Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana kids in court

And I don't doubt many in the MT legislature will continue to do all they can to extract every dollar out of the land that they can to the detriment of the world, but this ruling does actually make that more difficult. It could set a precedent (after the MT Supreme Court has their say, and maybe SCOTUS) and show that the court will strike down legislation that goes too far. No doubt some legislators will keep attacking MEPA and any other law that gets in their way, but they won't make the same mistake twice.

FTR - the courts have been overturning a ton of bad laws from this legislature. We're just noticing it now since the veto backstop is gone.

I'm curious as to whether or not this case would have been a win if the Legislature hadn't passed both SB 557 & HB 691. The suit was amended to take those two on. I haven't had time to read Judge Seeley's decision, so apologies if this is a question that's already in there.

FTR - the courts have been overturning a ton of bad laws from this legislature. We're just noticing it now since the veto backstop is gone.

I'm curious as to whether or not this case would have been a win if the Legislature hadn't passed both SB 557 & HB 691. The suit was amended to take those two on. I haven't had time to read Judge Seeley's decision, so apologies if this is a question that's already in there.
That is a great question. I can't say I've read the whole thing word for word yet. I'm a law nerd, but I also have to do my day job at some point too when I'm not checking in on HT and doing all my volunteer stuff... 😝

This is a good deal in my opinion. The kids grew and learned important life lessons.
Someday these issues will get the importance they deserve to bring change.
Yesterday it was 100 degrees on the ocean on the Washington coast, today the same. This is new and it is not normal.

So with that in mind, I think some of the agency of these kids is being denied when we talk about them as "being used." They are passionate advocates for their future. They made their choices, no doubt with guidance from their parents, but when they took the stand they spoke for themselves. The fact that they are young doesn't mean their voices shouldn't be heard or that they are being used by anyone. And I'd assume all of us were once teenagers; how many teens really do what their parents want them to do?

Teenagers aside, there are children as young as 5 listed as plaintiffs. I am a father of 3, and yeah, I think "being used" absolutely fits.

To each their own, but I would never.

Teenagers aside, there are children as young as 5 listed as plaintiffs. I am a father of 3, and yeah, I think "being used" absolutely fits.

You've probably made up your mind that the young ones were not siblings of older plaintiffs. Your "being used" argument is pretty narrow ... and profoundly discounts the oft expressed wisdom of innocence relative to serious issues such as this.

When my daughter was five she - entirely without influence from either of her parents - wanted to start a politics podcast for kids and wanted to be a Supreme Court justice when she grew up. So I reject the notion that just because some of the kids are young means they're being used and aren't actually invested in the case.

When my daughter was five she - entirely without influence from either of her parents - wanted to start a politics podcast for kids and wanted to be a Supreme Court justice when she grew up. So I reject the notion that just because some of the kids are young means they're being used and aren't actually invested in the case.
You’re being silly.

Back