Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana D & E this week??

Montana gave us the year off for the first time in a loooonnnng time. Not sure we're going to miss a lot if it continues to be dry.

I could be wrong, but I feel like in my lifetime every state in the west will be 90/10 or less and all residents will have to draw an elk tag and it won't be every year. Like I said, I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But I plan on living a long life.
If Montana managed elk, R would never have to draw and there is a massive amount of room to grow the elk herd in Montana.

Such a shame.

As for WY...I doubt I'll ever see R having to draw for general tags...doubt I'll ever be without 3 elk tags a year in my pocket from here on out.

But, then Wyoming actively manages elk instead of treating them like knapweed...so, there is that.

If Montana managed elk, R would never have to draw and there is a massive amount of room to grow the elk herd in Montana.

Such a shame.

As for WY...I doubt I'll ever see R having to draw for general tags...doubt I'll ever be without 3 elk tags a year in my pocket from here on out.

But, then Wyoming actively manages elk instead of treating them like knapweed...so, there is that.
Haha. Yeah you might be on to something there. And I hope you're right.

Son and I both struck out on NR Big Game Combo with one point. We were successful the last 2 years, so I guess our luck ran out. Focus shifting to WY...

1618441228436.gif

I am unsuccessful for the second consecutive year. Last year on the Big Game Combo and this year on the elk combo. Is there NR draw data somewhere because that does not seem possible to have PP coming in and not draw.

Just
I am unsuccessful for the second consecutive year. Last year on the Big Game Combo and this year on the elk combo. Is there NR draw data somewhere because that does not seem possible to have PP coming in and not draw.
Just sign up for alternates list. They tried to give me an elk tag 3 times last year. Lol I was a ways down the list on the alternates also.

I don't think there is anyway you bought a PP last year and this year (meaning you had 2) and didn't draw the elk combo because our party drew the elk combo with 1 PP. This can't happen if all the 2pp people don't draw.

There you go this hunter recruitment business is really paying off.
Yeah I don’t think we need another YouTube video or podcast on how to apply for (insert state). Clearly people have figured it out by now. It’s funny because a lot of people pushing this got in early on draw schemes or are in the twilight of their hunting careers or can afford more expensive hunting opportunities.

Yeah I don’t think we need another YouTube video or podcast on how to apply for (insert state). Clearly people have figured it out by now. It’s funny because a lot of people pushing this got in early on draw schemes or are in the twilight of their hunting careers or can afford more expensive hunting opportunities.
IMO it is people trying to make money off of a resource in the disguise of conservation. Or just straight up hunting egos. And anybody that complains about not drawing a tag every year or every other with Montana’s season structure hasn’t looked at the other western states or doesn’t care about the resource.

IMO it is people trying to make money off of a resource in the disguise of conservation. Or just straight up hunting egos. And anybody that complains about not drawing a tag every year or every other with Montana’s season structure hasn’t looked at the other western states or doesn’t care about the resource.
I agree all these people pumping “hunter recruitment” are really pumping client recruitment to make money off their platforms with an increased audience.

I agree all these people pumping “hunter recruitment” are really pumping client recruitment to make money off their platforms with an increased audience.
I'm not sure if I'd go that far. Seems a bit overly cynical and I'm not a beaming optimist by any means. But I think there's 3 contributing factors here.
1. The notion that hunter numbers are in decline, which has led to movements like r3 to boost numbers.
2. The idea that more hunters has long been thought to make our voice larger and thereby the conservation effort larger...both in policy and in $.
3. A rise in western hunting demand

I don't think the meateater crew or randy sat down 10 years ago and said "man, let's make more hunters so we can make more money off them". That would seem a bit dubious. I don't think it's unreasonable for loads of people to start to like something that most of us like so much we sit on this forum and talk about it 365 days a year. But if we're not careful...we'll love hunting as we know it....to death.

Only 1 way to prevent that.more better habitat for more critters.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'd go that far. Seems a bit overly cynical and I'm not a beaming optimist by any means. But I think there's 3 contributing factors here.
1. The notion that hunter numbers are in decline, which has led to movements like r3 to boost numbers.
2. The idea that more hunters has long been thought to make our voice larger and thereby the conservation effort larger...both in policy and in $.
3. A rise in western hunting demand

I don't think the meateater crew or randy sat down 10 years ago and said "man, let's make more hunters so we can make more money off them". That would seem a bit dubious. I don't think it's unreasonable for loads of people to start to like something that most of us like so much we sit on this forum and talk about it 365 days a year. But if we're not careful...we'll love huntingas we know it....to death.
Since this movement has started have we seen our hunting get better? I mean it’s “all” about the wildlife and conservation. From my very narrow view so take it for what it’s worth, it has not. Things were done either for money or ego and I’m not sure which. And it started a shit storm that won’t be reversed. The resource is limited and always has been.

Back