Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana FWP makes seismic shift in elk permits

There are still problematic things in the proposal like shoulder seasons now being "regular seasons," but this is a big win.

Give these commissioners a few days to get some quiet, and then thank them for listening. Commissioners Lane, Bytorth, Walsh, Waller & Cebull did really good work trying to find some balance, and the chair has led a good, fair & civil meeting that could have easily gotten out of hand.

They all deserve to be thanked for their service and their work.

If you were a GG appointed Commissioner right now, would you be concerned for your job? Is that an unreasonable thing to wonder about?

I certainly will be sending them praise in a few days.

Montana HTers, I have followed this thread from its inception and have read every post. I try not to comment because I have little to offer on the subject, but I have been reading and watching all the way. I want to say congratulations to you Montanans for putting effort into and fighting for your wildlife and congratulations on gaining some positive ground this evening. 🍺

Does anyone know what happened with 575, 570 and 500? They were proposed to go to general- which will be a disaster. I had to pick up my son from school and missed the end of the meeting.
I believe that passed, according to the scuttlebutt that my friend told me. It ruined that region (500) when they first opened up season 20+ years ago. So much that they had to go back to only a few rifle tags given out. I'm pretty disappointed to say the least.

Good work by Commissioner Walsh and Commissioner Lane on addressing the 50 percent increase in the general firearm either-sex elk permits in their regions (4 and 7); however, Commissioner Cebull allowed HD 590 to have the 50 percent increase in the general firearm either-sex elk permits sail through, which will be disastrous for the mature age class structure of bulls in HD 590.
Maybe. They also combined 590 with several other districts.

If you were a GG appointed Commissioner right now, would you be concerned for your job? Is that an unreasonable thing to wonder about?

I certainly will be sending them praise in a few days.

I would say that this commission just saved the Governor from some really problematic issues. We get on the Gov for making the appointment of the director, so we should thank him for the appointment of Walsh, Waller, Lane and Cebull, and recommit ourselves to working with the commission as best as we can. Lesley Robinson ran a hell of a good meeting that could have easily ran off the rails, and she kept it out of the ditch all day.

I don’t understand that. Can you elaborate.
If your permit is for archery season only, you’ll be limited to hunting bulls in that HD during archery, but during rifle and muzzy, you can hunt bulls in any HD that allows bull harvest with a general tag.

I would say that this commission just saved the Governor from some really problematic issues. We get on the Gov for making the appointment of the director, so we should thank him for the appointment of Walsh, Waller, Lane and Cebull, and recommit ourselves to working with the commission as best as we can. Lesley Robinson ran a hell of a good meeting that could have easily ran off the rails, and she kept it out of the ditch all day.
I disagree--I can't believe they did what they did creating "515." Asinine from my perspective and experience hunting around there.

Edited: I'm happy it worked out for other areas of the state, but I feel like one of the eggs that got broken to make the omelet. Don't mind my pity party.

I disagree--I can't believe they did what they did creating "515." Asinine from my perspective and experience hunting around there.

I don't think the commission did a perfect job by any means, and I'm pretty unhappy about shoulder seasons being now regulations, but overall, take the win where you can and work to fix the rest.

I don't think the commission did a perfect job by any means, and I'm pretty unhappy about shoulder seasons being now regulations, but overall, take the win where you can and work to fix the rest.
Agreed, and thank you to you, and everyone else that took up the fight.

That’s where I’m at. I don’t like some of the changes to the old 590, 500, etc, but at least the elk in those areas are already 98% inaccessible without private land connections. I was a lot more worried about the Breaks, Snowies, etc.

I believe that passed, according to the scuttlebutt that my friend told me. It ruined that region (500) when they first opened up season 20+ years ago. So much that they had to go back to only a few rifle tags given out. I'm pretty disappointed to say the least.
Thanks- I was afraid it passed. Guess my many comments during the comment period and to the commission regarding these areas went unheard. I live in 575 and hunt 575,500, and 570. Making these areas general is gonna ruin elk hunting and any public opportunity in these areas.

Well that was interesting to listen to. Proud to see people like Gerald speaking up! Happy to see them put some quotas in place. My head is spinning a bit with all the implications of the changes but we avoided some catastrophe. What is the estimated completion of the new elk management plan? Seems way overdue.

I deleted my question since I thought it was answered elsewhere but couldn't find it.
Why was 270 the exception? I missed that part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back