Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana General Season Structure Proposal

Another thing I didn’t see mentioned in the comments yet, I think the youth still deserve an opportunity at both, all season for as long as we are able to sustainably provide that.

I'm am all in for some change. Cause the path we're on is headed for total disaster status rather than anything positive. I really like the collective responses from a variety of people from across the state living and operating in all different fashions. It was great to meet @Gerald Martin and @randy11 along with running into @Schaaf earlier this year and having a brief conversation about these topics. I could listen to guys like @antlerradar for days about these types of things. Great work guys hopefully it gains some positive long term effects on the resources we have.

Last edited:
I think having the mule deer seasons on general vs Le on two different time frames should be aligned.

I also worry about the archery season being moved to August 25th. Yes antelope is open at that time. But 40 pounds is much more manageable than an elk size critter. I understand September can be warm but August is even warmer.

Was there any conversation on how to totally eliminate the shoulder season with this draft?

Another thing I didn’t see mentioned in the comments yet, I think the youth still deserve an opportunity at both, all season for as long as we are able to sustainably provide that.

Youth hunt stays as-is. No changes. Still tied to the MEA in-service days.

Youth hunt stays as-is. No changes. Still tied to the MEA in-service days.
So how will that work? Those are normally in the middle of October? Don’t see the schools changing their MEA or conference days for deer season.

I think having the mule deer seasons on general vs Le on two different time frames should be aligned.

I also worry about the archery season being moved to August 25th. Yes antelope is open at that time. But 40 pounds is much more manageable than an elk size critter. I understand September can be warm but August is even warmer.

Was there any conversation on how to totally eliminate the shoulder season with this draft?
I've shot elk in the mid-90s in September, I don't think a week (plus or minus) is gonna matter as much as the morals of the particular hunter.

For both what? Youth season is only for deer as far as I know....

So how will that work? Those are normally in the middle of October? Don’t see the schools changing their MEA or conference days for deer season.

Youth hunters will enjoy the opportunity to hunt either whitetail or mule deer without being limited to a single region for those two days.

During the rest of general season they will be limited to pick your species/region like the rest of us.

I read through the more detailed proposal. It’ll probably be a heavy lift to convince all stakeholders, but I’m a-ok with it all.

This would certainly eliminate a ton of pressure out east. I don’t really hunt over there, but can’t imagine a lot of folks from the western half of the state would be willing to give up deer opportunity closer to home.

It’s a low odds game, but I’d personally love the chance to chase mule deer in the high country during the first two weeks of October.

I'm am all in for some change. Cause the path we're on is headed for total disaster status rather than anything positive. I really like the collective responses from a variety of people from across the state living and operating in all different fashions. It was great to meet @Gerald Martin artin and @randy11 along with running into @Schaaf earlier this year and having a brief conversation about these topics earlier this year. I could listen to guys like @antlerradar for days about these types of things. Great work guys hopefully it gains some positive long term effects on the resources we have.
Right back at ya, I think the last time we had a beer was years ago at the Cottonwood?

Maybe stretch that archery elk into day October 10th.....

Please.

Not to pick on @EYJONAS! but since he brought it up. ;)

The hunter pressure curve doesn't curve nearly as much if that happens, so the pulse pressure of no hunting of elk on public from Oct 1-31 and only cows on private in the middle of the month would be largely negated.

Part of the idea is to reduce hunter days by spreading the pressure out, then a quick pulse to push animals off of private and onto public after 4 weeks of archery, 2 weeks of rifle mule deer. As hunter days increase, hunter success falls, while problematic concentrations increase on private, leading to lower hunter success rates.

If you draw a limited entry permit, the idea that the hunter pressure is already lower than a general unit would allow for the traditional 6 & 5 week seasons, especially if the antlerless elk harvest is very limited on public (less pressure).

Part of the idea is to reduce hunter days by spreading the pressure out, then a quick pulse to push animals off of private and onto public after 4 weeks of archery, 2 weeks of rifle mule deer.

So I’m curious how you figure those critters will be pushed backon to private? Especially in those areas who aren’t looking to push those critters off their place while a hunting season is going on? Money will still be the driver imo.

Very nice work, thank you to all involved! Is there benefit in people emailing commissioners with pdf in support of the changes? Or other mechanisms we could use to show support for these initiatives? I know 10-15 guys that would support this effort but probably don’t have a clue it’s taking place.

I like having to pick species, but out of curiosity, what was the reasoning for not allowing a guy to hunt mule deer/whitetail in October and also whitetail in November? I see some pushback there for having to pick one or the other, and not sure the whitetail would be that affected

Last edited:
Very nice work, thank you to all involved! Is there benefit in people emailing commissioners with pdf in support of the changes? Or other mechanisms we could use to show support for these initiatives? I know 10-15 guys that would support this effort but probably don’t have a clue it’s taking place.

I think a personal note or email to anyone who is in a position to help implement this proposal can only be a good thing. As Ben says, be courteous and professional.

Not bad, but I don’t really like the idea of eliminating general mule deer hunting in November completely, I’d perhaps either argue for October 15-November 15 general dates or the creation of limited entry permits for general units to allow hunting for some into November.

Most of the group would agree, I think, once we have a robust population we can look into LE permits for the rut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back