once in a while they shine on those pursuing the highly improbable. Ignore them at your peril, and they will simply grace someone else with their offerings.

Last edited:
As a resident I've been applying for a Montana goat tag every year since 1978. That's 42 years of unsuccessful applications! This year I'll have 18 bonus points, when squared means my name will be in the hat 324 times. But every year someone draws a tag on their first try.

It's basically a shot in the dark, but you'll never draw if you don't apply.

I'd put in for it if I was you. Odds are low for everyone, even residents, but there is always a chance. Plus if you keep applying then your odds do get better over time in Montana, significantly better. You could pay for an outfitted goat hunt elsewhere, but apart from the cost, do you really want someone else to take you to a goat, or do you want to find the goat?

The irony of the situation is that so many residents and nonresidents apply for this tag in the lower 48. Yes, it can happen if one is extremely lucky. But, to rely on luck is a fools game. Save your $$$$ and book an Alaskan boat hunt for mountain goats. I really do not like to urge this but I am realist when it comes to hard to draw tags in the lower 48.

The irony of the situation is that so many residents and nonresidents apply for this tag in the lower 48. Yes, it can happen if one is extremely lucky. But, to rely on luck is a fools game. Save your $$$$ and book an Alaskan boat hunt for mountain goats. I really do not like to urge this but I am realist when it comes to hard to draw tags in the lower 48.
The classic gambler’s fallacy applies to those tags. “I have to win at some point”.

True story.

I apply for goats in only WY and MT...my next tag (already drew Montana) will be my last goat tag and I'll drop the remaining state if I draw.

If I don't draw in the next 7-8 years, I'll probably just quit applying for goats at that point. I want it to be fun and I don't know if it would be past age 60.

Buzz, I drew my mountain goat tag at age 64. The Cabinet mountains kicked my old butt. I was able to take a good Billy on the third day of my hunt. I drew the tag as a resident in 7 yrs. I have applied for BH sheep for 17 yrs. Nothing thus far. But at age 74 I continue to dream. I put in for but one zone only that I know the country well. Although, I am a realist about drawing this tag.
For those who have no bonus points and nonresidents who dream of hunting sheep, goats and moose I say continue to dream. But be realistic about your chances to draw a tag in the lower 48. In MT there are BH unlimited zones. But chances to harvest are slim due to so many hunters going for the BH sheep. Yet, if a person could spend considerable time scouting these zones perhaps success is attainable. Being realistic also means considering booking a hunt to satisfy ones desire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back