MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

MN Archery Bear Down

mconway951

Hey Guys some of you may remember I posted pics of a bear that we had on our hunting land here in the metro area of MN back in July that destroyed our deer feeder. Well he stayed around the property we ended up with over 1000 pics of him, the actual land owner wanted him removed and since I have never got a bear I happily accomodated that request.
The buckthorn brush is so thick out there you literally can not walk through it unless u are crawling or cutting a path so I cut an opening about 10yds around with chainsaw and setup a ground blind and a bait site. Yesterday was the first day of the MN bear season we baited him like usual last night but when the 4 wheeler drove away this time there was two of us in the blind. about 7:45 this guy came in to get a meal. At 7yds on the ground eye to eye with only a bow in hand he looked like monster to me. I hit hime with the rage 2 blade he woofed and took off into the brush. I collected my thoughts and we waited a few min then went back to house got a bite to eat and went to track him down.
After a short track job about 50yds or so we found my bear. He dressedd out at 168 lbs so not a big bear but average for MN
Honestly with all of the things that this guy got into and the time I put into getting him and the fun of checking the bait everyday and cams everyday even though he is gonna be in my office i will miss yogi.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 300
NO need to miss him with him on the wall, congrats on a great looking bear! Any bear is a good bear.

Congrats on the bear!! I have been meaning to hunt MN for black bear for the last few years but the elk and deer hunts always get in the way or take all of my money...

Very nice!

Congrats on a complete pre-scout to photo finish!

Plan on some bear sausage? Or?

So question on the weight....... You said Dressed out at 168#, does that mean after ya gutted him you took him out whole and threw him on a scale ?

So question on the weight....... You said Dressed out at 168#, does that mean after ya gutted him you took him out whole and threw him on a scale ?

after he was shot we drug him out the 50 yds or so took pics then gutted him and loaded him up on 4 wheeler and took to the walk in freezer

Last edited:
Your first bear, and with a bow?
Very nice indeed, even without these credentials.
He's quite a bit bigger than he looked on the trail cam pictures.

Your first bear, and with a bow?
Very nice indeed, even without these credentials.
He's quite a bit bigger than he looked on the trail cam pictures.

I thought the same thing when i walked up to him but as far as I can tell in the trail cam pics there is only one bear out there we are gonna keep baiting and see if another one comes in because in this area of MN you get two tags when you buy your lic so who knows maybe I can tag one more.

Congrats, too bad you didn't call me to video it, at 7 yards that would have been cool footage.

nice minnesota bear. be back up there again next year to try and get my second one.

don't listen to log dawg. he was supposed to call me and get together for a meal and drink last year when I was there. he was a no show. probably upset about what the bears did to the vikes..........:eek:

Back