Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana FWP makes seismic shift in elk permits

Would appreciate it too if someone could explain what the decision is. thanks!
  • Debundled 900 Permits
  • Small increase in archery units 411, 417, 426, 700 and maybe a few others?
  • Very small increase in Rifle permits in 799
  • First and only choice for Permits/restricted to that unit
Probably missing a bunch, going off memory.

• Debundled 900 Permits
mandatory reporting/digital carcass tags
a kick in the sac to whoever wrote the elk proposals

So how will this work? You purchased a general and drew a first and only permit. That general license is no longer valid anywhere but the permit unit?

So how will this work? You purchased a general and drew a first and only permit. That general license is no longer valid anywhere but the permit unit?
Only valid for bull elk in the permit unit during the permit season, but valid for cows in any unit where they are on general tag and valid for bulls in other seasons, I believe. But I could be wrong.

Good work by Commissioner Walsh and Commissioner Lane on addressing the 50 percent increase in the general firearm either-sex elk permits in their regions (4 and 7); however, Commissioner Cebull allowed HD 590 to have the 50 percent increase in the general firearm either-sex elk permits sail through, which will be disastrous for the mature age class structure of bulls in HD 590.

I'd say that they listened to the overwhelming concerns about the proposals and made some really good changes, but there's still some problems that need to be worked on.

So, the saved the afternoon?
I know my beer tastes better than it could’ve right now, so I’ll take it!

I'd say that they listened to the overwhelming concerns about the proposals and made some really good changes, but there's still some problems that need to be worked on.

So, the saved the afternoon?
Alright, I won't throw my #endtheFWPcommission picket signs away yet.

I didn’t even realize statewide “hunt your permit” was part of the proposed changes. Such a mess of stuff to keep track of. The argument for 270 being second choice sounds like there’s going to be a lot of folks hunting 270 when they don’t draw a premier rifle tag - seems like it will hurt the quality in her region.
270 is first choice but not restricted to hunt only that unit

Any other LE or unlimited bull permit will require hunters to only hunt that unit

Was great to see the bs proposals get shot down and even better to see the message sent that if anyone wants to privatize our wildlife, there's one hell of a hornets nest they're gonna be running into!

Does anyone know what happened with 575, 570 and 500? They were proposed to go to general- which will be a disaster. I had to pick up my son from school and missed the end of the meeting.

270 is first choice but not restricted to hunt only that unit

Any other LE or unlimited bull permit will require hunters to only hunt that unit
Commissioner Waller did a good job for you guys but I am concerned that this exception is a crack in the fabric of “draw a permit, stay in that unit” when the next commission meets and more people want the commission to let their unit opt out.

Can someone explain what the decision was? Been working all day and couldn’t follow along.
Here's what my notes say - these are the amendments:

Archery permits
  • Limited w/ quota in units 411, 417, 421, 447, 595, 799 – first and only choice
  • Limited w/ quota in 410, 620, 700 - first and second choice
Rifle permits
  • Limited w/ quota in 799 (702, 704, 705) – first and only choice
50% increase in rifle permits
  • Move back to 411 having 350 quota, 417 having 225 quota, 426 have 60 quota – first and only choice

270 is first choice, but not first and only, i.e. required to hunt that unit

Hope that's accurate.

Last edited:
Commissioner Waller did a good job for you guys but I am concerned that this exception is a crack in the fabric of “draw a permit, stay in that unit” when the next commission meets and more people want the commission to let their unit opt out.
Yep she did well. 270, I believe is still the only unlimited BTB unit in the state. Maybe one other, but being first choice and unlimited may keep your concerns from happening. Not sure

For the moment we can be happy

• Debundled 900 Permits
Thanks, Schaaf!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back