Montana FWP pheasant scam

How did all those "native" pheasants get into Montana in the first place? Was there something different about how they were raised and released back then vs the program now, or are they just the remnants of those failed programs?
I asked this exact question, and I was told that the initial transplants were not farm raised, but were "wild birds". I don't know if that means they were captured in the wild, rode a ship , and were released, or were wild in some other part of NA and released here. I don't know how true that is.

How did all those "native" pheasants get into Montana in the first place? Was there something different about how they were raised and released back then vs the program now, or are they just the remnants of those failed programs?

What are some examples of habitat that could be enhanced with $1M a year that would increase pheasant numbers by by an appreciable amount? Seems like a lot of red tape with low chance of doing anything meaningful.

How many pheasants are released in SD every year? 4-500K? Stocking must sorta work, they are not "native" to SD either.
Spend $1m and actually count the deer or put it into a harvest reporting application. There are so many things the worlds chittiest game management agency could do with that money instead of raise super dumb invasives that need to be launched for sport.

What are some examples of habitat that could be enhanced with $1M a year that would increase pheasant numbers by by an appreciable amount? Seems like a lot of red tape with low chance of doing anything meaningful.

How many pheasants are released in SD every year? 4-500K? Stocking must sorta work, they are not "native" to SD either.
When CRP was a money maker, pheasant numbers were way above what they are now.

As I said, studies have shown 80% of the planted birds don't make it two weeks. How many of the 20% survivors make it to spring to make more pheasants? Not many but by then they are smart enough to survive. If you read the history of pheasant introduction to North America you will see that there were several failed attempts before success.

In South Dakota the pheasant hunting is really big business for outfitting. Some of those "ranches" don't really farm anything but food and habitat for the crop of of pheasants they are selling. Using stupid stocked birds works very well for the style of "hunting" they sell. A bunch of guys fifteen yards apart driving a field to another bunch of guys sitting on their fat butts in a line at the end of the field. Easy shooting sells. I know of a place in Minnesota where you can shoot all the pheasants you want -hundreds even. They're farm raised birds fired out of a couple of towers with catapults. The "hunter" walks through several stations and calls for the birds to be thrown. I imagine a few missed pheasants make it through the end of the week and fewer yet might last till next spring. The guys from my club who tried it said the owner had a pack of GSPs that caught most of the missed birds.

Last edited:
Don’t know the history of Montanas pheasants, but I’m pretty sure the original birds that came to America were wild birds that were caught.

I would suspect it was wild caught birds that were established in Montana too. Either way, habitat conditions were way better for pheasants back then.

I don’t mind stocking birds in good habitat near as much as this nonsense of throwing them on crap land like I’ve seen many times. Wyoming used to stock birds on some really useless places in the afternoon and they’d all be gone by morning. Eaten by predators or not where the public could hunt them by morning oftentimes.

Don’t know the history of Montanas pheasants, but I’m pretty sure the original birds that came to America were wild birds that were caught.

I would suspect it was wild caught birds that were established in Montana too. Either way, habitat conditions were way better for pheasants back then.

I don’t mind stocking birds in good habitat near as much as this nonsense of throwing them on crap land like I’ve seen many times. Wyoming used to stock birds on some really useless places in the afternoon and they’d all be gone by morning. Eaten by predators or not where the public could hunt them by morning oftentimes.
I'm pretty sure the first birds introduced to America were NOT wild. They came from England and no doubt from large estates where they were raised. I really doubt wild birds would survive the stress of sailing across the Atlantic.

You're right. I shouldn’t have said first, what I meant was the ones that actually took. I swear PF had an article about it or something. All I can find is the first successful introduction of ringnecks and the dude that brought them to Oregon and how many. Doesn’t say if they were wild or farmed.

Not sure if it matters honestly. Completely different habitat conditions. Might as well get used to more and more bird stocking just like fish stocking. That’s the way it’s going to go.

Idk but the kids and I have been whacking the crap out of em across the road at CFWMA. Thanks fwp, memories that will last a lifetime.

