Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana General Elk vs Colorado OTC Rifle

Timvz26

Just curious to know what those hunters who have hunted both these states and how they compare. I am very close to Colorado but know how hard the OTC rifle tags get hunted and am considering starting to apply in Montana and making a father drive and putting up with Grizzly Bears. Is it worth it or just as hard of a hunt?

Subscribed.... even as CO resident im looking at WY and MT in next few years simply for adventure/road trips and hunting with friends in those states.

The state in which your closest to and can scout/hunt year after year will bring you the most success. Grizz populations in MT are no joke, they will eat you. Hunt CO

Just curious to know what those hunters who have hunted both these states and how they compare. I am very close to Colorado but know how hard the OTC rifle tags get hunted and am considering starting to apply in Montana and making a father drive and putting up with Grizzly Bears. Is it worth it or just as hard of a hunt?
Your thinking Colorado doesn't have bears?

3rd week of Sept. checking out Rocky Mountain Forest with my first wife & 4yr old daughter. The big paw prints we came accross didn't have claw marks in the snow.
BACK TO THE CAR!!! :oops:

In the 45 years that I've hunted deer, elk, moose, sheep, and goats in Montana, I've encountered only one grizzly bear while hunting. That includes dozens of hunts where I backpacked or horse packed in Wilderness areas.

That said, last year a bow hunter was hunting on a neighbor's ranch less than 1/2 mile from my house, and videod a grizzly walking by his stand. A couple of days later my next door neighbor saw grizzly tracks in the snow on the hill not 300 yards above our houses.

Your thinking Colorado doesn't have bears?

3rd week of Sept. checking out Rocky Mountain Forest with my first wife & 4yr old daughter. The big paw prints we came accross didn't have claw marks in the snow.
BACK TO THE CAR!!! :oops:

Big difference between grizzly and black bears. No griz in Colorado, except a lone bear now and then. They don't last long.

I have been curious about this too- I hunted OTC 2nd Rifle in CO last year, trying my luck with MT General Tag this year.

Hunted both states last year. Colorado was just crazy with the amount of people out there for a 1 week season. Camp after camp and everyone hunting the same area. At least with Montana you have a lot more options and longer season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back