Montana Fall Hunt!

Ryan2388

Late post on my deer hunt. I chose to hunt near Alder MT this year for deer and elk. I took all I knew and hunted away from crowds and hunted only the weekdays.

First day I hiked into a BLM section that was only accessible by a little overlap from another section of public ground. Fun day but very windy and it never stopped and I was out there for 12 hours hiking and waiting over trails in the timber. Ton of elk sign but no elk. Saw only a little 2 point mule deer.

Day two I went to another area where I saw ton's of elk a few years back. Hiking many miles with not no elk track cut in the snow. Plenty of good deer sign, way more than the previous day. Very windy and was only busting deer as I got too close. I move down into the thick timber out the wind. Glassed another meadow where elk sometimes hangout, and nothing. Hike a little hill and stop for water. There is a little tree in front of me, and what comes walking up the other side. A mule deer buck 20 yards from me. Boom! He goes down quickly, but slides to the bottom. It's ok I got the biggest buck I saw body and antlers. Good meat for the year so worth the pack out. Process the animal and move it for the next days pack out.

Day three was just packing out the deer by myself back to my truck.

Day four was driving to a new area for elk. Spotted a herd miles away. The snow was so deep and by myself I was not going to pack that size out by myself. Have to hunt smart too.

Day five found me at a block management site I got access too. Talking to the rancher a lot of hunters had success finding elk. I was very excited. I covered every section of the property looking for tracks and found none. I did cut fresh wolf tracks. Ended the evening over a mountain meadow the rancher told me sometimes the elk move into to feed close to a bedding area. Plenty of mule deer and young bucks running around.

Day six ended up on my last morning hunt on day one's spot. Less windy and no action still on this spot. I did see fresh sign that group moved through the main trail a day before. Hiked back jumped in my truck and drove back to Colorado. Fun trip.

I tried posting photo's last night. As many people have learned sometimes they just don't want too. I need to figure out how to resize them.

The are several free online picture resizing sites that aren't picture sharing sites.
Just search "how to resize pictures".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back