MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana delegation and public access

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
With a few exceptions, the Montana Congressional Delegation is known for its conservation ethic and promotion of sportsmens priorties. Today, Congressman Steve Daines issued the following request to his fellow Congressmen to support sportsmen priorities.

The entire Montana delegation, Congressman Daines, and Senators Tester and Walsh, are pushing for more access and sportsmen issues. Too bad the rest of Congress is not convinced of the value public lands and access can provide to local and regional economies.

Thanks, Congressman Daines.

DAINES URGES SUPPORT FOR MONTANA SPORTSMEN PRIORITIES
04/08/14

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Representative Steve Daines is calling on House leadership to prioritize and support programs that encourage outdoor recreation and increase access to public lands for Montana sportsmen.

Daines recently wrote to House Appropriations Subcommittee Chairman Ken Calvert and Ranking Member James Moran, requesting language be included in FY 2015 Interior Appropriations that clearly prioritizes increasing and improving recreational access to existing public lands.

“Many livelihoods in the West rely on responsible use of our federal lands, including sufficient access for recreational hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities,” Daines stated. “Roughly four million acres in the Rocky Mountain West are inaccessible to the public. Almost two million acres of public land in my home state of Montana alone are inaccessible, making resource development, recreation, and other revenue-raising activities difficult. LWCF is one tool used to facilitate better access to existing federal land for recreational purposes.”

Daines noted that such language has been included in prior Interior Appropriations bills and reflects the principles found in H.R. 3962, the Making Public Lands Public Access Act, which Daines introduced earlier this year.

Daines also urged strong support for the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) and the North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA), noting the important role these programs play in protecting Montana’s outdoors heritage and supporting Montana’s economy.

“As our nation continues down the path towards economic recovery, LWCF should be adequately funded to ensure that it plays the strongest possible role in revitalizing local communities,” Daines wrote. “America’s outdoor recreation, conservation and preservation economies contribute $1.06 trillion to the nation’s economy each year and support 9.4 million American jobs. Support for public lands among the American public remains consistently and overwhelmingly strong.”

Daines’ letters to Calvert and Moran may be viewed here.

###

For more information about our releases, please contact Alee Lockman at 202-225-3211.

This really is great news. Kudos to Representative Daines for standing up for access and the Land & Water Conservation Fund!

..because no democrat ever pandered during an election cycle.
Sarcastic, but point well taken, Dems sure do as well.

I'm no Dem, nor a Rep (any longer), but at least in Montana it's the Dems who have been supporting wildlife, sportsmen & women, and hunting at the state level ... year around, not just during election time.

Regardless of political affiliation or upcoming elections, it's a great thing to have a delegation united (mostly) on LWCF & Access to public lands.

http://www.mtbullypulpit.org/2014/04/good-deeds.html

Careful Ben only Democrats like hunters and Republicans are just pandering. Don't ever give credit to a politician for doing the right thing, it is always easier to throw stones at them and question their motives.

It is no wonder Republicans don't view hunters as a viable constituency, even then they try to do the right thing they get a knife in their backs. Why bother with them at all?

Nemont

It is no wonder Republicans don't view hunters as a viable constituency, even then they try to do the right thing they get a knife in their backs. Why bother with them at all?

Nemont

Good behavior should be rewarded regardless of political party. As I've said many times before, you have to be able to work with everyone in order to ensure a positive outcome for wildlife. While I am certainly more aligned with the Dems in most things, that doesn't mean I can't count many Republicans who will always stand up for wildlife and wild places.

Last session was a great example of that. Several members of the GOP did yeoman's work in helping kill bad bills or work to ensure the good ones went through unscathed.

If R's can't see that, then it's their fault for dismissing a huge constituency. If the D's take that for granted, then the constituency will abandon them. So it goes.

'Good points, Ben. It's unfortunate that what you are responding to is a sarcastic cynical, obviously partisan attempt to sound bipartisan.

Honest collaboration and ethical behavior is what should be appreciated, regardless of political affiliation.
Hunting and wildlife issues are often divisive, but usually the right and ethical solutions most beneficial to the populace and to wildlife become very clear. The special interests and money-to-few proponents usually become recognized as well. Unfortunately many of them have gained far too much political influence for far too long.

