montana elk/deer

mixedbag

Looks like my odds probably just improved at drawing the non-res. combo tag.Always wanted to hunt in Montana.Anybody have a starting point for me to start researching a hunt area.I'm mainly interested in bowhunting elk,but may come back for a deer rifle hunt.I like to do backpack hunts and don't really want to sleep with the grizzlies out there.Any suggestions on an area of the state or forest area I should look into?not concerned with 350" elk just a good hunting experience with a good population of animals
Thanks for any help

The breaks or the belts are probably your best bet if you want to avoid grizzlies

Price is on par with other premier elk states now... actually... Montana and Wyoming are give or take a couple bucks. Believe someone else did a comparison with Colorado and matches pretty close in the I-161 thread.

I'm starting to look at unit maps for the Little Belts and Bob marshall.Are there alot of wolves/grizzlies in the Bob Marshall wilderness?What would the Little Belts be like in archery season,as far as hunter #s.How are the Little Belts for deer?Again,just looking for a fun hunt not necessarily trophy sized animals

Sytes is right - Our prices are now where they should be: Right on par with other states.

Mixedbag - There are grizzlies and wolves in the Bob. I have never run into any grizzlies, but have seen plenty of sign. I hope I run into some wolves :D I just backpacked into the Bob the first of October. It was so flippin' hot, but elk were still vocal. The Bob is great, but HUGE country. You need to be in excellent shape to hunt it effectively.

As for the Little Belts, it is great for elk and deer, but it is really thick country. The trees really make it hard to glass a lot of country, but if you are calling 'em in this isn't an issue. If you're not looking for a major trophy I would say that either of them would meet your criteria. As belly-deep said: The belts are your best bet if you're concerned with Grizzlies.

Best of luck!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back