Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana General season

jae7675

Well here we go again, back in the planning stages of a hunt. We spent 2 weeks in Montana in September archery hunting but got our butts kicked. We put 11 days in the field and put over 80 miles on our feet. Unfortunately the only elk we saw were herded up on private ground. Now we need to decide if we are going to go back for rifle and if so, where. From all of the reading and research I have done it certainly doesn't look promising. We have never rifle hunted Montana before but it sounds like a zoo. I keep telling myself that it cant be worse than the Wyoming 0 to 1 pt antelope unit my daughter and I hunted last year but I may be wrong. I was able to get us on goats though and we both shot decent bucks. My question is did any of you find yourself questioning whether or not to take the trip like I am. If so, did you go and was it worth it? Thanks all and be safe out there.

I always feel like I have an advantage if I archery hunted before rifle. Just because I know where the elk were and they don’t usually move much where I hunt. You said bunched up on private so that pretty much eliminates the location advantage. Except if that private land gets pressured during rifle you could be set up excellent for the first few days as elk get pushed into public. You should know exactly where to set up. Other than than just go if you feel like it 😂

If you hunted 11 days and only saw one herd of elk, you obviously need to find a different spot.

I’d a lot rather go hunt for another week and come away empty than stay home, but that’s me.
Oh I agree 100 percent on that. As for the area, it usually holds a high number of elk. This hot dry summer had them messed up for sure.

If you hunt opening week, yeah it will be a zoo. I have to put up with that shit again this year because that's when my brother's party will be hunting and my tag requires that I hunt with him. Why don't you wait till the third week? Should be tracking snow by then and a lot fewer hunters in the field. The elk rut should be done by opening week of rifle season anyway.

I wish CO gave you the option to hunt multiple seasons with multiple weapons with one tag...

Yep it's going to be an absolute zoo. I'd probably just stay home and not take a hunting trip. The best stories always start with "So I grabbed a beer and headed for the couch "

I have made the return trip many times. The main difference for me was that I had at least some elk excitement most days while archery hunting . Was successful on the second trip about half the time. Saw a lot fewer elk rifle hunting , but if I saw a bull the odds of getting him were much higher. Usually don't rifle hunt until later in the season. I am lucky in that I have friends to stay with that live close to where I hunt.

I’m in the same boat. I hunted 10 days in western Montana. We got close to elk almost every day in 2 different locations but never punched a tag. My wife green lit me to go back out and try with a rifle. I’ve never hunted elk with a rifle before. I’m nervous about what I might find or what I might not. One unit I hunted was almost all public, heavily timbered and I’m guessing would not be very productive to glass. The other had some open ground but has some private ranches that I fear may be elk safe havens. My only time to hunt is gonna be the last week of season which makes me think to go for broke and go to the heavily timbered spot in hopes to get lucky? I’m guessing after a long season, most of those elk on the other spot will be where they can’t be accessed? What’s your thoughts?

In all honesty I wouldn’t waste the time to hunt the general rifle season unless you have another 10-12 days, or a local resident. it is way tougher rifle hunting than bow hunting from my experience. It is a nice time to take your rifle for a hike.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back