Montana bear hunt

r-22 pilot

I'm trying to line up a spring Montana archery bear hunt. I am a ND resident and from the research that I have done you can buy the tag over the counter. I'm just curious if anyone has done this hunt and if you have any tips or info. that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Haven't done it with a bow, but it is very doable. You are right, you can buy the tag OTC. Just go online and make sure you have taken your bear ID test beforehand. Also, you need to buy your bear tag by a certain date, prior to your hunt. Sorry, can't remember that date or how many days prior.

Also note that some of the areas have harvest quotas and the quotas can fill fast due to the female subquotas.

Good luck.

Thanks for your service. It is greatly appreciated.

Another thing to consider is that there is no specific archery spring season, meaning you have to do it during the rifle season and while wearing orange. Not that it makes it impossible, but it is something to consider.

I would look at Idaho, there are some 2 bear areas even for non residents. Affortable tags. Hounds and baiting is allowed un like Montana. Baiting and archery go together quite well.

Some things to keep in mind. Some units close on May 15, some on May31, some on June 15.

I live in the NW part of MT and I think this region has the most bears in the state.I could be wrong but that's my opinion. The drawbacks to our spring season is that it ends on May 15 which is when bear hunting is just getting good. I would not recommend hunting any area before May 1 due to lack of green grass and a lot of snow that can seriously hamper access.

Finding green newly sprouted grass is the key to spring bears. Bears are almost strictly herbivores for several weeks after emerging from hibernation. I've had the most success by hunting at the highest altitudes that have fresh green grass where the bears are not bothered by a lot of human intrusion.

Find the grass, then glass and glass and glass some more. Evening hunts have always been the most productive for me but that's when I concentrate my hunting time so I haven't really given mornings a fair chance.
One nice thing about bear tags is that unless you designate for a specific zone around Glacier N.P. and a couple other areas in the NW you can hunt the whole state. That way if the area you start hunting in closes due to a full quota or on May 15 or May 31, you can move to a different area and hunt until June 15. Potentially you could hunt bears from April 15 to June 15, although I would recommend you make the trip between May 1 and June 1. Come too early and the bears won't be out. Come too late and some bears will have rubbed hides.

Bears are perfect for spot and stalk hunting.

Tags should be purchased by April 14. Anyone buying a tag after April 14 must wait 10 days before hunting. ( I think its ten days, it may only be five)

Last edited:
This will be a hunt I will try to make next year myself. I enjoyed the Montana bear episode, and have been doing a little research ever since. I will try to find a nice spot to camp along a stream, so the wife can have a fishing trip also.

This will be a hunt I will try to make next year myself. I enjoyed the Montana bear episode, and have been doing a little research ever since. I will try to find a nice spot to camp along a stream, so the wife can have a fishing trip also.

A lot of the rivers and creeks are blown out that time of year. Something to consider.

I'll second what Gerald had to say. He's right on about time frame and what they love. You need to be ready to be patient. I spent all Spring hunting Central MT and little bit on the Front Range in the wrong areas and not deep enough in the woods with zero results. In the end, the only bears I saw in were by complete accident in June. One at 7400' elevation and the another at around 6000'. This is after the season ends and I wasn't even thinking about bears since I was scouting for Wapiti. Even in June they were high up. The later you can go the better and the cool part is that both were totally different sizes and colors. The first was cinnamon and the second black as night. Good luck, have fun and be safe. I have to ask, what's w/ r-22. Was F-22 taken? Or is r-22 like slang for cool little Piper Cub!

Last edited:
We generaly hunt spring bears in SW Montana around the end of May. There is a lot of movement and things are pretty green. Good Luck, Fair Chase bear hunting is one of the most rewarding hunts I've done. My wife and I had a stellar season in 2009. We tagged out on the same weekend. Here's a clip I posted on youtube. Mine was bigger...... Sorry, I had to throw that in. She's got me beat with everything else:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDqA_gSI62U

I will definately be going in the spring po 2011 ! I am ready. I have hunted bear in Pa. my entire life, but never out west. I cannot decide, rifle our flintlock. It would be great to connect with the old smokepole!

A licences bought after 14 April can't be used for 5 days after purchace and must be bought at a FWP office.

Last edited:
You have alot of good info! Region one has probably the best bear hunting in the lower 48. There are tons of bears here and not just black bears, it is not uncommon to see several grizzlys while hunting the high country in a day. I wish we could hound them to make it a little more fun! I hope I draw a Idaho hound handle permit this year! Anyway I have shot a few with a bow and I like walking gated roads the best. They grass up good and once you see one you can make your move. If you are lucky enough it will be coming toward you then check wind and hop off road and when he walks bye shoot him. The tail end of the season is usually best, but it all depends on the snow pack and how well spring comes along. Good luck wish you could shoot a few!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back