MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana hunting, seeking nonresidents thoughts and opinions

Mtnhunter1

Question for all you HT folks that have hunted or are planning to hunt; elk, elk & deer or deer only in Montana.
Since this forum is geared to the On-Your-Own-Adventures, public land hunters, I’m interested in the nonresident Hunt Talkers view of past Montana hunts or perceptions of a planned upcoming Montana adventure.

MTFWP 2018 stats for the nonresident drawing revealed that there were a bunch of successful nonresident hunters that drew tags last year.

Nonresident (Big Game Combo) successful = 13,685

Nonresident (Elk Combo) successful = 3,345

Nonresident (Deer Combo) successful = 8,976

I am a Montana resident hunter that would like to hear your nonresident’s thoughts as a traveling hunter, from the outside looking in,,,, so to speak…

Thank You for your response,

Mtnhunter1

PS: I posted this in the ELK forum because it is the most viewed but would like to hear from all the deer hunters as well.
N

I have hunted Montana twice, once in 2016 and once in 2018. Both times for mule deer only and both times successful with respectable animals. Both hunts were early in the rifle season and done completely DIY. I even travelled out there a couple of months before my first hunt to scout for 3 days. That scouting trip was probably the most valuable thing I did as it saved tons of time during the actual hunt since finding suitable access points was a bit trickier than I had imagined. By the time my scouting trip was done, I was very confident for the upcoming season, having multiple spots pre-marked on GPS.
Overall, both hunting trips were absolutely amazing, and frankly, the best hunting trips of my life. The scenery, the vastness, unparalleled beauty, the incredible amount of available public land, the rustic small towns and friendly locals, are just some of the factors that made the hunt so fantastic for me. I love Montana and can't wait to go back. 2019 will be my first Elk hunt ever and I can't wait to simply go and learn the ropes. Given that the elk hunt will be in a different area from where I have mule deer hunted before, I will again make a scouting run in late summer or early fall to acclimate myself with the new area. Whether the outcome is successful or not, I am certain it will be an amazing experience.
By the way, I hunt hard and deep and never had much issues getting away from pressure. Maybe I was just lucky, but in both hunts, I can count all the other hunters I ran into, while actually hunting, on one hand. What a difference from what I am used to back home, deer hunting in NJ lol.

Last edited:
My thoughts and opinions are that I love elk hunting in MT! I've been going since '14, started out with killing a P&Y bull of the first full day and have been hooked every since! The cost of the NR tag is a little steep, but no one is making me pull out the credit card! The trailhead, where we park, has a few folks, trucks, and camp sites, but I rarely run into anyone while hunting. I pack in and camp a few miles from the truck, so that's one reason of not seeing many hunter's.
In all, I spend 2 weeks during Sept in MT, and love it. Never had any issues with drawing a general tag, which may eventually become more difficult.

I visited Montana in 1993 while studying in Oregon and loved the place. I'm now finally getting around to a long awaited return trip. Hoping to draw deer combo and have an adventure looking for bucks in new country. The attraction for me, in MT and the west in general, are the mountains, wide open spaces, interesting people and animals we don't have in New Zealand. Can't wait.

Last edited:
I have hunted Montana twice, once in 2016 and once in 2018. Both times for mule deer only and both times successful with respectable animals. Both hunts were early in the rifle season and done completely DIY. I even travelled out there a couple of months before my first hunt to scout for 3 days. That scouting trip was probably the most valuable thing I did as it saved tons of time during the actual hunt since finding suitable access points was a bit trickier than I had imagined. By the time my scouting trip was done, I was very confident for the upcoming season, having multiple spots pre-marked on GPS.
Overall, both hunting trips were absolutely amazing, and frankly, the best hunting trips of my life. The scenery, the vastness, unparalleled beauty, the incredible amount of available public land, the rustic small towns and friendly locals, are just some of the factors that made the hunt so fantastic for me. I love Montana and can't wait to go back. 2019 will be my first Elk hunt ever and I can't wait to simply go and learn the ropes. Given that the elk hunt will be in a different area from where I have mule deer hunted before, I will again make a scouting run in late summer or early fall to acclimate myself with the new area. Whether the outcome is successful or not, I am certain it will be an amazing experience.
By the way, I hunt hard and deep and never had much issues getting away from pressure. Maybe I was just lucky, but in both hunts, I can count all the other hunters I ran into, while actually hunting, on one hand. What a difference from what I am used to back home, deer hunting in NJ lol.

Stealthy_bowman I am hoping to draw a combo tag this year, coming from south eastern PA. I was considering a short scouting trip out there. Did you fly in to scout?

