Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana Elk Hunt - Now Live, ONLY ON YOUTUBE!

Great episode. I'm trying to be more intentional about "liking" media to support people. Will try to spread the love.

Curious about Nosler ammo. I'm getting a .308 and plan on trying the Nosler ammo. Would like some discussion of etip vs accubond vs partition. They claim really good velocities with the 165 gr accubond.

Thanks for doing what u could to stop the poachers. Maybe u scared them enough to make them think twice next time.

Great episode. I'm trying to be more intentional about "liking" media to support people. Will try to spread the love.

Curious about Nosler ammo. I'm getting a .308 and plan on trying the Nosler ammo. Would like some discussion of etip vs accubond vs partition. They claim really good velocities with the 165 gr accubond..

Thanks for any likes you can give.

As for ammo, pick any of those three, find what your rifle likes best of the group, and go kill some elk. Good luck.

Quick question: in the gutless method demonstration, after you detach the skull head from the spine, you say something about skinning out the head the rest of the way. Do you do that yourself or do you take the cape with the skull still in and have your taxidermist do that?

Specifically I'm thinking about skinning around the eyes and the muzzle.

Quick question: in the gutless method demonstration, after you detach the skull head from the spine, you say something about skinning out the head the rest of the way. Do you do that yourself or do you take the cape with the skull still in and have your taxidermist do that?

Specifically I'm thinking about skinning around the eyes and the muzzle.

It isn't that hard once you have seen it done as long as you go slow. The scalpel blades are a must on this. I am guessing it makes it easier to pack out also.

With that I take it in with the hide on the skull.

Great episode! I think the camera work was great considering the pace of the hunt at the end.

The gutless method video is really great. Living here in WI, I've never had to use it (yet) but it was great info. I was REALLY curious about the inside tenderloins and I can't believe how well that worked.

Appreciate that comment. My personal opinion was that the grittier style fits better for digital. At times, I think the OYOA show almost over-produced some segments and we lost a bit of that feel. We did a better job with Fresh Tracks and I hope to make even better with our YouTube episodes.

Bingo you nailed it with that comment. So much has been dumbed down or watered down for the masses that it looks like all the outdoor shows are hunting on game farms. They don't show the difficulties or failures, just the perfect camera angles and hero shots. We all know that you didn't plan on having to sprint to the animals, but that's just what makes it more fun and enjoyable to watch.

Well done, and keep up the great work. When an episode leans more to the "uncut" and as it happens type footage, it really makes me sit up in my seat, and your content has a lot of that.

We don't have regular TV, and youtube and your website are my sources for your content, so I'm really liking the the push to add more content to your channel. FWIW.

Great episode! I think the camera work was great considering the pace of the hunt at the end.

The gutless method method is great. Living here in WI, I've never had to use it (yet) but it was great info. I was REALLY curious about the inside tenderloins and I can't believe how well that worked.

I also deer hunt in Wisconsin and after watching Randy do the gutless method on a whitetail on youtube I tried it for the first time last fall and I don't think i'll ever gut another deer again (unless maybe I donate the meat where you have to) it was so easy and quick and your meat stays cleaner and so do your hands and clothing. I will say this, its a lot easier to do the gutless method on the ground than hanging. I learned that the hard way last year. the second one I did on the ground was much easier. .

I also deer hunt in Wisconsin and after watching Randy do the gutless method on a whitetail on youtube I tried it for the first time last fall and I don't think i'll ever gut another deer again (unless maybe I donate the meat where you have to) it was so easy and quick and your meat stays cleaner and so do your hands and clothing. I will say this, its a lot easier to do the gutless method on the ground than hanging. I learned that the hard way last year. the second one I did on the ground was much easier. .

I think last year was probably the first year possible to do this in WI. Prior to last year you had to register your deer at check in stations or did you drag it out with the guts and then do this at home?

It isn't that hard once you have seen it done as long as you go slow. The scalpel blades are a must on this. I am guessing it makes it easier to pack out also.

With that I take it in with the hide on the skull.
j

Thanks! I found a YouTube video on it last night and watched it. Doesn't seem very difficult. I just remember my dad talking about skinning catch from my grandpas trap line and making it sound like the finish work was pretty sensitive. Looks like most of that is really left to the taxidermist to finish getting it all ready to be tanned.

