Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Miserable weather hunt pics.....Let's see em!!

BlakeA

With the weather hitting close to triple digits along with it being very dry in many places this time of year, it's always fun to look back on past hunts that make you cringe because of the memories of the bitter cold and miserable conditions. It's funny how the most miserable hunts often times turn out to be some of the best hunts.

One of the many times I've questioned my own intelligence was this past winter. Due to spending the majority of my fall chasing elk I had yet to hunt deer. The archery season closed in 2 days and the weather was literally 20 below zero. I knew I would kick myself all off season if the season closed and I didn't go even once.

Miserable would be an understatement. Spot and stalking when it's -25 is no joke. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING was frozen. I went to nock my arrow and the nock shattered. As much as the elements sucked, I was in my happy place. Bow in hand and tag in pocket. Somehow, after a lengthy stalk, my Hoyt functioned perfectly and I was lucky to place a perfect arrow in this old guy. Good memories. I'm enjoying the summer heat right now but I would be lying if I said something in me is kind of excited for another miserable hunt this fall...

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 267
2014 Dall sheep hunt in the Alaska Range. Conditions not conducive to finding white sheep. Doesn't seem so bad now in hind sight.

Last November in Central Wyoming. I enjoyed one day of glassing bulls in 70° weather, then spent the rest of the week looking at this. Drifts kept me out of where the elk were at, and I glassed a some lesser country from the county roads. Those late hunts aren't as easy as Buzz makes them look.

15095570_10100824900884046_6142314328378561455_n.jpg

Awful cold but I wouldn't classify it as miserable. 2016 NV cow elk in January.
DSCN0698.jpgDSCN0692.jpgDSCN0690.jpg

My 2014 cow elk in NV. Second week of January. It was pretty cold and not too much snow but what made it miserable was the thick nasty forest of junipers and mahogany trees we had to pack it out through.DSCN1243.jpgDSCN1245.jpgDSCN1242.jpg

Hammock camp during a muzzle loader hunt

Attachments

• hammock.jpg
    hammock.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 143
I drew special access to a CA DFW property a couple years ago. It was 84 degrees at the parking lot at 330am, and the needle hit close to 110. Everything was pokey and stuck to you. Miserable
Picture438.jpg
Picture435.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back