I hunted Montana for elk during archery season in 2016. My brother lives in Missoula so I didn't have much scouting to do. We hiked in about 6 hours after we drove about 30 minutes or so until dirt road ended. We were in elk about 5 of the 6 days. Ultimately called for my brother and he shoot a cow. I think the landscape was unbelievably beautiful and special. Sunsets and sunrises are remarkable. We did have a "casual" griz encounter. I have developed a fear/deep respect because of it but it doesn't deter me from going back. The area we hunted and camp was burned in all the fires of 2017 which was a big reason for going to colorado that year and last year. Figuring out areas can be tough, licensing is straightforward once you figure it out but was a lot to understand starting out cold. I did this before I knew anything about Randy's content. Along with Cory J., the content available is remarkable. That obviously makes it easier. My research was all on the Montana fwp site. I feel like expectations should be set low and probably takes several years to get to know some areas to hunt. Or I am just not great at escouting. It would have been fun if I could have gone back with my brother if those fires hadn't come through. Maybe someday I go back or I need to start scouting on my own and just go. Just started elk hunting in my mid-late 30's so lot of catching up but hopefully still many years to keep trying.

Stealthy_bowman I am hoping to draw a combo tag this year, coming from south eastern PA. I was considering a short scouting trip out there. Did you fly in to scout?

I flew out for the scouting trip, but drove for the hunting trips.

I bow hunted for elk in MT in 2018. In 7 days of hunting hard I blew one chance at a bull and drew my bow on a cow but she stopped behind a tree. I’m not sure if I’ll hunt MT again as a nonresident. The price of an elk tag is a little steep for a guy with a young family. I’d like to deer hunt in MT but I’m not willing to pay that much money for a deer tag.

There is a decent amount of public land to hunt in MT but all the checkerboarded land is frustrating when you’re not permitted to corner cross.

I bow hunted for elk in MT in 2018. In 7 days of hunting hard I blew one chance at a bull and drew my bow on a cow but she stopped behind a tree. I’m not sure if I’ll hunt MT again as a nonresident. The price of an elk tag is a little steep for a guy with a young family. I’d like to deer hunt in MT but I’m not willing to pay that much money for a deer tag.

There is a decent amount of public land to hunt in MT but all the checkerboarded land is frustrating when you’re not permitted to corner cross.

Not many other states let you hunt Elk and Deer for $1100.

I have hunted Mt. a few times with the general deer combo. I don't have the time to hunt elk so I have not purchased the big game combo tag. The hunts have been fun and I have harvested a few mule deer bucks on public and block management land. The cost of the tag is high for the deer combo, but at least there is a fair amount of publicly accessible land to hunt. The proximity to MN makes it a 10 hr drive for me, so I can get there in one day of driving which is nice.

The downside of being a NR is not knowing how the animals are wintering during a winter like this year. The area I usually hunt in NE Montana looks like it is going have temperatures that have dropped below 0F for 26 of the 28 days in Feb, and several nights colder than -20. Not sure how much winter kill they will experience due to the cold.

All in all- I think Mt. is a decent place to hunt for deer as a non-resident if you can afford the tag.

Not many other states let you hunt Elk and Deer for $1100.
That might be true but very few people have the time to do two out of state hunts in one fall. In my opinion it’s just a way of charging more for an elk tag. I realize plenty of people are willing to pay the money. I’m just not sure that I am. I’m currently struggling with nonresident hunting prices and how much money I can justify spending.

I am not sure about those numbers, never have put any stock in the numbers posted on their website. The reason I say this, I have been hunting MT for 15 years and not once have I been surveyed about our hunt. And that is not just me, NO one in my party.

We do enjoy hunting in MT. Yes, the cost of a combo tag is a little high, but being able to hunt deer/elk at the same time is definitely a plus when I do one western hunt a year. We will hunt about 7-10 days and devote most of that time to elk. Each person in our party is usually successful on a least a deer or elk, occasionally both.

Love the opportunity to access public land and hunt deer and elk in MT. Lots of game and lots of access keeps us coming back. I do believe trophy quality could be improved by managing on a unit specific basis and shortening the season. But that will greatly impact opportunity also. Double edged sword

From a person who has elk hunting in 6 states. MT is not the greatest by far, as numbers are concerned. If I didn't have friends there to visit while hunting I would not spend money there compared to other states. NM, AZ, CO, UT, WY, are far better options IMO and I have killed elk in all those states but never punched a tag in MT. I have seen some big bulls in MT while archery hunting but rifle has been pretty hit and miss. I would not recommend MT as a first choice for a new elk hunter in general units compared to other states. That's my opinion, take it for what it is. And MT has gone downhill for elk in the 15+ years i have hunted it for elk. Deer has gone up and down depending on winters, fires, and stupid amounts of doe tags but because MT is a closer drive than most other western states and I have friends there I will keep going.

