Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana Breaks Rifle Tag - Any Advice?

Congrats on the tags, to be honest, from what I’ve seen hunting mule deer in that area in November I can’t imagine not being able put down a some toads. Not uncommon to see bulls over 300 nearly every day out there. I could send you a bunch of pins..
That is the kind of news I like to hear! We are excited to just see multiple bulls hopefully. I would never ask but won't say no to any ideas you have! I will be in touch!

Elk hunting the Breaks is one of the best elk hunting experiences I've ever had. Like brockel said, just enjoy it. Kill a bull you are happy with. mtmuley
Thank you, sir! That is the plan, I just want to find one that gets me excited.

Have to agree with the others. I got to take part in a breaks hunt last year opening weekend. My buddy got a heck of a bull. Multiple bulls in the 300 range. Probably the most fun elk hunt I've been on. Come back and let us know how it goes for you.

Have to agree with the others. I got to take part in a breaks hunt last year opening weekend. My buddy got a heck of a bull. Multiple bulls in the 300 range. Probably the most fun elk hunt I've been on. Come back and let us know how it goes for you.
On public? There are quite a few outfitters and clubs in that zone. They are good at holding elk.

I agree that it should be fun for the OP. Any hunt is as good as you want to make it. But sometimes they are easy and sometimes they are hard, regardless of the reputation of the zone.
Edit: I should add that the OP should ask again in August. A lot depends on rainfall and food growth. Drought years can be much tougher than wet years and the game plan should probably change a little depending on that.

Been in the area a few times during early rifle season. I have seen them bulging well into November. Just something to keep in mind while you are packing your gear up. Everyone we ran into up there was very helpful with information regarding animals. Something you don't see to often anymore.

Never hunted that unit for elk, but had a tag in a different unit a couple of years ago. Was one of the best hunting experiences of my life...from summer scouting to putting that euro on my wall. Looking at that thing still gives me a stupid grin.

Best advice is not to get all hung up on score. Enjoy every minute, and shoot one that gets you excited. The Breaks are incredible country to wander with a tag in your pocket.

On public? There are quite a few outfitters and clubs in that zone. They are good at holding elk.

I agree that it should be fun for the OP. Any hunt is as good as you want to make it. But sometimes they are easy and sometimes they are hard, regardless of the reputation of the zone.
Edit: I should add that the OP should ask again in August. A lot depends on rainfall and food growth. Drought years can be much tougher than wet years and the game plan should probably change a little depending on that.
Yep, 100% public in a unit in the breaks. We were only there for 3 days so my experience was very limited, maybe we got lucky, but our experience sounds very similar to others chiming in here.

Great tag, I've hunted the unit with archery many times with some success. I've seen plenty of big bulls but never been able to close the deal. If I ever hit the super tag I'll know how you feel! As a non resident I don't have a serious chance at drawing the rifle tag and I prefer bow hunting so I stick with archery and the ability to hunt the breaks every 2-5 years. I'll be there in September some time this year and hopefully I'll have some luck. The only advice I can offer is avoid roads and trails as best you can putting a mile between you and the road makes a difference. I can tell you during bow season they wear the roads out. The rougher terrain helps weed out those with cow tags. Keep in mind Bowhunters have more trouble with the more open terrain so it might be worth looking where there are few trees. It has to be a different game with a rifle because there are 1/10 of the hunters. The quality of bulls is not what it was in the 90's and the archery crowds are worse than before the draw began but it's still the best tag I've had. I wish you the best of luck! If you put in the work you should find quite a few 6pt bulls and maybe a really big one.

Great tag, I've hunted the unit with archery many times with some success. I've seen plenty of big bulls but never been able to close the deal. If I ever hit the super tag I'll know how you feel! As a non resident I don't have a serious chance at drawing the rifle tag and I prefer bow hunting so I stick with archery and the ability to hunt the breaks every 2-5 years. I'll be there in September some time this year and hopefully I'll have some luck. The only advice I can offer is avoid roads and trails as best you can putting a mile between you and the road makes a difference. I can tell you during bow season they wear the roads out. The rougher terrain helps weed out those with cow tags. Keep in mind Bowhunters have more trouble with the more open terrain so it might be worth looking where there are few trees. It has to be a different game with a rifle because there are 1/10 of the hunters. The quality of bulls is not what it was in the 90's and the archery crowds are worse than before the draw began but it's still the best tag I've had. I wish you the best of luck! If you put in the work you should find quite a few 6pt bulls and maybe a really big one.
We have no problem hiking however far needed to get away from the roads and what not so I will keep that in mind, thanks for the input I appreciate it! My biggest concern is probably the number of cow hunters and deer hunters over there. How long will you be out there this fall for archery? I will spend every weekend during archery over there to use at least for scouting purposes. Good luck to you and thank you for the info, maybe we will cross paths out there this fall!

Never hunted that unit for elk, but had a tag in a different unit a couple of years ago. Was one of the best hunting experiences of my life...from summer scouting to putting that euro on my wall. Looking at that thing still gives me a stupid grin.

Best advice is not to get all hung up on score. Enjoy every minute, and shoot one that gets you excited. The Breaks are incredible country to wander with a tag in your pocket.
That sounds like you had good luck when you had it! Congrats! All I am going into it hoping for is a bull that gets me excited! I am just happy to have the opportunity and hopefully get to see a lot of bulls!

Been in the area a few times during early rifle season. I have seen them bulging well into November. Just something to keep in mind while you are packing your gear up. Everyone we ran into up there was very helpful with information regarding animals. Something you don't see to often anymore.
I am finding with this tag there are a lot of people out there willing to help and offer input they have from the area, it really is a breath of fresh air with the way hunting is becoming anymore!

That is what I like to hear! Do you by chance have a photo of your buddy's bull? Only asking out of excitement!

drew an archery permit for that unit. Im excited to say the least, Shooting the first decent bull I find tho. I would hate myself if I ever thought to hold out for something giant when I have only ever gotten one bull in my life.

drew an archery permit for that unit. Im excited to say the least, Shooting the first decent bull I find tho. I would hate myself if I ever thought to hold out for something giant when I have only ever gotten one bull in my life.
I have spent time with friends archery hunting the unit before and I think that is a great mindset! There is a lot of pressure during the archery season but you should still see a lot of elk and have opportunities! Good luck to you and maybe we will cross paths!

I have spent time with friends archery hunting the unit before and I think that is a great mindset! There is a lot of pressure during the archery season but you should still see a lot of elk and have opportunities! Good luck to you and maybe we will cross paths!
would say say the pressure is similar or less to archery season during in general units?

I'll try to get about a 2 week trip in for archery. I always have a couple non hunting days at the end of my trip due to flying and renting a vehicle( I reside about 2300mi away) . I have to allow time for processing and freezing if I'm lucky. I have an aunt in Lewistown so there is time to visit and help her out around the house. Always something to do in 406. A couple of times I have been fortunate enough to get an elk early and I change focus to deer it has worked the opposite before too. I always go for the combo and pursue either species. I won't usually hunt whitetails because there are plenty of them at home. One thing I will say is unless the mulie numbers high are most of the deer hunters will be after those river bottom whitetails. Typically the elk don't hang around the bottoms when the willows drop their leaves. Cow elk hunters if memory serves me in 410 are around 400 tags and success rate is only like 50% which I read as not trying or road hunting. Good luck!

would say say the pressure is similar or less to archery season during in general units?
I don't think it is any worse, it is such a big unit and the elk can be so nomadic that it has never been a problem for us to see elk and have encounters regardless of how many people we were running into! Good luck to you my friend!

Reactions: KB_
Back