Moly: 1st time out

1_pointer

I've decided to try shooting Moly coated bullets in my dads '06 so I can switch from regular bullets to Barnes with little fuss. Shot my first moly bullets today and things went great. They, 125gr Sierra's, shoot about what they did before moly, just a smidge over an inch. Though with the same load they were about 1.5" higher. So far so good. I'm hoping to pick up some 165gr X's coat them and try them this weekend.

Hey Pointer, make sure you have a CLEAN barrel before you start shooting Moly or Blue bullets! And I mean clean. If not you lay moly over the copper and fouling and is a real mess to get it all out! SOme rifles love it and some do not. They all tend to lose some vel. and the load has to be reworked most of the time! If not you are lucky! Have fun, and remember after cleaning a barrel shooting moly it takes up to 5 rounds to lay moly back down to settle the bullets. Good luck!
Mike Murphy

Murph- Thanks for the heads up. I did make sure the barrel was clean, I spent four days doing it!!! :( So far, the Sierra 125's hit to the same POI. The Barnes XBT's I shot this weekend weren't to bad. From 56-57gr IMR 4350 the first two were under and inch and the third opened the group to just over 1.5". All strings were shot within a few minutes so next time I'm gonna wait and see if barrel heating is the cause of the fliers.

Watch close to see if the initial point of impact changes. One of the frequent problems that is encountered with moly coated bullets is a change in the initial point of impact between sessions. It's caused by build up in the bore and a change in both the vibration frequency of the barrel and the elapsed time for the bullet to exit. If this starts, it's a good indication that your barrel is not completely clean.

Personally, I passed no the entire moly coated bullet kick. There is already enough crap fowling the barrel and I see no need in adding to it. What I did try, to my regret, is a teflon treatment for the bore. Your supposed to clean the barrel and swab it with this teflon suspended in some type of solvent. It works great for about three shots. After that, nothing I could do would make that rifle shoot. Finally sold it to a friend who wanted the action.

:cool:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildfan99
Back