Caribou Gear

Montana FWP

Roadgoat

I recently talked to a resident sportsman who saw a bull elk on the side of the road with the head cut off. He called MT FWP reporting it as a poached bull. The FWP responded saying they shot the bull because it was too skinny. Sounds like every bull in the state of MT post rut. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Whether it was skinny or not, you don’t support sportsman or enhance the public perception by leaving headless bulls on the side of the county road IMO.

How long had the bull been dead??? Just asking🤷 Carry on😳
What a dumb comment.

I have seen this before, a bighorn sheep got hit on the highway and the head was removed called it in and got about the same comment.

Pretty unfortunate this is is state of MTFWP

I have had my issues with FWP, but something about this story just doesn't sound right. I could see FWP shooting a bull if they thought it had CWD and in that case there would be reason to leave the meat. I highly doubt that FWP would leave the carcass on the side of the road. I would be very suspicious of the "resident sportsman's" story.

I have had my issues with FWP, but something about this story just doesn't sound right. I could see FWP shooting a bull if they thought it had CWD and in that case there would be reason to leave the meat. I highly doubt that FWP would leave the carcass on the side of the road. I would be very suspicious of the "resident sportsman's" story.

This is a 100% true story.

The Bull that FWP claimed responsibility for. 7C1AAF58-D4A1-4E71-AC68-B04F6A0DBFBB.jpeg

I recently talked to a resident sportsman who saw a bull elk on the side of the road with the head cut off. He called MT FWP reporting it as a poached bull. The FWP responded saying they shot the bull because it was too skinny.

There is a big gap between who saw what and what really happened. Conclusions drawn on this report are at best “speculation”

Any number of things could have happened, this is not really much of a story.

There is a big gap between who saw what and what really happened. Conclusions drawn on this report are at best “speculation”

Any number of things could have happened, this is not really much of a story.
It would sure be a hell of a lot better if you were correct. It sounds so stupid that I understand your skepticism. Unfortunately, this did happen exactly as it’s being told.

I'm more than a little confused, but I certainly don't have all the information. I would expect a little more respect from FWP in handling the animal, so this does seem very odd.

What does "too skinny" mean? Also, isn't this the definition of wanton waste, if this was not a possible CWD animal?

Back