Misc Archery Questions

AvidIndoorsman

Hoping to get more serious about archery this year. Shooting a longbow 52lb at 28inches.

Most of these are more trad bow oriented... though maybe not
1. Aiming... both eyes open or close one? (Curious what you do when you rifle hunt)
2. How many arrows do you have, like in general and in the field (do you buy 6 or a dozen when you order)
3. Quiver, I have one on my bow but I've seen folks using more traditional hip and back quivers... thoughts?
4. What's the equivalent Minute-of-Jug for archery
5. At what point can I start using #tradhunter on insta

There are several methods for "aiming" (or not aiming) a trad bow. If you're shooting purely instinctively, you'll probably keep both eyes open. Gap shooting, string walking, etc. might be more precise with one eye closed. FWIW I shoot my compound and my rifle with one eye closed.

There are several methods for "aiming" (or not aiming) a trad bow. If you're shooting purely instinctively, you'll probably keep both eyes open. Gap shooting, string walking, etc. might be more precise with one eye closed. FWIW I shoot my compound and my rifle with one eye closed.

Yeah I shoot my rifle with my eye closed as well... and have been shooting both eyes open instinctive, figured it was worth an ask.

Both eyes open. Depending on species I may add a magnifier, but usually 1x.
Once I got dialed in with my tuning, I laid in a mess o' arrows and heads. I bought a gross of arrows for a song when Gander went under, and take new ones out as I lose or damage them.
Hip quiver or ground stand for practice - bow quiver and tree hook for hunting.

As far as accuracy, if I can hit a 4" target reliably at any range, I consider that ethical for deer or antelope. I practice at twice the expected range to ensure that external influences, such as buck fever or trigger panic, don't cause unethical shots. My practice targets are set at 30, 50, 75, and 100 yards from the X. I can move if I want to take shots from odd distances. Can't really envision taking a 40+ yard shot, but want to make sure I'm not launching hail Marys at any range.

Hoping to get more serious about archery this year. Shooting a longbow 52lb at 28inches.

1. Aiming... both eyes open or close one? (Curious what you do when you rifle hunt)
I keep both of mine open for my recurve, left eye closed for compound, left eye closed for rifle
2. How many arrows do you have, like in general and in the field (do you buy 6 or a dozen when you order)
I try to have at least a dozen, but you may want to do only 1/2 dozen until you figure out your setup
3. Quiver, I have one on my bow but I've seen folks using more traditional hip and back quivers... thoughts?
I have bow-mounted quivers, but a hip quiver would be nice for the range
For trad bows, maybe 6" at 20 yds...but it's really fun to shoot a trad bow at 40-50+
You're nearly there already, all you need is a possibles purse to round out your kit

2. I usually carry 4 in the field because it seems like a good even number and broadheads take up a lot of room in the quiver. They’re also usually sold in packs of 3 so I buy 2 packages, use 2 of the heads for practicing and only shoot the other 4 a few times to make sure they’re flying straight but not getting beat up from regular use.

5. While you’re at the bow shop deciding which trad bow to buy.
Maybe even a couple weeks before when you’re letting your fans know you’re thinking about “making the switch” to become a #tradhunter/ebha

1. Both eyes open
2. A dozen
3. I prefer a bow mounted quiver, but in all honesty I’ve never tried anything else so take it for what it’s worth.
4. For me it’s repeatable within a 4-6” circle.
5. See @MTelkHuntress answer.

1. both for my recurve, 1+squint compound, 1 rifle.
2. 1-2 dozen at home (I buy two dozen at a time), 4-5 in the field.
3. I tried the hip mounted for a while and ditched it, it's nice to be able to maneuver the arrows with the bow around or through brush.
4. What about jugs? I mean I like them and all, not a huge fan of the minute ones, but they can get too big too.
5. If you own know someone who owns one and they let you shoot it, it's gram worthy.

...can't help myself, Jack Bauer and Indiana Jones are the only people in history who should be seen with man bags.

"Laddie, the kilt will be obsolete only when real men are obsolete. " - Probably said by a Scottish service member

I know kilts were warn in WWI I'm not sure if sporran were part of battle dress.

1: both eyes on everything
2: I buy by the dozen, fill my quiver and keep 6 at the truck. If I need my truck arrows something horrible has happened.
3: i think the bow mount is the handiest and quietest
4: jugs are jugs no matter the size
5: you have to grow through #strugglestick first.

Both eyes open
At least a dozen
I like a bow mount quiver with four broadheads and one judo point for the wabbits and grouse and such
I don't know nutten about no jugs
Your not allowed to be a traditional archer if your on Instagram, nope aint gunna happen.

The most difficult aspect with trad is finding your anchor point imo. Took me years to find mine. Now I can keep a flight at 30yds inside the dia. of a paper plate. Works for me. 40 is a stretch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back