I didn't "attempt" to sound bipartisan. I like Jon Tester as I find him honest, open and even when I disagree with him I feel he votes for what he believes is best. John Walsh I believe is an empty suit filled with a hot bag of gas. Daines is a good guy, so is Gov. Bullock.

So are you saying Daines is neither honest or ethical in this letter of support for funding? Your comment was implying that he is only acting due to the upcoming election not that his actions are good for public lands users just that he is pandering.

Nemont

"Pandering" is a term with negative connotations, not a term I would use with respect to Congressman Daines. I was merely expressing that it is about time Daines acted on behalf of public access to public lands. It was not a matter of ethics as it is a divisive and difficult issue which took him awhile to sort out. The other remark was surmising that the upcoming election motivated him to take the action. I applaud him for doing so.

Now I urge him to stand with the Montana delegation in support of the most highly vetted, extensively collaborated wilderness, timber related, forest plan yet in Tester's Forest Jobs and Recreation Act. It seemingly is more difficult to get off that dime in that there are strong radical ideologies at both ends of the political spectrum opposing that Act. It is tough for some Republicans and for some Democrats to face those vocal opponents in doing the right thing for Montana.

Nemont, I am truly sorry that my rhetoric often tips that chip off your shoulder and you seemingly misunderstand and promptly become irritated at my opinion. I respect and admire Steve Daines and agree with your opinions of Sen Jon Tester and Gov Bullock. I respectfully disagree with your assessment of John Walsh, as I served with him in the Montana Army National Guard for decades. My only problem with respect to Sen Walsh is that he is a genuinely honest and good man, who I fear will be seduced into the political quagmire of Wash DC and be swayed from his basic Montana values. But in view of the legacy of Mansfield, Rankin, Metcalf and other Montana leaders, I have hope for what's best for Montana.

"Pandering" is a term with negative connotations, not a term I would use with respect to Congressman Daines. I was merely expressing that it is about time Daines acted on behalf of public access to public lands. It was not a matter of ethics as it is a divisive and difficult issue which took him awhile to sort out. The other remark was surmising that the upcoming election motivated him to take the action. I applaud him for doing so.

Now I urge him to stand with the Montana delegation in support of the most highly vetted, extensively collaborated wilderness, timber related, forest plan yet in Tester's Forest Jobs and Recreation Act. It seemingly is more difficult to get off that dime in that there are strong radical ideologies at both ends of the political spectrum opposing that Act. It is tough for some Republicans and for some Democrats to face those vocal opponents in doing the right thing for Montana.

Nemont, I am truly sorry that my rhetoric often tips that chip off your shoulder and you seemingly misunderstand and promptly become irritated at my opinion. I respect and admire Steve Daines and agree with your opinions of Sen Jon Tester and Gov Bullock. I respectfully disagree with your assessment of John Walsh, as I served with him in the Montana Army National Guard for decades. My only problem with respect to Sen Walsh is that he is a genuinely honest and good man, who I fear will be seduced into the political quagmire of Wash DC and be swayed from his basic Montana values. But in view of the legacy of Mansfield, Rankin, Metcalf and other Montana leaders, I have hope for what's best for Montana.

I applaud John Walsh's service in the Guard. I spent 6 years on active duty and know that being any officer in the military doesn't require you to be a political heavy weight. I met Walsh a couple of times, honest yes but he is is out of his league on a national political level. He is a political lightweight and not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. I never said he was dishonest, I said he is an empty suit that is full of hot air. All hat and no cattle IMO.

Nemont

I met Walsh a couple of times, honest yes but he is is out of his league on a national political level. He is a political lightweight and not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. I never said he was dishonest, I said he is an empty suit that is full of hot air. All hat and no cattle IMO.
Arrogance or insight? You be the judge. Time will tell.

Time will tell and I predict Walsh will not prevail in the coming election. His time in the Senate will be a footnote of him completing the term of Max Baucus.

Not sure why opinions are now considered arrogance but I am okay with that. I will arrogantly predict that the voters are able to discern that Walsh is all hat and not cattle.

Nemont

Last edited:
I will arrogantly predict that the average voter will not look much deeper into Daines or Walsh than the Daines "cute daughter " commercial. The race is over IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back