Montana cow elk help

MITCHMO

Hey everyone, out here hunting unit 321 trying to fill a cow tag with no luck. Can’t find anything but a few tracks. Been hunting high up. Near the border thinking they would be headed into idaho with the snow. Sat on a migration trail today most of the day freezing cold and lots of snow. Some fresh tracks on it yesterday so we came back but no more tracks or sign. Been putting on 8-12 miles a day and just not finding much. Found wolves, bears, and a lion though. Anyone willing to PM me any advice? Like elevation they are seeing elk or if they are finding them in the thick timber or in the meadows? If the southern half of the unit may be better than the northern half? We’ve been in the northern half and wow is it rough up on the divide. Going to take a drive to a new area in the morning. Using some WiFi from a store to post this so I’ll try to check back on this in the morning when we drive by to try plan 27. Any help is appreciated!

Best to ya, Mitchmo! Hope you get on 'em. Hopefully a PM finds your way. You've been around. Far from a new member seeking honey holes out the gate.

I can't help With location, but I have to ask. How much time are you sitting and glassing? Im definitely guilty of moving too much and not glassing. Good luck out there!
That was my thought too when I read this. 8-12 miles/day does not leave a lot of time to work the glass.

That was my thought too when I read this. 8-12 miles/day does not leave a lot of time to work the glass.
You guys are probably spot on. It’s been really thick timber most places but my legs are shot. We tried yesterday to sit all day and glass. It it was terrible visibility. Note the background in the pic 🤣
108098A5-E898-46DE-9202-9D487464C7B9.jpeg

Well tag soup for me. Finally gave up. Made one last climb to the divide but couldn’t see due to the weather. I don't feel too bad cause I did fill a bull tag a couple weeks earlier which is a story for another day.
5190671B-BF42-4C44-86F8-D851A1785F03.jpeg

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back