Caribou Gear

Montana General Deer 2019

MNWhitetail

Drawing results just came out for the general deer tags and to my surprise my group and two other groups that I know had applied did not get drawn. We got tags last year on our first time applying and had heard that the general tag was pretty much a lock to draw. Did Montana cut back on tags or you think there may have just been that many more applicants? Could just be bad luck on our part. I was looking forward to that trip out there again. Next year!

I think that is less than 60% chance to draw that with no points. For a couple - three years now.

Drawing results just came out for the general deer tags and to my surprise my group and two other groups that I know had applied did not get drawn. We got tags last year on our first time applying and had heard that the general tag was pretty much a lock to draw. Did Montana cut back on tags or you think there may have just been that many more applicants? Could just be bad luck on our part. I was looking forward to that trip out there again. Next year!
Did you have any points or did you apply with zero ?

2018 drawing stats for non residents:

Big game combo:
0 points 51.25 percent
1 point 100 percent
2 points 100 percent

Deer combo:
0 points 60.11 percent
1 point 100 percent
2 points 100 percent

elk combo:
0 points 53.64 percent
1 point 100 percent
2 points 100 percent

already heard of someone who put in with 1 point for big game combo and didn't draw this year.

Rich

2018 drawing stats for non residents:

Big game combo:
0 points 51.25 percent
1 point 100 percent
2 points 100 percent

Deer combo:
0 points 60.11 percent
1 point 100 percent
2 points 100 percent

elk combo:
0 points 53.64 percent
1 point 100 percent
2 points 100 percent

already heard of someone who put in with 1 point for big game combo and didn't draw this year.

Rich
Where did you find those statistics?

Did you have any points or did you apply with zero ?

We did not apply with any points. We applied for the deer combo as a group of four. Same for the other groups of guys I know that applied, no points. Again, I was still under the impression that it was pretty much a lock still. Live and learn.

I drew a general elk combo with no points. 75% of NR licenses went to point holders and 25% without.

So say 100 total tags.

75 licenses to point holders 25 to non.

High profile people or websites post stats from last year showing that it was 100% with pp and 50-60% without causing everyone to buy a point.

Scenario: 125 applicants
So last year 75 had points all drew and 50 didnt so only 25 drew.

Now this year 100 applied with points only 75 drew but only 25 applied without points so 100% without drew.

Edited for clarity

I drew a general elk combo with no points. 75% of NR licenses went to point holders and 25% without.

So say 100 total tags.

75 licenses to point holders 25 to non.

High profile people or websites post stats from last year showing that it was 100% with pp and 50-60% without causing everyone to buy a point.

Scenario: 125 applicants
So last year 75 had points all drew and 50 didnt so only 25 drew.

Now this year 100 applied with points only 75 drew but only 25 applied without points so 100% without drew.

Edited for clarity
Everyone drew elk combo it was 100%

We did not apply with any points. We applied for the deer combo as a group of four. Same for the other groups of guys I know that applied, no points. Again, I was still under the impression that it was pretty much a lock still. Live and learn.
Apparently a lock if all four guys in each group purchased the point when you applied - is the way I'm reading it anyhow. My bud and I drew this just the two of us as a "party" applicqyion, we each purchased the point when we applied.

Apparently a lock if all four guys in each group purchased the point when you applied - is the way I'm reading it anyhow. My bud and I drew this just the two of us as a "party" applicqyion, we each purchased the point when we applied.
Thing about party apps is if 1 draws you all draw . So pretty good chance of drawing

I have refused to buy the pp since they began such. Drawn every year so far when I applied. Those tags are high enough imo without the added cost of 2-3 year of pp which will be the case soon. If it gets to where I can't draw it oh well. I will continue to not buy those points. Just where I've drawn my line in the sand at this point.

I've drawn the deer tag with 0 points for the past 4 years now. This year with a group of 2. Like brownbear said, I don't know if I can justify the added expense of a PP system on top of the tag price. If you start down the PP system you will also be locked in the next time they raise tag prices, which happens to be fairly frequently. You could end up with $1000+ deer tag over the next few years.

There are a lot of deer in Montana but there aren't exactly a lot of monsters roaming.

Thing about party apps is if 1 draws you all draw . So pretty good chance of drawing

Applying with a party app doesnt increase your chance of drawing at all. Your name is only in the hat 1 time. The party number is all that is put in. Its not like your name is in and your buddies is in too and if one of you get pulled you both do it's just 1 party number. I assume you knew this but I dont know if others do

Applying with a party app doesnt increase your chance of drawing at all. Your name is only in the hat 1 time. The party number is all that is put in. Its not like your name is in and your buddies is in too and if one of you get pulled you both do it's just 1 party number. I assume you knew this but I dont know if others do
Your right. My bad

I confirmed with Montana G&F today. 25% of the tags are allocated to people with 0 points. It is NOT a random pool for everyone. So everyone that has a PP only has a chance at 75% of the total tags available. What a bunch of BS if you ask me!

She told me Big Game combo with 1 point was 76% and 0 points was 50ish%.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back