Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana archery

Mainewoods

I did an archery elk unit in Montana 9/13 - 9/22, and even though we did not get a bull, I had an absolute awesome time! For a tent, we used a slumberjack outpost 4 man tipi. We split the weight (about two pounds each) and this worked really well and to be honest, this was a great set up for two guys. Rugged tent which I purchased for ~$100, and perfect for two guys over six feet. I'll probably install a stove jack if I decide to use it in the later seasons. I like the floorless style for this type of hunt.

We got into elk, but man, they were real quiet the first week and we think the heat and air quality (smoke from western MT and ID fires) had an effect, but what do I know, I live on Cape Cod. It rained or sleeted at some point every day, so on day 5 we came out, got a room and dried stuff off. Tent didn't leak, but things got damp, especially the down bags and insulated jackets, and we needed just a recharge. Temps got into the high 60's, but down to the 30 at night. We got back in the next morning, and the next day things really picked up and we had elk bugling on two ridges. The next two days we had two close encounters were we got the bull to within about 100 yards and screaming at us, but I just didn't have the experience, confidence or whatever, to get him to commit and come in closer. It was friggin awesome to say the least! I had the tag and was the better caller, so I think that was limiting as well. Seems beneficial to have the caller standing back a ways, but that didn't happen.

One evening next to a wallow, we thought a bull had snuck in to 70 yards just in the thick trees and was raking limbs, but the sound was weird. Come to find out, it was a bear breaking limbs and eating the pine nuts. Thank god I didn't calf call, haha!

The last morning I woke up with smoking coming under the tent. The fire was miles away, but the wind changed from the NE and rekindled the fire and blew the smoke our way. That morning I had the bull answered non-stop, and we stayed downwind and we able to get in close. He came down off a ridge to about 100yards but would not cross a little open washout, which we didn't know was there at the time. If I had, I would have gotten right up to our tree line and maybe gotten a shot across. 60 yards was my limit, and I was pretty confident at 50. The bull eventually took his cows down the ridge and went silent and into the dark timber.

We had a lot of "well, in hindsight, we should have done this", but in general, even though we didn't harvest an elk, it was a great experience for first time elk bow hunters, and to be honest, first time I really gave a crap about bow hunting. We were 2-3 miles in and didn't see another sole in the woods. I feel that if I had another day or two, we could have sealed the deal, maybe. I never felt deflated, (well at first I did when nothing was answering, but then it really lite up,) and just wanted more, so elk hunting is all I think about and I'm driving my wife crazy!! Bozeman MT is a pretty awesome city!

I'm still chomping at the bit with my unused tag, but doubt I can get back before the season end. At 49, this is only my 3rd elk season, and man, I feel like I've been missing out all these years. I got a bull my first year in CO, but struck out last season as well.

Best of luck you everyone during the rest of the seasons, and I'll be chasing whitetails in the northeast soon!

big burn.jpg
new 2.jpg
new 1.jpg

IMG-3649.jpg

better luck next year! Stick to CO man I live here and have trouble getting into legal bulls on public. Had private permission this year and whiffed my shot on two good bulls… I know what you mean about the feeling of missing out, and talking your wife’s ear off about it.. I’ve only really been hunting for 5 years, now it consumes me…
sounds like a fun trip, thanks for sharing.

better luck next year! Stick to CO man I live here and have trouble getting into legal bulls on public. Had private permission this year and whiffed my shot on two good bulls… I know what you mean about the feeling of missing out, and talking your wife’s ear off about it.. I’ve only really been hunting for 5 years, now it consumes me…
sounds like a fun trip, thanks for sharing.
Oh man, that's tough about the missing the two bulls! I'd be sick to my stomach. I've been hunting for a long time, but this elk stuff is new and so addicting, haha! Good luck next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back