Ps lot of the roosters don’t have much tail so look for red.

Yep. They’re probably not more than about 10-12 weeks old. Same as the chickens we all eat.

Wyoming's stocking program works okay. I've hunted several of the permitted areas and then the open release sites that they stock throughout the season. I grew up hunting wild pheasants, and with that experience, hunting pen raised birds just feels like good practice for the dog and it's usefulness ends there. I've enjoyed getting my pup on these birds when he was younger but haven't hunted the stocked areas after he got out of his puppy stage. The real ridiculousness is when you see guys parked at the pheasant farms before first light so they can follow the stocker trucks to the field to shoot them right off the tailgate when they release them onto public.

The only part I have first hand experience with…

In just the three arguable “best” pheasant counties in NE MT, there were over 1 million acres of CRP lost a decade ago IIRC. Don’t have numbers in front of me but something like that. It was rather striking to see how much grass was getting broken, and to watch the crow counts and observable pheasants decline. Loss of CRP and clean farming practices are detrimental. Grass cover and decent forbs are essential for nesting and brood rearing, and Upland Gamebird Enhancement projects help increase and improve some of that, while providing access at the same time. Would rather see money funneled to that program than coyote meals on wheels.

The only part I have first hand experience with…

In just the three arguable “best” pheasant counties in NE MT, there were over 1 million acres of CRP lost a decade ago IIRC. Don’t have numbers in front of me but something like that. It was rather striking to see how much grass was getting broken, and to watch the crow counts and observable pheasants decline. Loss of CRP and clean farming practices are detrimental. Grass cover and decent forbs are essential for nesting and brood rearing, and Upland Gamebird Enhancement projects help increase and improve some of that, while providing access at the same time. Would rather see money funneled to that program than coyote meals on wheels.
IIRC, there approximately 3.4 million acres of CRP in MT in 2010 and 1 million acres in 2020. I bet the reduction in upland bird hunters correlates to that trend.

IIRC, there approximately 3.4 million acres of CRP in MT in 2010 and 1 million acres in 2020. I bet the reduction in upland bird hunters correlates to that trend.

While I am sure that bird hunter numbers have declined, it does not feel that way if you are hunting pheasants in NE Montana during the first few days of the season. There are far fewer suitable places to hunt than say a decade ago. The remaining good areas have more hunters trying to hunt them.

I've hunted up there for thirty plus years. This year was the most crowded with hunters of any year I can remember.

While I am sure that bird hunter numbers have declined, it does not feel that way if you are hunting pheasants in NE Montana during the first few days of the season. There are far fewer suitable places to hunt than say a decade ago. The remaining good areas have more hunters trying to hunt them.

I've hunted up there for thirty plus years. This year was the most crowded with hunters of any year I can remember.
I agree 100%. I was taking FWP at their word. I’m not sure they have actually provided any data to show a decline.

Wyoming has an interesting twist. I hunted Bighorn lake wildlife area last year. Since they stock both cocks and hens, they allow hunters to kill both as well. So any wild pheasant hens are fair game too. Seems like as a result of shooting hens, the stocking program is detrimental to the existing wild population. My limited experience found excellent habitat with relatively few wild pheasants....have to wait til planting day to find birds. Sad IMO.

IMO, is areas where pheasants are released, the shooting of hens should be allowed.

Half of the overpriced birds are hens, not shooting any of them that are destined for a short survival time regardless, effectively doubles the price of the birds available for taking.

Southeastern Montana is crawling with bird hunters this year. More than I can remember seeing in a long time. Fallon county is not a place I’d put on the map to go chase pheasants that’s for sure. 15-20 years ago when there was a ton of crp around maybe

Reactions: DFS
All of Eastern Montana is crawling with hunters right now.
In my 50 plus years of living right here it is the worst I’ve seen.

3 day NR bird license, and buy 1(?) or maybe up to 2? 3?(pick a number you like) 3 day license. Big game 5 day license Monday thru Friday(NR picks the 5 day window).

Back