Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana draw

Maybe everything, should be 1st choice. Otc, limited entry, unlimited. Simple. But add more limited entry. Also no spike bull harvest entire state. After 5 yrs up the qouta of bull tags. Entire state limited entry mule deer.

Maybe everything, should be 1st choice. Otc, limited entry, inlimited. Simple. But add more limited entry. Also no spike bull harvest entire state. After 5 yrs up the qouta of bull tags. Entire state limited entry mule deer.
Things need to be fixed hundreds of ways to do it. That is not where we are at.

MT Gurus. Under the new rules, what will happen to my brother in this situation:

Last year he applied for Deer Combo with 1 point and was unsuccessful. He did not apply this year and was planning on just buying a point this summer to enter the draw next year with 2 points. Did he lose his 1 point by not applying this year? I could see both ways but I read this as he needs to skip applying in consecutive years to lose the points.
I’ve been drinking tonight and need an answer

They shouldn’t re draw applicants who didn’t apply correctly. They should have been booted out of the system. I jumped to the end of the thread but that’s what it sounds like they are doing?
We did apply correctly. I applied for 411-21 as a first choice. The reg book states “first choice only” so what did I do wrong?

Attachments

• 63FE5880-C9F0-4977-B2E2-1F2512977C12.png
    63FE5880-C9F0-4977-B2E2-1F2512977C12.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
He will lose his point. "Must apply in consecutive years", says nothing about skipping applying in consecutive years. If you have a point or any points and skip applying at the first available application you lose your points.
Well SOB. What’s the point of people even applying with 1 point? Money grab

Did you apply for a second choice Also? That’s where the problem is
I did, but once again show me in the regs where it states that I can’t? You can say that the director stated in a press conference that he said it should be “first and only choice”. That’s not what the regs plain and simple.

I did, but once again show me in the regs where it states that I can’t? You can say that the director stated in a press conference that he said it should be “first and only choice”. That’s not what the regs plain and simple.
I agree with you . When the 900 series tags went away these new tags were all passed as first and only choice . But, they did NOT put that in the regs . So yes your correct . But I’m just telling you that’s why you got booted . It’s pure incompetence by the FWP again . Good luck to you in the re draw . I don’t think I’ll be entered in the 417 re draw cuz I applied only 1st choice . But I’m fine with that . I’ll hunt the general tag

I agree with you . When the 900 series tags went away these new tags were all passed as first and only choice . But, they did NOT put that in the regs . So yes your correct . But I’m just telling you that’s why you got booted . It’s pure incompetence by the FWP again . Good luck to you in the re draw . I don’t think I’ll be entered in the 417 re draw cuz I applied only 1st choice . But I’m fine with that . I’ll hunt the general tag
It doesn’t look like my tag is one of the redraw my first choice was 411-21 so it looks like I’ll be heading to Montana after all. I will not hold my breath until I see the tag in my portal. Good luck to you.

It doesn’t look like my tag is one of the redraw my first choice was 411-21 so it looks like I’ll be heading to Montana after all. I will not hold my breath until I see the tag in my portal. Good luck to you.
Huh ? 411-21 is one of the redraw and they are giving everyone a permit . So you’ll get it .

So thankful I didn't donate my hard earned dollars to this train wreck this year. I'm not gonna lie almost applied last minute as I'm sitting on a half dozen bonus point again for some odd reason. This mess has completely made my mind up to just go ahead and leave those on the table and walk away.
For the record I normally apply for one of those tags in the mix. I would have placed an archery tag as a second choice behind my rifle tag if I was given the option by the system. This is in no way shape or form on the applicants back given the wording in the regs and the fact that the system allowed multiple choices.
Furthermore what idiot would place applicants into an old system during application season and then put all of that data into a new system to run the actual draw? That is ripe for a mess to occur IMO. Total incompetence or highly intelligent thought process is how I see it.

I spoke to Hank on the phone tonight. According to him this is what happened….the “system” that was used during the application period is the “old system” which incorrectly allowed people to apply for more than one choice if they applied for a “first choice only” permit as their first choice. After the app period closed 4/1, and before the draw, they switched everything over to the “new system.” The new system could ID people who applied for more than one choice when they shouldn’t have and kicked them out of the draw. So basically FWP had people apply on one system and then had a more advanced system do the draw. I asked why they do that and not just either upgrade systems before the app period opened or stick with the “old” system for the whole draw process and he couldn’t really give an answer. So I think if pressed, that’s how he’s going to blame it on a “third” party.

Complete and utter failure of leadership and decision making.
@Mtnhunter1 the geeks always get thrown under the bus. It ain't right. I would think if'n a guy had

1) some software experience
2) loved to hunt
3) didn't mind getting thrown under the bus
4) could live off the peanuts from this circus

then he/she would be uniquely qualified to work at the FWP. Know of anyone? First two qualifications aren't required. Last two are mandatory.

• Hunters who submitted applications and are eligible for districts 411-21, 447-21, and 595-21 and entered second and third choices will receive a permit because the number of permits unallocated after the draw is greater than the number of applicants who were removed from the draw. Similarly, the 270-45 permit is unlimited, so applicants will all receive a permit.
  • Hunters who submitted applications for districts 411-20, 417-20, 417-21, 426-20, 799-20, and 799-21 and were removed from the draw will be entered into a random drawing next week. Those who are unsuccessful in this second drawing will receive bonus points.

Back