Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Elk hunt

As slow as my archery season went, the rifle spoke fast........

Long intro short, I couldn’t go elk hunting Saturday (rifle opener for Montana) and everybody I could think of already had plans or was doing something else on Sunday. I was exhausted from the previous work week and waking up early to hunt deer the day prior so I decided to be a baby and just sleep in and stay home. Then the motivation sat in around 6:00am when I got a text from a buddy showing off his bull that he got on Saturday. Still I laid in bed till around 8:30 before I got up and decided that I was going to try an afternoon elk hunt, we have done it in the past and had success in the area I was going to try. It was 11:00 before I put the truck in park and got ready to enter the cold Montana forest. As I was coming up the dirt road I past a ton of campers and as luck would have it a truck was already at the trailhead to where I wanted to hunt. As I was getting my gear together two fellas came down the hill dragging a small fork horn mulie, I congratulated them on the deer and went on my way up the hill where they just came from. I could hear them talking very loud as if they just shot matching 200" monster and slamming the tailgate to their truck, I thought to myself well what do I expect sleeping in till 8:30 during rifle season.

Fast forward three hours....2:00.....I saw a bunch of deer and even chased a few small bucks around on the ridge just for fun. Still hunting that area and playing hide and seek with the deer was a great way to spend the afternoon.

All of a sudden that smell hit me; you know that musky smell that just takes you to the next level. A few more steps and I found the sign that the elk was just there maybe a few hours ago, but not far from my current location. It doesn’t matter how slow you take it or how quiet you slip through the trees for some reason the elk already know your there. This case was no different, we saw each other at the same time and I kept my rifle down because the trees were thick and the elk was already running for safety. A few seconds I heard a shot, then a minute later another shot. I thought I blew my chance at a quick rifle season so I sat down to eat some lunch and relax a bit.

After I got all packed up and back on the ridge it didn’t take but a few steps for me to smell that musky elk again. The wind was blowing right in my face and there was no hiding the fact that just below me was elk. The top is much more open than the sides of this mountain so I should have a chance if one presents itself. A few more steps into the wind and I stop to look around, to my surprise a huge elk booty is just 40 yards to my left eating some grasses. I couldn’t tell if it was a bull or cow until he raised his head and showed me the bone, I took off the safety of the 300 Weatherby accumark and tried to wait for a shot, he was offering the old faithful Texas heart shot. Finally he quartered to the right a bit and I was aiming for the last rib so the 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullet would hit the goodies and come out the opposite shoulder. I shot and as the dust settled this was my prize! As a side note, Once I pealed back the hide I was able to find my bullet and there was a 125 grain Muzzy three blade broadhead in his front shoulder.

126_zpsc91f3ecc.jpg

105_zps5f63190a.jpg

096_zps44ff2084.jpg

089_zps7463dbeb.jpg

Nice job! You get any pictures of the broadhead in its shoulder?? Always neat to see how things look around them sometimes.

Nice work, MEF!

And you got some bonus shut-eye to go with your elk so you were well-rested for the pack out.

That is excellent planning! :)

Nice job! You get any pictures of the broadhead in its shoulder?? Always neat to see how things look around them sometimes.

I sure did, didnt know if anybody would cry about those pics but since you asked I will load them up. It was neat because I skinned back the hide and found the bullet just under the hide and when I started cutting meat the point of the broad head gave me a poke, I thought it was a broken bone at first till I got my hand on it and there was about 2 1/2 inches of arrow too.

Here you go:

131_zpsfb658cb5.jpg

132_zpsa9fe2495.jpg

133_zps5cf0a721.jpg

I didnt take a pic of the bullet, wish I did but I still have that too so maybe I will snap a pic and just add it later.

Also forgot to add that in the pics you can see that its just a beautiful Montana day but as soon as that sun set and the packing began all hell broke out and it dumped snow bad. Everything was frozen solid, you know crystalized trees, my truck was shinning like it was covered in dimonds (I wish lol) and the snow was coming down so bad that you couldnt even see more than a few feet in front of your face. Made for such a pleasant pack out.

Great hunt, pics and write up! It is unreal how these animals soak up a broadhead.
btw - whats up with the gloves?

Great hunt, pics and write up! It is unreal how these animals soak up a broadhead.
btw - whats up with the gloves?

:D the gloves?????? Nothing really, tried to keep my hands free of blood is all, didnt work as planned....the blood still soaked through and got my hands all bloody. Hell, I even deboned it so there wasnt that much blood to begin with so I dont know why my hands were covered in it.

Say what you want but they weigh next to nothing in the pack and did keep a little blood off of me so when i ate my food wasnt all covered in raw meat ;). My man card (punched elk tag) is still at the butcher shop so I know I will get it back in a week :rolleyes:.

Very interesting........if I see right, that broadhead is in the off shoulder even, meaning it went through from other side and was lodged in offside shoulder?? Suprised that bugger made it ...
Thanks for sharing!

Very interesting........if I see right, that broadhead is in the off shoulder even, meaning it went through from other side and was lodged in offside shoulder?? Suprised that bugger made it ...
Thanks for sharing!

Correct, I was suprised as well when I found that broadhead like that. Unless once it broke off it tumbled around in there (all that area was a soupy mess as you can see in the pics). You couldnt even tell he was hit until you removed the hide, I would be it wasnt even this season, more than likely last season since there wasnt any indication on the hide.

Either way the archery hit was really high, this was above the shoulder bone. Hit him in the empty meaty area, nothing but a sore shoulder I bet, suprised he didnt get any infections going on.

That is crazy! Surprised he survived the winter if it was from last season. I bet he was hella stiff every morning trying to get up with that crap in there!

Nice bull. Looks a little nasty around that broadhead. I found one similar once in the backstrap/vertebra of a bull.

Nice bull. Looks a little nasty around that broadhead. I found one similar once in the backstrap/vertebra of a bull.

Yeah it was really soupy around that broadhead, I cut a big chunck out and fed the squirrles lol. Suprised it wasnt or didnt cause an infection by how nasty it really was. Couldnt even see any sign of bad meat on the other shoulder (where the arrow had to pass through).

Thanks for all the kind words fellas!!!!! Cant wait to see more pics of elk hunters success coming soon i bet!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back