Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana Breaks Rifle Tag - Any Advice?

jpaulsonmorgan

Hey everybody! I got lucky and pulled my breaks rifle permit with 12 points for 410. Even cooler is that I drew it with my two good hunting buddies as a party. We are pretty fired up about it and hopeful to see some photos of what any of you guys and gals have taken with that tag or if you have any other advice you are willing to share. I have spent plenty of time in the breaks in the spring and during a few archery hunts so I am well aware of the gumbo!

Man, what a sweet tag to have. I have always wanted to hunt that country with a rifle. Congrats and I'm sure you guys will have a blast!

Man, what a sweet tag to have. I have always wanted to hunt that country with a rifle. Congrats and I'm sure you guys will have a blast!
Thanks, I appreciate it! We are looking forward to seeing what we can turn up!

Congrats on the tag! I'd archery hunt it as a means of scouting before rifle kicks off. Walk, Glass, Repeat.
Thank you! We are planning on being there for every weekend of archery to do that and then save our time off to use during rifle!

Thank you! We are planning on being there for every weekend of archery to do that and then save our time off to use during rifle!
I had a LE rifle tag a couple years back, and the summer scouting was great and invaluable for learning access, water, etc., but the archery hunting was far more fun and productive for really scouting. Sounds like you've got your priorities straight as far as time off goes. Good luck with your hunt!

Hey everybody! I got lucky and pulled my breaks rifle permit with 12 points for 410. Even cooler is that I drew it with my two good hunting buddies as a party. We are pretty fired up about it and hopeful to see some photos of what any of you guys and gals have taken with that tag or if you have any other advice you are willing to share. I have spent plenty of time in the breaks in the spring and during a few archery hunts so I am well aware of the gumbo!
They will be grouped up by rifle. Look for spots on the border of areas that were closed during archery season. Might have to go a mile or two away from the road.

Don’t put to much pressure on yourself to kill a big bull that you don’t enjoy the experience. You will see tons of elk so enjoy it. Helped a buddy for a week over thanksgiving there. Looked over lots of elk. You will see tons of 250” and smaller bulls. The unit definitely isn’t what it used to be but there are a few giants still around

Congrats on the tags, to be honest, from what I’ve seen hunting mule deer in that area in November I can’t imagine not being able put down a some toads. Not uncommon to see bulls over 300 nearly every day out there. I could send you a bunch of pins..

Don't overthink it. Like others have said, enjoy it. It's easy to get bent all out of shape and have regrets when you're done; I speak from experience.

Don’t put to much pressure on yourself to kill a big bull that you don’t enjoy the experience. You will see tons of elk so enjoy it. Helped a buddy for a week over thanksgiving there. Looked over lots of elk. You will see tons of 250” and smaller bulls. The unit definitely isn’t what it used to be but there are a few giants still around
Thanks! I am going into it without any kind of number in mind trying to avoid putting too much pressure on myself but that is real for sure, started feeling it as soon as I drew. Looking forward to seeing elk like that vs. the general unit feeling of taking the first legal elk I see.

Spend as much time as you can in one chunk of time as possible and enjoy. The breaks are a special place and please show us some pics.
Thank you, can't wait! It looks like I will be able to string together 9 days in a row during rifle so I hope that will be enough! It's my favorite place to be, I have always daydreamed about rifle hunting them while I am out there in the spring!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back