Montana 1 upped by Idaho in Wolf take shenanigans.

Current Idaho count 1500 wolves w/ 500 taken out each of the past two years?
That's pretty fuggin out of control!

However, 90% is a dangerous chicken game w/ USFWS.

Current Idaho count 1500 wolves w/ 500 taken out each of the past two years?
That's pretty fuggin out of control!

However, 90% is a dangerous chicken game w/ USFWS.
The take recorded is just by means of harvest. There's no other record of pack to pack kills, or other times wolves die. Do you think that wolves are reproducing at a 30% rate each year? Out of control would mean the populations increasing not stable.

I don't disagree with your position SS.
Same for MT.

I find it a bit questionable we average roughly 1/2 the annual harvest (245 avg past 10 years) of our neighboring state, Idaho - yet MT alleges we have approximately 2/3rds the wolf population (900-1000).

Meanwhile...

Screenshot_20210420-211230_Chrome~2.jpg

Original plan agreed to roughly 150 wolves in Idaho's wolf management plan. Where did that number come from? Why did they even put a number on it if were not gonna use it? We have roughly 90% to harvest to get near that number according to the article. I see no problem with trying to get the original management plan back on track.
I do however see a problem with how they want to do it. I dont like the "contract" killing idea. Also I never liked the ATV/snowmobile chase idea. I dont understand why they gotta do controversial things in the stupidest manner possible to make it more controversial.

Last edited:
If hunters aren't killing wolves then it is because they don't want to. The hunter bag limit is 15 per year, the trapper limit is 15 per year (and the season is basically open year round.) If you are a certified trapper and hold a hunting license, you could also use your 15 trapping tags on "un-restrained" animals. This means you can shoot them and put a trapper tag on them.

To me this demonstrates that Idaho hunters want to blame wolves for everything, but they have no desire to actively chase them.

We could shoot a bunch of wild horses and burros and put their poisoned carcasses out. That would do it. I'm sure the Farm Bureau would help defray the costs.

Lots of rough edges.

Legislature/Politics dictating management to f&g.

Try maybe 500 wolves, 150 not so much.

Private contractors I.E. livestock producers being paid with hunting license dollars to shoot wolves.

If hunters aren't killing wolves then it is because they don't want to.
Unless you're Randy Newberg or Bear Grylls, dog meat produces no valued freezer food. The bang for the buck is not there. It's not a matter whether people don't want to kill them, imo. I know I've put my time trying to wack one...

I'm not opposed to culling wolves. Govt employees or contract hunters.

@Hilljackoutlaw I believe 150 is the magic # USFWS set. If crossing below 150, it presents the State's inability to maintain a wolf population and poses the potential for Feds to "protect" the wolf population... again.

The five-year federal oversight period for Idaho and Montana ended in 2015 yet wolf populations remain well above minimum federal management objectives of 15 breeding pairs and 150 wolves in each state.

Unless you're Randy Newberg or Bear Grylls, dog meat produces no valued freezer food. The bang for the buck is not there. It's not a matter whether people don't want to kill them, imo. I know I've put my time trying to wack one...

I'm not opposed to culling wolves. Govt employees or contract hunters.

@Hilljackoutlaw I believe 150 is the magic # USFWS set. If crossing below 150, it presents the State's inability to maintain a wolf population and poses the potential for Feds to "protect" the wolf population... again.

The five-year federal oversight period for Idaho and Montana ended in 2015 yet wolf populations remain well above minimum federal management objectives of 15 breeding pairs and 150 wolves in each state.
Agreed on all points. Those SOB's are hard to hunt. I've seen one in the field since they were introduced. I was at full draw on one while bow hunting. The shot didn't happen.
In my lifetime tally, I've seen more lions than wolves.

I also bet 98% of the good ol' boys with "smoke a pack a day" window stickers on their rigs don't even have a tag.

4. MANAGEMENT DIRECTION The goal of the IDFG plan is to ensure that populations are maintained at 2005-2007 population levels (518-732 wolves) during the 5-year post-delisting period through adaptive management under the guidelines of the 2002 State Plan. Consistent with the delisting rule, the state goal is to ensure the long-term viability of the gray wolf population. In order to ensure the population goal is achieved, the Department will maintain ≥15 breeding pairs (floor threshold). The Department will maintain balanced wolf and prey populations, and ensure genetic transfer among states through maintaining connectivity and functional metapopulation processes. The Department will manage wolves to minimize conflict with humans and domestic animals.
So the goal of the Idaho state management plan that was enacted after 1000's of comments for both Ranchers and Hunters came up with this number.

When you get a full house of R's all the work and views of the masses don't matter. You go for broke, to impose your will on all. https://idfg.idaho.gov/old-web/docs/wolves/plan08.pdf

So the goal of the Idaho state management plan that was enacted after 1000's of comments for both Ranchers and Hunters came up with this number.

When you get a full house of R's all the work and views of the masses don't matter. You go for broke, to impose your will on all. https://idfg.idaho.gov/old-web/docs/wolves/plan08.pdf
This is the Utah Corollary to the North American Model. OR - To paraphrase a wise man I heard once - "Politics is the art of getting what you want, F everyone else."

Last edited:
Original plan agreed to roughly 150 wolves in Idaho's wolf management plan. Where did that number come from? Why did they even put a number on it if were not gonna use it? We have roughly 90% more than that in the state according to the article. I see no problem with trying to get the original management plan back on track.
I do however see a problem with how they want to do it. I dont like the "contract" killing idea. Also I never liked the ATV/snowmobile chase idea. I dont understand why they gotta do controversial things in the stupidest manner possible to make it more controversial.

The 150 wolves/15 breeding pair is a minimum necessary for genetic interchange. But it's only 1 part of the puzzle when it comes to why wolves were delisted. That population is the absolute rock-bottom basement, and it has to be viewed through the lens of the ESA prescriptions on other pieces necessary to ensure continued state management. On of the most important factors for maintaining state management is an adequate regulatory mechanism to maintain populations.

Idaho & MT are putting themselves on shaky ground if they are successful in reducing numbers to the basement level.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back