Montana D & E this week??

The outfitter might have applied the 29.52% increase in NR permit applications, since last year, and that would equal about 30,000 combo licenses. I'm glad I'll have 3 points when i apply for my deer and elk combo!
@Kiwi I may be wrong but I was under the impression that you couldn't gain more than 2 preference points on the combos before your reset to zero. You may want to look into that to save some heartache.

So I bought a point for deer and elk last year in Montana and was unsuccessful in drawing a combo tag this year. Should I be seeing my points increase to 2?

So I bought a point for deer and elk last year in Montana and was unsuccessful in drawing a combo tag this year. Should I be seeing my points increase to 2?
You bought a NR preference point last year but didn’t buy one this year when applying? Or you bought one this year while applying combined with the one from last year and still didn’t drawwith two of them?

The NR preference points you buy during the application apply to that years’ application.

If you didn’t buy one while applying this year and want to buy a 2nd point you’ll have to wait until the standalone points go on sale this summer. If you did buy one while applying but still didn’t draw then you should see the extra point on your account.

Common conclusion had been that having two NR preference points should’ve been a guaranteed draw this year though.

If you’re taking about limited entry bonus points then yeah, they don’t count toward the current draw and will reflect on your account for next year.

You bought a NR preference point last year but didn’t buy one this year when applying? Or you bought one this year while applying combined with the one from last year and still didn’t drawwith two of them?

The NR preference points you buy during the application apply to that years’ application.

If you didn’t buy one while applying this year and want to buy a 2nd point you’ll have to wait until the standalone points go on sale this summer. If you did buy one while applying but still didn’t draw then you should see the extra point on your account.

Common conclusion had been that having two NR preference points should’ve been a guaranteed draw this year though.

If you’re taking about limited entry bonus points then yeah, they don’t count toward the current draw and will reflect on your account for next year.
2 pref points was 100% . And if he didn’t buy one at app time this year , which he obviously didn’t , then he can’t buy one this summer . So next year if he buys at app time he will have 2 . Next year 2 will still be 100% draw

@Kiwi I may be wrong but I was under the impression that you couldn't gain more than 2 preference points on the combos before your reset to zero. You may want to look into that to save some heartache.
No , u can have 3 . Year 3 you have to apply or lose them , if u buy them for 2 years and then apply and buy another at time of year 3 app is an example . But sounds like it was still 50% is draw with 1 point on bg combo . So I fully expect 2 to be 100% draw next year

It's not like CO, you have to elect to pay extra for PP and BP in MT in addition to just applying. If you purchased a PP in this year's draw I believe you would have successfully drawn a tag. Since it sounds like you didn't, you will still only have 1 PP next year but can buy one at the time of the draw and will have 2 in the draw.

Heard from an outfitter that there were over 30,000 apps for 17,000 NR Big Game combos. Not sure where he got that info or how he got it so soon. Only 20% of his clients drew. If these numbers are accurate be prepared for outfitter-sponsored licenses to be brought up again.
Must have a bunch of annual repeat clients or poor planners.

I stupidly bought deer and elk permit points I guess instead of a preference point for a general combo.

I stupidly bought deer and elk permit points I guess instead of a preference point for a general combo.
Ok . Crap happens . Do u have 1 pref point then or none ? Guessing 1 pp for general combos will be tough draw maybe 40-50% . I’m just speculating. Numbers from this year won’t be released for a while . And just FYI the 29% NR increase of apps was for permits , not 29% increase for general combos .

I drew a tag in 2019 with one point. Then I bought another point summer 2019, and another at application time 2020. In 2020 I drew with 2 points. In summer 2020, I was ineligible to buy a point. I bought a point at application time 2021 and did not draw, so I currently have 1 preference point.

Call me stupid, but I still can't figure out the entirety of the preference point scheme in Montana. I just buy a point as often as they let me.

Bummer! Well, odds should still be around 100% (?) next year if you buy that extra NR Combo preference point when you apply. You can always try for antelope if you were especially eager to hunt in MT this year.

Thanks Brownbear. I plan to buy my 3rd point on application next year and believe this will work ok after checking with MT Fish and Game. But after reading the reg's (i believe the wording is wrong) I was surprised to learn that preference points expire 3 years from the day of purchase but I plan to use the points within this time.

Ok . Crap happens . Do u have 1 pref point then or none ? Guessing 1 pp for general combos will be tough draw maybe 40-50% . I’m just speculating. Numbers from this year won’t be released for a while . And just FYI the 29% NR increase of apps was for permits , not 29% increase for general combos .

Have one point for permit deer/elk and one for general combo.

Decided to burn my 3 points on the 900 permit after the last 2 years while archery hunting in the permit area we called in bulls the first morning and couldn't do anything about it.

I drew a tag in 2019 with one point. Then I bought another point summer 2019, and another at application time 2020. In 2020 I drew with 2 points. In summer 2020, I was ineligible to buy a point. I bought a point at application time 2021 and did not draw, so I currently have 1 preference point.

Call me stupid, but I still can't figure out the entirety of the preference point scheme in Montana. I just buy a point as often as they let me.
Yeh kudos to u but u shouldn’t have been able to buy one in 2019 in summer .... if u apply , whether u buy one or not your ineligible in the summer

Back