Montana Bighorn Poached

Sad. Sheep hunting as been a dream of mine since I was younger. My grandpa has a north American grand slam and a Marco polo. It really sucks to see one get taken illegally... 1 less for people to hunt who are willing to pay the expense to go or have waited countless years for a tag.

Agreed with Ben, that's a pretty minor penalty

I agree with @BuzzH. 27 years old, lying to FWP, and knowledge of what these are worth all means he knew exactly what he was doing and thus deserves a higher level punishment.

You think?

Considering buying a hunt in Canada is probably 40K...yeah, 4K to kill an 8.5 year old ram in the breaks is a pretty good bargain.

And no, 10 year suspension is not enough either...lifetime ban is more appropriate.
Need to adjust my previous comment. Buzz, you're right. 10 years is insufficient. Lifetime does sound fitting.

From the article in the Helena IR. "The sheep in question was estimated at 8 ½ years old but did not meet measurements to qualify for the record book under Boone and Crockett." So I am assuming it didn't qualify as a trophy under MT law? I don't know. Just speculating.

@Big Fin Not sure that two data points create a conclusion, but a ram was poached on the CSKT reservation last year by some tribal members. Supposedly that was one reason why the tribal biologist lowered the number of tribal licenses this year. I do agree with @MTelkHuntress in wondering why isn't the fine maxed? 8.5 year old rams don't just grow on trees around here.

This kind of thing is maddening.😡 I was glad the law had changed when I found a dead head this year. A few bad apples spoil it for the rest of us.
Doesn't take many "bad apples" to really put the hurt on a limited resource like bighorn rams.

There was a good reason for the law in the first place, and because some feel they have to possess a dead head, rather than just leaving them lay, it opened the door for this type of thing.

It will happen again...and again...and again.

BTW, I agree that it would be nice to be able to pick up and keep one that died from natural causes, its not worth enough to me to be able to do so, to change the law and immediately start seeing an uptick in this type of chit.

The only reason that ram died was because there was a legal loop-hole for that poaching SOB to try to worm his way around the law.

Law needs to be changed back, IMO.

The only reason that ram died was because there was a legal loop-hole for that poaching SOB to try to worm his way around the law.

Law needs to be changed back, IMO.

You make a great point, however the ability to pick up and keep a skull may have contributed, the Ram died because of a persons decision to kill it. Unethical and immoral people don't need to have an avenue try to get around it. If they are looking for a way around the law to achieve their goal, they will find one. A person could argue that having hunting equipment or access to the area contributed to this SOB's actions. Bottom line, a person is responsible, not the law. 🤔

You make a great point, however the ability to pick up and keep a skull may have contributed, the Ram died because of a persons decision to kill it. Unethical and immoral people don't need to have an avenue try to get around it. If they are looking for a way around the law to achieve their goal, they will find one. A person could argue that having hunting equipment or access to the area contributed to this SOB's actions. Bottom line, a person is responsible, not the law. 🤔
The ability to get a plug legitimizes it, and makes it able to be displayed, showed off, transported and I believe transferred/sold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back