Last edited:
With the current state of elk hunting here in Montana, I'd probably look elsewhere. Hurts to say that, because I live here. mtmuley

From a person who has elk hunting in 6 states. MT is not the greatest by far, as numbers are concerned. If I didn't have friends there to visit while hunting I would not spend money there compared to other states. NM, AZ, CO, UT, WY, are far better options IMO and I have killed elk in all those states but never punched a tag in MT. I have seen some big bulls in MT while archery hunting but rifle has been pretty hit and miss. I would not recommend MT as a first choice for a new elk hunter in general units compared to other states. That's my opinion, take it for what it is. And MT has gone downhill for elk in the 15+ years i have hunted it for elk. Deer has gone up and down depending on winters, fires, and stupid amounts of doe tags but because MT is a closer drive than most other western states and I have friends there I will keep going.

I agree I've been going since 1999 and I've hunted 4 states today sadly Montana is at the bottom of those 4 on quality of the hunt unless you draw a special permit.

I’ve been coming to Montana since the late 90s when I was in high school. There’s definitely been ups and downs but I still say Montana is a great place to come . I just submitted my big game combo app as well as elk permit and pref and bonus points and it was $1,174 . Tad high but it’s 11 weeks that you can hunt and basically statewide . Overall it’s good value . Hopefully Fwp will start to manage the game a little better and maybe in future there’ll be more mature animals

I shot my first buck in MT when I got to go on a trip with my dad. Was 16 and it seemed like heaven after hunting for 4 years in PA and never firing a shot at one. The different terrain and seeing the numbers of deer created a lot of memories. I do intend to get there someday but the current situation isn't motivating me much as far as elk goes.

We've had good luck in Idaho for a better cost. Have gone to CO a couple times for elk too. Reading through all the comments about the shoulder seasons doesn't motivate me to move MT up the list. Some day down the road when I have a chance at drawing a limited tag and can make two trips in a year I'll try for the combo license and head there. Also have a friend who has been to NW MT 15+ years now (often x2 a year - early for elk, late for deer). They still have some luck but the quality of their elk hunts is way down though they say the late deer hunting is better than it used to be for whitetail.

But the rest of the stuff that you get with the license just doesn't matter to me. I never have time enough on a trip to do anything other than hunt what I'm targeting. I realize the license gets you access to this giant amount of hunting time but I'm likely only there for 7-10 days anyway.

I'm 32 and started elk hunting when I was 24. I have had a Montana general tag all 7 years I have elk hunted and have been fortunate to fill 5 of them all public land DIY. Three bulls with archery, one with a rifle, and one cow with a rifle. I have blown a ton of opportunities along the way and easily should have filled all seven years on bulls with my bow. The only reason I did not is because of poor execution on a few chip shots and extremely bad luck. IMO, the general elk tag is a great tag if you are willing to work your ass off. The ability to hunt 6 weeks archery which will get you through the entire elk rut and then be able to go back with a rifle for 5 weeks for 1K is a freakin deal. It's tough country and you have to hunt hard but the opportunities are there for those willing.

As for deer, the Montana general deer tag is the most over rated and over priced western big game tag available today. I have thrown my past three $700 deer tags in the garbage...and I hunt quite a bit so it's not from "not being able to get out enough". The country is beautiful and the adventure can be fun but the quality of the animals and the hunt on public land is garbage. There are a PILE of other western hunts for deer, cow elk, or antelope available for 1/2 of what MT charges. My .02

Last edited:
I'm 32 and started elk hunting when I was 24. I have had a Montana general tag all 7 years I have elk hunted and have been fortunate to fill 5 of them all public land DIY. Three bulls with archery, one with a rifle, and one cow with a rifle. I have blown a ton of opportunities along the way and easily should have filled all seven years on bulls with my bow. The only reason I did not is because of poor execution on a few chip shots and extremely bad luck. IMO, the general elk tag is a great tag if you are willing to work your ass off. The ability to hunt 6 weeks archery which will get you through the entire elk rut and then be able to go back with a rifle for 5 weeks for 1K is a freakin deal. It's tough country and you have to hunt hard but the opportunities are there for those willing.

As for deer, the Montana general deer tag is the most over rated and over priced western big game tag available today. I have thrown my past three $700 deer tags in the garbage...and I hunt quite a bit so it's not from "not being able to get out enough". The country is beautiful and the adventure can be fun but the quality of the animals and the hunt on public land is garbage. There are a PILE of other western hunts for deer, cow elk, or antelope available for 1/2 of what MT charges. My .02

Disagree with you on the deer part - if you put as much time into them as elk I’ll bet you could find a good one .

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back