I think last year was probably the first year possible to do this in WI. Prior to last year you had to register your deer at check in stations or did you drag it out with the guts and then do this at home?

correct, last year was the first year I was able to do it because of the new laws, It sure is nice they have adopted the telecheck system! I wanted to in the past because of the super nasty ravines I hunt around. Since we had 20" of snow opening morning and where this buck was I actually drug/let him fall downhill then took it back to the barn and did it there, just because it was easier and wanted to get out of my hunting spot quicker since it was the first day of the hunt and didn't want to disturb the area if I didn't have to. It my first deer with my new open site 45-70 lever gun. what a great brush gun!
buck.jpg

I have a friend with a chrono. We were getting around 2,745 if you average them, with not much variation at all.

Penetration was great. First hit was a complete pass through. You can see him bleeding at the point of impact when I am lining for the second shot. The first shot was 195 yards, based on what we ranged following the chaos.

The second shot was 309 yards. It hit perfectly in the front shoulder pocket, destroyed the heart and was recovered from just under the skin on the opposite shoulder. Here is a pic of what it looked like when recovered.

View attachment 58904

View attachment 58905

this is pretty impressive velocity out of the 20" barrel. was this Nosler custom Factory ammo or handloads? I ask because I'm trying to figure out what to shoot out of my new Howa and I really would like to try these 168g e-tips. I'm ready to try some ammo I already have but if I don't like the results I'd like to try these. after reading this though it makes me want to start here. Matt from LSI said these 20" barreled Alpine rifles like lighter weight bullets so I'm not sure I want to shoot up some of the 180g partitions or trophy bonded tips I have in this gun.

also another question as a new soon to be western hunter. I pretty much shoot under 200 yards where I deer hunt and don't have to worry about bullet drop. how do you or other readers here compensate for quick, on the fly, real world hunting shot distances like on this hunt? going from 195 yards to over 300 yards in a few seconds doesn't really allow for turret adjustments like you see on long range hunting shows. I was planning on using a ballistic reticle to help with hold over. is this realistic? or is it better to know just where your particular load hits at these ranges and just hold over? or just use the maximum point blank range method that I currently use? I don't plan on shooting much over 300 yards because I don't practice at those ranges.

thanks, Mike

The episode was awesome, I even had my wife going " can you pause that so I can watch the rest", she doesn't hunt but mentioned how she likes the commentary and the emotion that you don't see from the other hunting shows she has watched with me. I really loved the follow up video of the gutless method.

Loved this show! It's nice to see the hustle up the hill and dump em! Do what it takes to get it done! I Do say as I get older I purposely try to stay out of those situations more but it brought me right back to my younger days and the excitement of trying to get that shot. I felt like I was the one pushing you up the hill! Well played.

also another question as a new soon to be western hunter. I pretty much shoot under 200 yards where I deer hunt and don't have to worry about bullet drop. how do you or other readers here compensate for quick, on the fly, real world hunting shot distances like on this hunt? going from 195 yards to over 300 yards in a few seconds doesn't really allow for turret adjustments like you see on long range hunting shows. I was planning on using a ballistic reticle to help with hold over. is this realistic? or is it better to know just where your particular load hits at these ranges and just hold over? or just use the maximum point blank range method that I currently use? I don't plan on shooting much over 300 yards because I don't practice at those ranges.

thanks, Mike

Before turrets we would just know where to hold. Typically I think we zeroed at 200 yards, which meant at 300 the drop was only a few inches. (Looked up a random .300 win mag load on the Nosler website, and with a 200 yard zero, the drop is 6.7".)

The key is to get practice in. Know how far it drops, and know approximately how far up that means you need to aim on a given animal (6 inches on an elk looks far different in the scope than 6 inches on an antelope to use a really extreme example).

Good show. You move pretty well for an old guy running up hill on uneven ground carrying a pack and a rifle.:hump:

Great episode.

Love YouTube as far as a distribution medium, I'm one of those unlucky Verizon customers that lost access to both Outdoor Channel and Sportsman Channel. I'm a VHX fan as well (Big fan of MeatEater and Solo Hunter too), but as long as the content is available on Youtube, not a lot of incentive for me to pay for it on VHX.

He ain't short either...he can cover a lot of distance in one step...
That's true, when i met him i didn't realize he was that tall, over coffee he said, 'oh we could have gone for a hike, but i don't have time' i was secretly kind of relieved when he said that, but i obviously didn't show it:)
Cheers
Richard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back