Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana legislature...wake up.

BuzzH

I just received an interesting email from a Senator Wittich...seems someone here is being "blamed" for pointing out the obtuse thinking of the MT legislature.

Me, being me...decided I'd reply with some "straight talk" that was the subject line of the email in question.

My reply:

Senator Wittich,

Thank you for the letter, but I still have some major questions that need to be addressed to further understand your positions on SB 273 and also on SB 301. I should let it be known that I am a 3rd generation native Montanan, but have since moved to Laramie Wyoming. In the last 10 years I have supported the MTFWP financially through license purchases totalling nearly $10,000.

I will start with SB 273, I do not believe that ANY funding for brucellosis should be coming from Sportsmans dollars to test cattle...or elk. I've done exhaustive research regarding brucellosis and elk, there is not ONE documented case of an elk transmitting brucellosis to cattle that I am aware of. I would highly recommend a simple google search, which will result in countless pages of information and "straight talk" regarding brucellosis and transmittion between elk and cattle. Further, the publics wild ungulate populations were infected from cattle...not the other way around. I'm of the opinion that any testing being done to the publics wildlife should be paid for by cattle producers. Their cattle infected my wildlife and frankly if my neighbor to the south throws a rock through my window, I dont ask my neighbor to the north to pay for it. I see no justifiable reason for my license dollars to pay for a test that will do nothing to benefit the wildlife I pay for.

Next is SB 301. This legislation is no doubt an attack on public access via stripping the MTFWP of its commitment to support and enhance MT's wildlife, in particular its ability to purchase lands (habitat). You make the claim in your reply that there is a 2 year sunset clause in this bill. I ask you what happens when a critical piece of habitat becomes available over the next 2 years and the MTFWP, as well as the Sportsmen of the State, miss an opportunity to purchase those tracts? Our public wildlife can not afford to wait 2 years while critical habitat slips through our collective hands. Further, I feel you are not in touch with the access problems facing Montana outdoorsmen. Every year hunter numbers and participation in hunting is on the decline, and the primary reason given is lack of access, to both public and private lands. With the ever shrinking wildlife habitat throughout the United States, including Montana, it is not prudent to support legislation that would not allow the MTFWP to purchase lands. Again, Sportsmen fund the FWP through license sales and I dont know a single sportsmen in the state of Montana that would not like to see their license dollars purchase habitat.

In closing, I find the attack that the Montana Legislature has imposed on the MTFWP and the Resident, as well as Non-Resident Sportsmen of the State, to be reprehensible. It troubles me as a former Resident and also as a Non-Resident hunter, to believe that a delegation of Representatives from Montana are showing such a disregard for its hunting and fishing constituency. I wish you and your counter-parts good luck in future elections.

Sincerely,

Rumor has it that the email floating around the Montana hunter world is focused at yours truly - Mr. Fin. You are the second person who has made mention of such this evening.

Funny part is that for being so pissed at me, I have yet to receive a copy, and I have two good working email addresses.

Are you referring to the same email?

Time to throw them under the bus at election time...I'm sick of their shit, plumb tired of it. If I wouldnt have been in AZ this morning I would have been in Helena.

Randy,

Its funny you werent on the Wittich email...it was addressed to you and you were asked to cc all your information to him and Balyeat next time.

Funny stuff, I tell you.

Hopefully I will get a copy of the email, since it was addressed to me. But, then again, maybe not.

I suspect it has something to do with me pointing out the facts of some bill, that somehow is now considered non-factual. I always provide a link to the bill, and sometimes cut and paste a copy of pertinent sections.

Guess I will wait for a copy and respond accordingly.

Oh man, you guys are GOOD!! You actually get replys, get under their skin, get them squirming a little. NICE!!

I haven't had such an effect, sooooo, I have taken it upon myself to get as many sportsmen as I know pissed off about this, named names, etc. And I won't forget, nor will I allow any of them to forget about this crap any time soon.

Funny stuff, I tell you.

Hopefully I will get a copy of the email, since it was addressed to me. But, then again, maybe not.

I suspect it has something to do with me pointing out the facts of some bill, that somehow is now considered non-factual. I always provide a link to the bill, and sometimes cut and paste a copy of pertinent sections.

Guess I will wait for a copy and respond accordingly.

I asked Billings Legislator Cary Smith why HB 159 repeals the standing statute which does not allow rifles to be used hunting upland birds. I read his bill to him verbatim....he said his bill didn't didn't do exactly what the wording said it does. Sound familiar? These guys are amazing. Don't confuse the issue (s) with the facts....

Onpoint...last I cecked Cary Smith was trying to protect your hunting rights. I think you got your wires crossed somewhere, but if your on a witch hunt then that is easy to do.

While Smith's HB 159 protects me from those who might tell me what gunI can/can't use, it also allows the possibility that I could get shot by a 60 grain .22-250 ballistic tip while bird hunting. Read the last line of the bill. Inform me if I'm wrong. If Mr. Smith wants to protect hunters rights, he also might brush up on hunte safety 101. Or maybe even actually write his own bills??

Thanks to everyone on Hunt Talk for making me aware of what's going on in this year's session. I've always made it a point to not get involved in politics, but that has changed this year. I've done my fair share of emailing this winter, which at the very least has made me feel a little better about myself even if nothing comes from it. However, I think I'm making a small impact given the few responses I've received from some of these idiots. It's also nice to hear back from some of the legislators who still seem to be thinking clearly.

Good stuff Buzz. I'd be curious to hear his reply. I found out my local rep voted yes on that bill as well as SB303 (no net gain in State Ownership). I've been hounding him with emails but haven't heard a reply. Thinking about writing a letter to the editor of the local paper. Only problem is it's a good old boy town and he's definitely high up in the good old boy network.

I just read the house voted 66-31 in favor of SB303. Hopefully the gov. uses his veto brand.

Onpoint...last I cecked Cary Smith was trying to protect your hunting rights. I think you got your wires crossed somewhere, but if your on a witch hunt then that is easy to do.

Seems some said the same about Hinkle and him battling for sportsmen. After listening to him and the spear bill in the House F&G Committee I know don't want to be on the same side as him.

Seems some said the same about Hinkle and him battling for sportsmen. After listening to him and the spear bill in the House F&G Committee I know don't want to be on the same side as him.

different ideas abound when it comes to "battling for sportsmen". This legislative session seems to be changing some folks minds about that definition.

Thanks to everyone on Hunt Talk for making me aware of what's going on in this year's session. I've always made it a point to not get involved in politics, but that has changed this year. I've done my fair share of emailing this winter, which at the very least has made me feel a little better about myself even if nothing comes from it. However, I think I'm making a small impact given the few responses I've received from some of these idiots. It's also nice to hear back from some of the legislators who still seem to be thinking clearly.

I agree. This site has definitely made me more aware of what is going on. I started speaking up back in 2008 when all the Mitchell Slough stuff was going hot and heavy. I've definitely became more and more active. I don't hear back too much from the legislatures that I don't agree with, but I do from the guys/gals on my side. I think it really helps to mention where you are from and election/vote support as well. (I got that tip on here from someone a while back.)

I think Shoots mentioned on another thread about hearing a rumble starting to develop amongst sportsmen. I think he is right.

Actually, HB 159 eliminates the voice of the hunter in setting regulations related to firearms. I understand where Rep. Cary is coming from, and his desire to protect hunters, but this bill is still a bad bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back