Montana FWP Seeking Applicants For Elk Advisory Group

I’d like to see both deer and elk management by each district but I’d settle for now for archery September, General elk and deer rifle October. Private land cow only November.

Can’t speak for the western side of the state but on the eastern side of the state just making changes to the elk hunting isn’t going to change a thing. A group of elk doesn’t know that the pumpkin with a rifle isn’t chasing them but instead the 30” tall muley that’s in the same draw as them on public. They get bumped and still end up on private
I’m with you on the management unit by unit.. Early October (although you didn’t specify imply anything early) gives me a little heartburn for elk..

I would just hate to see folks teeing off the rutting elk with heavy artillery during the final stages of the rut.

We all know the impact general rut hunting has had on mule deer!

I’m with you on the management unit by unit.. Early October (although you didn’t specify imply anything early) gives me a little heartburn for elk..

I would just hate to see folks teeing off the rutting elk with heavy artillery during the final stages of the rut.

We all know the impact general rut hunting has had on mule deer!
Quite a few Wyoming elk units open October 1st. They seem to be doing alright.

I have had out with you on this topic on another thread and don’t wish to derail but Just cause you keep repeating this doesn’t make it true. Actual studies documenting this are hard to come by. I can’t find any. What percentage of the wounded elk actually die with each weapon? So many questions you don’t have the answers to but carry on.
They are not hard to find at all.

More elk fewer tags.
About 60% of Wyoming General tag elk units open on or before October 1 for rifle hunters. Some as early as Sept 10. Most of the other 40% open around Oct 15. Wyo does a significantly better job of managing what is a legal animal in Gen units. Sometimes they will exclude spikes for the first few days. At times they will open it early for cows only. Many times it's any elk for a week or two, then move to cows only for last week or two. Dependent on what the bios are seeing. Feedgrounds sure make it helpful for them to determine herd demographics.

You hit the nail on the head about more elk.

They are not hard to find at all.
Post up the links. Love to have my mind changed by a peer reviewed study and not just a back and forth with some guy/gal on the internet which I don't even know if he/she knows how to hunt.

As someone who hunts with a bow and firearms and am a bit of a precision rifle nut, i can say with certainty that i am multiple times more likely to wound an animal with archery equipment than a rifle. There is no reason for someone who is proficient with a rifle that understands ballistics/equipment and uses reliable equipment to wound an animal except on rare occasions. But I'd bet 99% of hunters wouldn't meet that description to me.

I have never seen a group of archery hunters run down a herd of elk in a jeep and flock shoot with 20 arrows but I've seen em do it with rifles and would say its not uncommon in many parts of MT. Despite the lethality of the weapon, humans throw lead and arrows down range when they have no business doing so. I'd argue that archery hunters are more familiar with their equipment and hit likelihood than most rifle hunters who shoot a box at most from a bench each season.

Post up the links. Love to have my mind changed by a peer reviewed study and not just a back and forth with some guy/gal on the internet which I don't even know if he/she knows how to hunt.
I will not do the leg work for you. The info is out there.

You must not get out much during either season. Plus there are those those pesky studies.
For the second time. Take a look. The info is out there and I will not do thenelg work for you.
And I get out plenty.

For the second time. Take a look. The info is out there and I will not do thenelg work for you.
And I get out plenty.
And they show more wounding lose by rifle hunters then archery hunters.

Just based on how many more gun hunters there are over bow hunters. Lots of guys think the are long range shooters.

I get it you being new to Montana and other states might be different in wounding lose probably why you keep beating this drum.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back